31 Screws Keep Backing Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear4142

Gold Member
I received a large 31 last week and love the knife. However, I've had both the pivot screw and the top body screw back out on me several times. This is after I've broken down and re-assembled twice and I've been cranking down on the screws where it's cinching to the titanium just like every other Sebenza but they still keep backing out.

Is anyone else having this problem? And this might be blasphemy, but is it time to start locktiting screws on a Sebenza?

I’ve had this problem on 3 of the 6 31’s I’ve had. I have had issues, whether be lock stick, off centering, excessive blade flex, and screws backing out on all but one. I now only own one 31, and it’s only because the Box Elder is so unique that I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. But yes, the pivot and clip side stop pin will keep backing out. Beyond that, if I tighten all the screws down, the blade is off center, so I have to back out the stop pin screw just a touch to keep the action smooth and blade centered. And yes, this is how it came to me brand new.

But for me, it’s going to be until CRK manages to produce a 31 that deserves the CRK badge with the unbeatable tolerances and perfection that made them famous in the first place and can send these knives with the pride they should to their patrons before I can support another 31. I am a long time and loyal CRK fan. But at this point I’d stick to any other knife in the lineup. But that’s just my personal experience and opinion. Others, I’m sure will have happier stories. :)

I put a dab of Loctite 222 (purple stuff) on most screws so I don't have to worry about it.

But for me, it’s going to be until CRK manages to produce a 31 that deserves the CRK badge with the unbeatable tolerances and perfection that made them famous in the first place and can send these knives with the pride they should to their patrons before I can support another 31.

Quite a firm stance there based on a sample size of 1. It sounds like something is off, have you contacted CRK? Their warranty + customer service is unmatched.

I put a dab of Loctite 222 (purple stuff) on most screws so I don't have to worry about it

Quite a firm stance there based on a sample size of 1. It sounds like something is off, have you contacted CRK? Their warranty + customer service is unmatched.

Well, I guess you can see it that way if you’d like, as I mentioned, this is only an opinion I hold from my 6, not 1, experiences. And yes, I’ve worked with their customer service on 3 of the knives. They are of course exceptionally caring when it comes to trying to communicate their concern, but unfortunately 2 of the knives came back to me with the same issues. The 3rd I just returned for a refund after my experience with the first two. And of course I paid the $20 each time to ship the knife to them, that in my opinion should have never left the factory in the first place.

Their customer service when you reach out to them is the best in the business from my experience. But to me, the customer service should start when you’re making the knife, not after. Just like Chris stated, probably the most important job is the quality assurance check before it leaves the factory. And again, in my experience, that has not been close to what I have come to expect from all the other models.

Like I said, this isn’t a bash on CRK, but at the same time, these are, in my experiences, $500-$600 knives and coming from a company that set the bar on tolerances and QA. Lock flex aside, this knife should see very few issues. Particularly since they took an infamous model and tweaked it. They had at least a couple years of development and so yeah, I guess I don’t feel like there is much to say besides the fact that it’s been a disappointment to me at this point. Again, you don’t have to agree with me or even care about what I say, I’m just sharing an experience because the original poster asked if this was something that’s been experienced by others. ;-)

I have two friends with 31's and their stop pin screws constantly back out.

One attraction to the 21 is not having to loctite or teflon tape the screws. Crank down the screws on my 21 and they stay that way. Have to say I do really dig that about them.

Any loctite included in the 31 box? Course if their is, may be cause to use it.

Are the screws different on 31s? Reason I ask is my 21 screws make this sort of pop sound when loosened but the 31s don't.

Are the screws different on 31s? Reason I ask is my 21 screws make this sort of pop sound when loosened but the 31s don't.

I believe shorter screws on the stop pin, but otherwise thought they were the same.

Thanks for the replies so far. Just wanted to see if this was somewhat normal or if I should send it in but sounds like it's not a singularity. Hopefully a little locktite will do the trick

If you're not too attached to the 31, I'd sell it off and get a 21 while you can. The rotated clip and ceramic ball lockup features on the 31, coupled with the widespread issues people have reported, have turned me off from purchasing one.

Well, I guess you can see it that way if you’d like, as I mentioned, this is only an opinion I hold from my 6, not 1, experiences. And yes, I’ve worked with their customer service on 3 of the knives.

That's incredibly unfortunate and I would be equally unhappy in a similar case. I retract my assumption.

If you're not too attached to the 31, I'd sell it off and get a 21 while you can. The rotated clip and ceramic ball lockup features on the 31, coupled with the widespread issues people have reported, have turned me off from purchasing one.

I've heard no widespread issues from actual users, but feel free to call CRK if you have or suspect an issue.

I don't have a 31, but same issue with a 21 starbenza. Used some of the purple loctite from Inkosi kit and no more issues.

I've had the issue with several 21s and with a Classic in the past. I am not sure what causes it, but I've just used the tiniest bit of low-strength reusable Vibratite VC3, which you do not need to reapply every time you disassemble as it's almost a gel form that remains reusable for years. Subsequently, it's never been much of an issue for me.

I have had the same issue on a small 31, it’s the only CRK of mine that has done this. I remember reading somewhere that the tolerances of the hardware helped keep them in place, have the specs on the hardware changed on the 31?

"widespread" ?? I have heard very little until joining this forum. Not sure I am convinced that issues are widespread

Not sure if I should even post here, but I would assume that the shouldered stop pins shoulders arent perfectly parallel. This would cause screws to back out as you open and close the knife. :(
The pivot screw on my Large Micarta 31 was backing out, as well as other issues. It’s currently on its way to CRK.
I also have a buddy who’s pivot screw backed out. :(
So disappointing.

It's a shame you're having these issues on such an anticipated knife. Maybe Chris will step in as these issues mount and can offer a fix.

He's retired, but not dead. And I'm pretty certain he still cares, As his name is on the building, after all.

Best of Luck my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back