3 Scenarios, what do you bring

I'm really glad to see this question well received, and even more excited to see the varied answers, which was sorta the point! Cheers to all the varied ways people choose to carry!

#1- I edc a folder. This is because in the people's republic of communist maryland fixed blades draw too much attention (unless you are participating in some outdoor activity like hunting, fishing, camping or hiking). I wish I could say I EDC a GSO 3.5F (that is my imaginary S!K Folder) but its usually a Les George VECP or a Southern Grind Bad Monkey. Sometimes I pocket carry my necker.

#2- On any of the above mentioned outdoor activities, my 3.5 is on my belt. If I am kayak fishing, the necker is on my neck. Its better for quick access and I can just ring it and don t have to put it down for tieing knots. When hunting, its the 5.1

#3- if I was going unsupported, it would be the 5.1. I am thinking of getting a 12, which would take that roll. I can say though. The 5.1 is all I would ever need if I could only have one S!K knife. Its a jack of all trades.

Last edited:
Does the law state no fixed blade carry?
I typically carry my necker II no matter what, a GEC electritions knife(at work, a case Texas toothpick at home), and one of three spyderco's ; a Manix 2 @ home and if its work or woods time I carry a endura 4 or my paramilitary 2.

I also agree i can't wait to see a folder from survive!!

In Los Angeles County most folders are fine but fixed blades are a no go. Not sure about the rest of the state

In Texas you may carry a 5.5 inch fixed blade, concealed or not is no matter. Anything larger and you must have a CHL and conceal said knife. I personally don't wanna try to conceal a gso 10.

There's also other criteria, but length wise I believe from what I've read in case law on the matter that that's the jest of it.

Maryland law is very vague about knives. (EDITED TO REMOVE POLITICAL NAME CALLING. sorry guys). Maryland's laws about knives include poorly defined styles of knife, such as dirk, bowie, and such. So in urban, suburban areas fixed blades catch funny looks. In western MD or more rural areas they are commonplace.

Last edited:
Keep political mumbo jumbo out of the discussion.

Thanks

Jason

In Los Angeles County most folders are fine but fixed blades are a no go. Not sure about the rest of the state

The knife laws are so vague out here in Riverside. I carry my 4.1 on my belt with my shirt covering most of it and I'm sure it's considered concealed but I've never had an issue with police out here. Of course it's not as populated as LA county! I had a Spyderco Military confiscated by police when I was working off of Ceasar Chavez on a construction site because the blade was to long. The officer was cool and returned it a few hours later but he told me to leave it at home.

If a Military was too large I'd be concerned with carrying a 4.1.

I'm thankful I've never had one taken from me.

Sorry I derailed the thread. Lets get back on topic

The numbers are in! because I'm a nerd, and I figure if I'm going to ask a question like this I should compile the info. Here are the current winners:

1 - (tie) 3.5/4.1 with 6 votes
2 - 4.1
3 - 5.1

The 5.1 was a come from behind winner in the "only tool" category just ahead of the 10... i will keep my spread sheet updated and if we get more responses I'll post an update! Thanks for all the responses guys!

One last fun fact, the 4.1 got the most votes total at 14, the 5.1 was next with 12.

I'm not surprised about the 5.1. It's a damn good knife even if it has a finger choil!
I still want a 6 some day.

thats what I have always seen, i thought it was going to crush in this poll. I'll say it again, I'm not a huge choil fan, but the 5.1 is the kinda knife that a choil works on.

Back