300 Series History 1966 to 1990

I found photo of brass pin version. But I still can't swear who is older just guessing. 300

large.jpg
Maybe Mr Houser can guide

Farm, did you notice the difference in dates for the different models—for my set the 301, 303, and 309 are 1989 and for the 305 1988.

Yes I did . And why is that ?

I'm guessing since the 305 is probably the slowest moving of the bunch, they had 2008 blade inventory left over when they built these sets.

Those Red jigged bone set has full flat ground blades. I like the shape of the spey blade on the 301. A handsome set. DM

I'm guessing since the 305 is probably the slowest moving of the bunch, they had 2008 blade inventory left over when they built these sets.

There are some sets with both the 305 and 309 having the 1988 date code and probably for the reason given by MT_Pokt.

There are some sets with both the 305 and 309 having the 1988 date code and probably for the reason given by MT_Pokt.
This one got 301 and 303 with 1989 date codes and the other 2 have 1988 date codes.

Here is a new one for me thanks to a collector friend—303 LE; 2006; single blade; polished buffalo and mother of pearl. I think Wilde Bill Cody may have been involved in the design, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

Bert

**303 WBC? 2.jpg

Good find Bert. I all but given up on getting one for my pile and finally scored last year. I also picked up a 3 bladed version as well.

I all but given up on getting one for my pile and finally scored last year. I also picked up a 3 bladed version as well.

I have heard there is a version of this knife with the positions of the polished buffalo and mother of pearl reversed. The search never ends.

Bert

I had a 303 left behind by my father's Canadian cousin on a visit to Northern Ireland in the early 1980s, (he told me to keep it) about two years later it sank to the bottom of Lough Erne. My mother mentioned this in her Christmas letter, and a new bright and shiny 703 Colt arrived from Canada about 6 weeks later. I still have that one! I bought myself two 303s and a 301, since then the quality isn't there anymore and I shan't buy any others.

Good story. Mt_Pokt I have never handled a three blade version. Unless someone else has one, I might tend to call yours a one-of-a-kind to extreme rarity version. Good find. Those were from the good-ole days when a special small run of a 300 model from the factory would be available. Wilde Bill and Leroy still did factory work. 300

Last edited:
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post and/or ask about these. Many thanks for this thread as it has proven to be very educational. I picked up these two within a week of each other. The first is a 301 (assumption as it is unmarked). Given all the details that 300bucks states in the original post, can I assume that this is a Schrade, Version 2, variation 2 (buck stamps on spey and sheepsfoot blades?) and does this place the manufacture between 67 and 72?
WrD7SaA.jpg

whvozts.jpg

Next is this 309 with the 309 stamped on the pile side. Does this make it a Camillus, pre 86? Is there a more concrete year of manufacture? Also, what is the significance of the older 309s?
eGWhZZH.jpg

P07TiTc.jpg

Again, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm new to the Buck forum. Thanks.

Looks to me your right, all round. 309 72-74. First model 309 and 303's to some degree were 'watch pocket' knives and competed in the market against other companies same size designs. The BUCK 309 was just a little smaller than the 3 bladed 303. The very small 305's were attractive for people to carry in dress pants pockets. I call them 'Sunday-Go-to-meet-in' knife. The 309 scaled up the size and fit well in watch pockets, regular pants pockets and women's handbag's. Sadly for the Model 300 collectors they have been discontinued as a American made product.

Last edited:
Back