25 Owners, have you warmed up to that blade notch??

I keep wanting a 25, just for the sake of getting something new and different. Every time I look at the pictures of the 25, my eyes are drawn to that transition notch between the jimping and the rounded spine of the blade. I swear I am not OCD, but looking at that notch drives me crazy for some reason, and I know I'm not the only one. I am completely aware this notch does not affect the use of the knife as a tool, and it has solved some manufacturing issues for CRK, so please don't school me about how it doesn't matter. If the 25 was my only knife, and my life depended on it, I wouldn't care, however.....I don't want to spend that much cash on something that bugs me.

My Question:

I was wondering if any like-minded folks who have owned the 25 have gotten used to the blade notch, or even come to like it as part of the design in some way? I notice the prototype 25's didn't have it, so it's an afterthought even from CRK.

I never found it to be an issue. There are things I don't like about the 25 and those things make me care about the 25 less, and therefore I treat it like the tool it's supposed to be. The appreciation that comes from use then begins to overcome the things I don't like about it. It's a damn fine tool. So far...

I have no issue with the notch. As a matter of fact I was thinking that the 25 has the nicest blade profile of Sebenza's.

I keep wanting a 25, just for the sake of getting something new and different. Every time I look at the pictures of the 25, my eyes are drawn to that transition notch between the jimping and the rounded spine of the blade. I swear I am not OCD, but looking at that notch drives me crazy for some reason, and I know I'm not the only one. I am completely aware this notch does not affect the use of the knife as a tool, and it has solved some manufacturing issues for CRK, so please don't school me about how it doesn't matter. If the 25 was my only knife, and my life depended on it, I wouldn't care, however.....I don't want to spend that much cash on something that bugs me.

My Question:

I was wondering if any like-minded folks who have owned the 25 have gotten used to the blade notch, or even come to like it as part of the design in some way? I notice the prototype 25's didn't have it, so it's an afterthought even from CRK.

While there are characteristics for which I'm luke warm on the 25, I actually do like the blade notch. It's part of the great eye for detail in Chris's designs -- he implements orderly transitions between dissimilar surfaces. I like the rounded spine (haven't found that detail on any other company's production knife -- nice), and I like the 45 degree chamfer on the jimping (that's quite uncommon as well). Some designers would handle the transition in a somewhat uncontrolled fashion, perhaps left to the whim of the guy in the grinding room handling the spine rounding. The notch allows that transition cleanly and efficiently. Nice touch.

You can't be serious.:D:)

Some interesting opinions here! Personally I think the transition between the spine and the jimping on the 21 looks more refined, but I am glad not everyone is bothered by it on the 25. Hairlesstwinkie is not alone in his displeasure, there's lots of negative opinions out there about the infamous 25 notch. The only reason its worth discussing, is because most people wouldn't buy a CRK unless they enjoyed fine design, high quality, and noticed the little things that make these blades seem worth the money to us. The devil's in the details with these knives. I'm still on the fence, but tend to agree the notch looks out of place and steals from the lines of the knife, but again it's still just a knife!

Last edited:
Hear is the jimping to spine transition on the 21. I guess this was done by hand and might be a little more labour than the router-work on the 25. Don't know, just my guess. I like the "tombstone" shape formed where the rounded spine meets the flat of the ramp.

DSCF7663_zps97943196.jpg

I actually liked it eventually, and it does make the blade look cool to me actually. Plus i kinda like feeling up my sebenza 25 right there with my finger, it's pretty comfortable :D. That sounds kind of wrong, but i am being honest it does feel kind of right to put the tip of your index finger right there when doing certain cuts. I don't have a 25 anymore, but it's one of my more missed CRK's so i plan to get one later.

I have owned a couple older Sebenzas and I really like the 25...It's evolution and chris did a outstanding job...IMO.

IIRC, folks were slow taking to the Zaan at first. :)

I carry my 25 a lot and while I notice the blade notch sometimes while using the knife it does not bother me at all. Its not that I like it but its not that I dislike like it either. The notch is certainly not something that would cause me to not consider a 25.

I was able to tolerate it but I sold my 25 so its not an issue for me anymore.

Hear is the jimping to spine transition on the 21. I guess this was done by hand and might be a little more labour than the router-work on the 25. Don't know, just my guess. I like the "tombstone" shape formed where the rounded spine meets the flat of the ramp.

DSCF7663_zps97943196.jpg

I'm fairly certain the spines are still rounded by hand. There is a lot of finish work done by very, very steady hands.

Yeah I believe you are right about the hand rounding, but with the notch on the 25, you would not have to be as careful to keep it perfectly even, as the 'notch' provides you with a defined end, if you get what I mean.

Back