300 Series History 1966 to 1990

This one throws a wrench in the pattern as it's a 1999 Camillus made Buck slip lock and still has the full flat grind. DM

Hate to throw a wrench at your wrench, but if that's a #334 Millenium Trapper, (smooth black scales tells me it is), according to the database provided by 300bucks that model was made by Buck, not by Camillus. I can't upload the pdf of the document here, but I checked the entire spreadsheet and that's what it says about that model; perhaps 300bucks will pipe in and confirm? I know that they used hollow ground blades on other Buck-made Trappers, ie; #312 & #314, but they obviously used flat ground on that knife. On the spreadsheet the #334 was listed as one of "Chuck's Bucks".
The #329 Trapper was made by Camillus, but it was an SFO for SMKW, and was never in the Buck catalog.

I have just come across this post. Mr.300 ,once again thank you for the effort and time to share you knowledge.
As a Schrade collector, I could not believe the photo of that 1966 Buck 301.
I have not see a good photo like that before.
I have some good photos of my later model 301.
image.php

I think I asked Buck 300 once before, if the first 301 came in a box... Ken.

Last edited:
Catching up here, it was warm so worked outside.

First Sonny14 is strong in the faith, he is filled with the spirit. But to his credit, my list is incorrect. This big ole folder is a knife made by Camillus, which made their own model, almost a twin, this was made near the end of their manufacturing demise. It was special ordered by SMKW's to be a BUCK contract knife for sale only by SMKW's. I assume they ordered it with flat ground blades as their own in-house version had the same. White out that list box and write in Cami. , my mistake in typing. I have one and especially David's knife is a parts knife. Camillus made them on contract for SMKW's as numbered limited edition only. All others are from across the tracks in some manner or another.

To answer pinnah's question, yes all those Buck made 80's era 300s were flat. When they changed they used up all the old blades so you may have both in one year on a model or two. Sometimes what seemed like regular manufacturing changes and actions become the bain of the hard core collector. My 'bain' has gotten bad and I don't even look anymore.

Catching up here, it was warm so worked outside.

First Sonny14 is strong in the faith, he is filled with the spirit. But to his credit, my list is incorrect. This big ole folder is a knife made by Camillus, which made their own model, almost a twin, this was made near the end of their manufacturing demise. It was special ordered by SMKW's to be a BUCK contract knife for sale only by SMKW's. I assume they ordered it with flat ground blades as their own in-house version had the same. White out that list box and write in Cami. , my mistake in typing. I have one and especially David's knife is a parts knife. Camillus made them on contract for SMKW's as numbered limited edition only. All others are from across the tracks in some manner or another.

To answer pinnah's question, yes all those Buck made 80's era 300s were flat. When they changed they used up all the old blades so you may have both in one year on a model or two. Sometimes what seemed like regular manufacturing changes and actions become the bain of the hard core collector. My 'bain' has gotten bad and I don't even look anymore.
Thanks for the save 300, I only know what I read in the database. The #334 is listed as made by Buck on the document titled: "Buck300ListD"; I will make the necessary correction on my copy to avoid future confusion. At least I identified the knife in the photo correctly. Thanks again 300, (or should we call you Yoda?).

Saying, '--those 334's with serial numbers stamped in the bolster, Buck's Limited Edition emblems and the inked wording on the blades are complete and correct.' Complete in the manner they came forth from the Camillus factory. Those lacking any of these items are to be looked upon as parts made by Camillus then sold as parts after they closed their doors in 2007 and later (possibly) assembled by someone else. DM

Last edited:
You can call me 'soda'.....by the tightness of my pants it should be diet....300

Since, we don't know if these above mentioned 334's were unfinished knives, rejects or parts assembled later. They still should be viewed as Camillus made knives. This is a odd example but 'these type knives' were covered in a discussion on the 307. As some of these appeared later in the same manner and were considered as Camillus made. DM

Here's another 334 from parts. As you can see didn't get the emblem but it had been already cut for it.

Thank you 300Bucks! My dad had given me a stockman knife when I was in elementary or jr high school. Over the years, I have always wondered what year it was made etc. It turns out to be one of the the early ones with the indented bolsters.

Ric

gsea, a handsome example. Does your's otherwise look well finished? All your's seems to lack is the blade inking and the 2 emblems. The same as mine. 300 has one like yours. Except with the Buck, hammer & bolt shield and no blade inking, no Buck's Limited Edition shield and no serial number. Plus, no clam box. A while back I emailed Joe Houser, asking if Buck still had the Limited Edition shield. He wrote back saying those are scarce and long gone. Shucks! DM

Last edited:
W waybeyondgone , welcome to the Buck Forum. Other than the model 334 and 317 these models are not my forte'. There will be someone along who has done more research on the model 301 than me. Are the handle pins brass on yours? Plus, it looks like someone sharpened down
the spey blade to a pen blade. A nice old model. Thanks for posting a photo of it. DM

Monty Python - "Bring out your dead." thread.

As time has passed I would tell you that as a Camillus made knife the model "parts" could have changed in making that version on Jan 01 or Dec 31 of 1971 but it still makes it knife of that period. Carve this in stone "Early 300 series Buck 'pocketknives' can have lots of bumps in the road. Never say never or sure to parts ID. Use your best judgement." Just before 71 the Schrade contract went out and the Camillus had to get rolling. Say about your family knives as you like, all old Cami records are lost for history. 300

036C5581-FC2F-4AF1-8152-DEE4199D540F.jpeg 8BF8370C-ABE8-4E79-A41F-CA4A3A8DAAA9.jpeg ED815344-4186-47DB-967C-9F82FCB7CA4E.jpeg A0A50C4D-8A01-41F9-ABFB-FE38EEAE49C5.jpeg FBBEC11A-A22B-474B-8706-654BA5567118.jpeg E6A75823-5608-4FDC-B5D3-6534C76FE448.jpeg E613B2C5-5D5B-41CB-BC7A-FA14AAA42D3A.jpeg A1A014E2-1776-4B6F-A2AB-A119F31D5FC8.jpeg 412CE5CE-B85C-45DD-A9C1-AFD0BCB31C90.jpeg 1C097564-368F-45D1-A8B0-FB5389738DD5.jpeg
Over the last couple of weeks I have thrown out some history on different threads as requested. But it is spread out and would be hard to find. I pulled that info together in this thread so that it would be easier to locate for someone doing a forum search. This info will 'help' figure out your Buck black sawcut slipjoint folding knife if it was made between 1966 and 1990.

First things first.
To be straight up accurate, Bucks first slipjoint was the 117, back in the lean-to shop days, they took surplus war lifeboat knifes and forged new clip blades to go into the handles. These are few, rare and over priced (for my pocket book anyway). Watch out for fakes....(I can only post so many photos so skipping this one)

Modern Slipjoint Production
Buck wanted to get in the slipjoint market but had no facilities to produce the knives. So it contracted out it's first slipjoint to Schrade Knives of New York beginning in 1966. Schrade produced what would later be considered a 301 sized stockman. It was not marked with a model number. This knife was a three bladed stockman with clip and sheepsfoot blade on same end and spey blade on the opposite. It can quickly be indentified by the deep grooved bolsters, slightly S shaped body, 3 brass rivet on the black sawcut Delrin* scale with the Clip blade only stamped with BUCK, Made In U.S.A. Also notice the relief grind on the top of the clip blade extends well over the finger nail groove. *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene_plastic
GroovedBolster.jpg

This is the first and only model made with grooved bolsters. Schrade went on to make two additional 301 sized models and two 303 sized stockmen.

In the photo below the identification is similar for both sized models and is represented by the larger 301 sized knife.
Left to right: First model with grooved bolster call this Version 1, next is the face of Version 2, Version 2 Schrades came in variation 1 which had NO marks on the reverse tangs of the secondary blades and variation 2 which had BUCK stamped on the reverse tang of the sheepsfoot and spey blades.
301SchradeGroup.jpg

The face markings of Version 2 knives were the same. But notice that there is NO grooved bolsters.

Buck carried these well fit and finished knives for over 6 years, but a weakness became apparent and began to cost Buck time and money.
The Schrade Bucks were designed with a 'hidden pivot pin'. The ends of the blade pivot pins are not visible on the surface of the bolster. They have flat, nail like heads that are fitted into key type slots in the brass liners when the knife is assembled.
Schrade-2.jpg

DSCF11222-1.jpg

With hard and heavy use both the pin and the brass liner key-hole would fail. This can readily be seen by blades that bend pass the normal horizontal when open.
IMG_1631-1.jpg

With Bucks forever warranty this led to lots of work for the repair department

In 1971 it was decided that the slipjoint contract would be move to Camillus Knife of New York and their designers used a exposed pivot pin on the bolsters which made blade repair and replacement easier. The Camillus version of the Buck slipjoint was straighter in form, had ends less rounded, gave the appearence of deep finger nic grooves and the first models had small flat scale rivets. The black sawcut scales with Bucks knife, bolt and hammer escutcheon continued.
301SchCam.jpg

A few Scharde made knives continued to be issued till the supply dried up later in 1971. As the transition to Camillus proceded additonal models were added. By the time full Camillus production was under way Buck was offering a 301,303,309 and 305 sized models.
Markings were similar and are represented by the 301s listed and pictured below.
Left to right:
1971, Scale rivets, Made in USA on tang, NO model number on tang, two versions - single brass scale liners and double brass liners on one side.

1971, Scale rivet, Made in USA on tang, MODEL number on reverse tang, one version - single brass scale liners

1971 - 1974, NO scale rivets, Made in USA on tang, MODEL number on revers tang, one version - single brass scale liner

1974 - 1985, No scale rivets, BUCK, 301,USA on front tang, nothing on reverse, two versions - single brass scale liners and two liners on one side.

Example of double brass liners under one scale on end. The use of extra scale liners is to 'fine tune' the 'crinking' or bend in the blade so they do not rub when folded into the blade well. (i.e. three blades, only two springs). As an example the last two knives on right show two odd-balls that issued during this era, Winchester contracted to have their name on escutcheon and because the 319 and 301 shared blades some mis-matches occurred. In this poor photo you can barely see 319 stamped in place of 301 on the tang. But sheepsfoot and spey blade in knife well, missing is leather punch to make it a real 319. The next knives in timeline after these begin actual Buck made models.
Quick301.jpg

Camillus produced additional models and its relationship with Buck continued even up to the closing of factory in the mid 2000s. But Buck was making decisions which would set the course for the future.

Buck builds a slipjoint production line and begins to issue there own made models late in 1985. Buck takes over the production of the most popular models of their slipjoint knives, the 301,303,309 and 305. With the remaining models continued to be made by the Camillus factory.
Buck began by marking their knives with a date code stamp following the model number on the tang. They issued their new knives with improved 425m steel. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716179
A new excutcheon plate replaced the traditional knife, bolt and hammer. The new plate simply said BUCK in capital letters. A few knives were produced in late 1985 and did not receive date code stamps, but these are rare. Between 1986 and 1988 these version of the four Buck models were heavily produced. This era was consistent and only the date code changes yearly over this period.
Represented here by photo of model 303s.
IMG_1642-1-1.jpg

In 1989 after continued outcries over the escutcheon change from the knife, bolt and hammer Buck went back to the historic symbol. The newer BUCK escutcheon was also prone to have the ink quickly rub off leaving only a shallow indention of BUCK.
IMG_1643-1-1-1.jpg

In late 1989 Buck designers were busy fine tuning the four models they produced. For the 1990 issue, blade steel was changed to 420HC, the knife,bolt and hammer settled in as the escutcheon plate of choice and the 303 was made with three stainless steel springs, one for each blade. Other changes were on the way in the near future. Here is the historical line-up of the 303, starting top left down and then top right down. 1966 - 1990.
DSCF03382.jpg

After 1989 things get complicated with issues of special scale material, blade markings and changes in materials to all stainless steel occurr. That history will be written in the future.....you forumites can at least appreciate that I now am in trouble with BCCI as this posting could have been written as a newsletter article.....and may yet be.....good luck on you IDs.
300Bucks
My 117

Very rare and expensive model which was the first attempt by Buck to have a folding knife (Mid 60's). Only a few put together and even less survive today. I will throw out a current guess of much less than fifty in the hands of folks who know what they are. That is one of the later models via it's nickel or steel blade pin. A few of the very first ones can be found with a brass pin. I never found one except from someone who knew what they had and I wouldn't spend the money. Be cautious of fakes. 300

Last edited:
That’s a nice 117 you have there farm. I look for them but never find any.

Very rare and expensive model which was the first attempt by Buck to have a folding knife (Mid 60's). Only a few put together and even less survive today. I will throw out a current guess of much less than fifty in the hands of folks who know what they are. That is one of the later models via it's nickel or steel blade pin. A few of the very first ones can be found with a brass pin. I never found one except from someone who knew what they had and I wouldn't spend the money. Be cautious of fakes. 300
So mine is not the first version????

My best guess is that one I saw with brass blade pivot was earlier, but I have never seen another brass one. So, it could just be someone's repair, it did have a correctly stamped blade. If I had found either, for say $75 , at a flea market I would have purchased it and been proud to have it.
When these were being converted in the shed blacksmith shop Al Buck would have been a young man starting out on the knife maker journey. This was the era of the long slender 110s with Buck stamped along the top of the blade. And fixed blades could be ordered with different customizations. Yours can rightly be considered a first model. If you want to dig that photo should be in Buck forum history. 300

I found photo of brass pin version. But I still can't swear who is older just guessing. 300

large.jpg

Back