3 knife combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexromic

Gold Member
Hi there,looking to make an light,medium,heavy duty GSO combo on my rotation.Thinking about 3.5(edc,biking,hiking),then 5.1(medium duty) and either GSO 8 or 10 for heavy duty ,chopping mostly.Will have 20CV blade steel on smaller one and 3V on medium and bigger blade.What do you guys think.Looking for suggestions,thanks.

Hi Rex
Sounds like a great combo you have planned. Should cover all potential situations
I went for:
Gso 4.7 (hike)
Gso 6 (medium survival)
Gso 8 (chopper)
For my applications the gso 8 makes more sense than the gso 10 since it will be easier to carry on hikes and backpacking trips

Hi Rex
Sounds like a great combo you have planned. Should cover all potential situations
I went for:
Gso 4.7 (hike)
Gso 6 (medium survival)
Gso 8 (chopper)
For my applications the gso 8 makes more sense than the gso 10 since it will be easier to carry on hikes and backpacking trips
Great combo you have there,my only question is isn't 4.7 a little big for lets say smaller finer tasks.For my combo I was thinking even about 2.7 as smaller blade.

It all depends on uses my goto would be:
7/7
But I know the 4 makes a great small chore knife my wives really excels at small fine task. It was surprising to me.

In my thoughts there's not much needed past the 7/7. But if you wanna cut down a giant red wood for shelter I woul go with a 10 or 12. I think the perfect combo would be a 7/7 piggybacked with a 3.5. And a 2.7 would make for a great edc.

I like my 10, gets a lot of use scraping bark and chopping up branches or limbing out trees :thumbup:

P1020118.JPG

I ended up selling my GSO-5.1 to fund another project, but it was a great size for an "all around" knife...

IMG_0667.JPG

... though I'd consider it a bit big hunting or hiking, GSO-4.1 or SK4 or 3.5 suits me better there, though I don't have a 3.5 (but my pre-order will come someday)

GSO-4.1%252520Comparison%252520007.JPG

I love my 5.1 its great! I had an esse LS and as soon as I got the 5.1 I handed off the LS to a bud. The 5.1 IMHO is an excellent all around. It will bust down plenty big enough logs for fire or shelter. Still does some of the fine work pretty good to for a larger knife.

The gso 4.7 is not a small knife for sure but for general use I prefer a knife around 4.5 to 5 inch
I don't tend to use blades smaller than that too much

Great combo you have there,my only question is isn't 4.7 a little big for lets say smaller finer tasks.For my combo I was thinking even about 2.7 as smaller blade.
Rodger gave a good answer. Others could have much more valuable experience, but for my needs (fire prep, casual wood work) I enjoy the 5 more than the 3.5 and I'm looking forward to trying the 4.7 and 4.1. For someone who is making trap triggers or preparing fish a lot then a small knife might be better.

What would be the difference beet wen 7/7 and 8 for chopping?
Take a look at these specs. The 7 has a less-tall blade and will be lighter. I almost got one to keep on my pack as my large-medium knife, but changed my mind at the last second. The 8 is designed to be a smaller all-around knife like a more portable 10. I think the taller blade and more weight will make it a better chopper.

7/7
Blade Length: 7.25” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Cutting Length: 6.75”
Blade Height: 1.50"”
Blade Thickness: .180"
Overall Length: 12.46"
Weight: TBD

Blade Length: 8” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Height: 1.75”
Blade Thickness: .190"
Overall Length: 13.51"
Weight: TBD

For myself:
Edc-2.7

biking,hiking-5! Probably 4.1 in the future

medium duty-5 now, 4.7 or 6 in my future :)

heavy duty ,chopping-someday maybe a 12, but I plan on doing a lot of chopping and batoning and wood processing with my starter 10

Now my mind is shifting to 5 knife combo,thinking of 2.7-3.5-4.5-5.1-8 ,blaming you guys for this :).

Ok, Rex, when you say combo, you're talking about a set that you'll pick and choose from based on your current adventure, right?

When I think combo, I think of the 2.7, 4.1 and 10 to take with me on a big trip to cover any and all cutting needs.

I'll definitely have a wide array of GSO's ready to rock when the starters get rolling, very similar to your list of 5 blades

Ok, Rex, when you say combo, you're talking about a set that you'll pick and choose from based on your current adventure, right?

When I think combo, I think of the 2.7, 4.1 and 10 to take with me on a big trip to cover any and all cutting needs.

I'll definitely have a wide array of GSO's ready to rock when the starters get rolling, very similar to your list of 5 blades
Agree with you,having 5 blades and being covered for your cutting needs and having choice of ,like you said to pick up any 2-3 knives you want for the trip.Variety of choice for the right occasion.

I am a total noob.

When I bought the 7/7, the thought of having a combo set did not come into my consideration, but if I were to really pack a combo set it will be the 3.5 or 4.1, a 5.1, and an 8 or 10.

Personally I think 5.1 is a very versatile built. Good enough for light chopping, batoning, and even some finer camp craft work. I have no experience with it and whatever I know was acquired through all the video reviews so I hope I am right.

Now that I have a 7/7 on preorder, I know a 5.1 really isn't that much of a difference but I am still wanting one. Probably wait for the Factory 2nd.

I am a total noob.

When I bought the 7/7, the thought of having a combo set did not come into my consideration, but if I were to really pack a combo set it will be the 3.5 or 4.1, a 5.1, and an 8 or 10.

Personally I think 5.1 is a very versatile built. Good enough for light chopping, batoning, and even some finer camp craft work. I have no experience with it and whatever I know was acquired through all the video reviews so I hope I am right.

Now that I have a 7/7 on preorder, I know a 5.1 really isn't that much of a difference but I am still wanting one. Probably wait for the Factory 2nd.
Yep,my thinking too about 5.1,very versatile knife.Only one knife to have ,would probably pick up 5.1.

There's really no wrong way to do it as long as you like the knives you have. Start with your favorite knife and if you think you'll need more you can decide on their specific roles then. I'll have the option with overlapping sizes that I can have one knife to do most things well or a set to do everything easily.

From my experience with an ESEE 6 (similar in specs to the 5.1) I think you're right on with your assessment. The overall size will help in doing big stuff and the choil will change the balance and let you get closer to the cutting edge.

Lastly, most factory seconds might be a thing of the past since Guy has more of his own equipment and can fix things that used to be unfixable.

If I could have only 3, it would be: 4 (original version with skeletonized handle), 5.1 and either 10 or 12 (haven't held the 12 yet, so can't be sure).
If I could only have 2 - original 4 and new 7/7 or 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back