4.1 thread

I do declare sfrigon's order was a factory second, so his number wouldn't really help get a sense for how things are moving.

JV3, was your order a starter or presale?

I posted this pic on another thread, but figured I'd post it on the 4.1 thread as well. Glad to see some of you guys will have yours in hand in the next few days. I've had mine since April 10th from what I recall and I had ordered the F2 back in October of last year. Here's my most recent trip from last weekend to Blue Lake in the Tahoe National Forest out here in California. I used it to baton and feather stick some fallen pine for our campfire that night. The edge held up very well even going through some pretty serious knots. Tip strength was great as I did test it by jamming it into a stump and twisting it. I did get the knife wet a few times and there was some moisture in the air because it had warmed up and the snow in the area has been melting. Although, it's not what I call humid conditions like some other areas around the country or world. It looked like there was some slight staining on the blade, whether it was from the pine sap or putting the knife back in the sheath partially damp. However, there was no indication of rust or any corrosion. The "staining" on the blade came off with a little mineral oil after I cleaned it when I got home. So far the 4.1 in D3V is my favorite overall blade for general outdoors use. It has performed well in the desert of Nevada, snow in the Sierras, and on perfect days in the Tahoe National Forest. At least so far on the three trips I've taken it on in the last 5-6 weeks since I received it.

what's your order # if you don't mind posting? mine is #5528 so i'm just curious where mine stands.

Yeah, Silver is right, mine is also a factory second (a late order in November) so it won't really help you, sorry. (It's #1035* for any other seconds still waiting...)

I do declare sfrigon's order was a factory second, so his number wouldn't really help get a sense for how things are moving.

JV3, was your order a starter or presale?

starter...ordered on 04/30/15.

Yeah, Silver is right, mine is also a factory second (a late order in November) so it won't really help you, sorry. (It's #1035* for any other seconds still waiting...)

thanks!

supertac, how do you feel about the 4.1 handle vs the 4.7?

I wear a large size glove but i dont have "meaty" hands and the 4.1 feels better in hand than my 4.7s. The palm swell on the 4.7 does fill my hand better, but the smaller swell on the 4.1 allows for more comfortable and various grip angles. They're both great blade designs. I really think it comes down to personal preference.

I wear a large size glove but i dont have "meaty" hands and the 4.1 feels better in hand than my 4.7s. The palm swell on the 4.7 does fill my hand better, but the smaller swell on the 4.1 allows for more comfortable and various grip angles. They're both great blade designs. I really think it comes down to personal preference.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Is there a noticeable or practical difference in handle length?

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Is there a noticeable or practical difference in handle length?

The handle length is only slightly longer on the 4.7, but with the added length, extra heft, and weight of the blade it definitely makes it better at chopping. Batoning and chopping the 4.7 will outperform the 4.1. The thinner and profile of the 4.1 makes it better at slicing, feather sticking, carving, and other smaller tasks. Both will do the job of either though. I lean towards the 4.1 because of the weight and finer tasks because I carry the saw and axe. They do the chopping and splitting versus trying to baton through 6" diameter logs. I generally use my knives to break them down further to kindling and tinder. There are occasions when I'm pounding the snot out of the 4.1 trying to get through a knot, when I wish I brought my 4.7, 5.1, or a larger blade. Just that little extra blade length and thicker blade would have been nice..lol

Ok so it was #10367 and it's finally home !!! The blade shape is a bit on the spear side , the ergos are a touch less pronounced than the 4.7 . This thing is incredible, it seems more versatile than any other knife I own ,just an all around bada** knife ! So yeah it's here and I love it

Ok so it was #10367 and it's finally home !!! The blade shape is a bit on the spear side , the ergos are a touch less pronounced than the 4.7 . This thing is incredible, it seems more versatile than any other knife I own ,just an all around bada** knife ! So yeah it's here and I love it

That's great news. Hope it was worth the frustration. The 4.1s are still pretty rare in the real world from what I've seen and heard so enjoy it!

What was your order date?

Just hit 95 days on my 4.1 2nd, order# 108XX. I hope the Seiferds are alright, may give them a call today.

Guy's Instagram posts indicate that he is working in larger batches these days to minimize the set up time for each operation.
That makes sense, but it will result in less frequent but larger shipments to the customers.
For what the information is worth I jumped on the 2nd 4.1 3V when it was first released and it took about five months for them to ship the knife. That was a couple of months ago. They've been selling 2nd 4.1 3V a lot since then so when they start shipping there will be a lot of them hitting the streets. :)

Thanks, Fancier :thumbsup: I just rechecked the May 24th Instagram post on these, and Guy mentioned that they have been missing the 90-day mark a bit, so I will hold off calling them for now, don't need to add a distraction. I'm patient :)

Mine took like more than double that

I promise to rub it in your (virtual) face if it gets here before June ends :p

(please read the above as a friendly joke intended by the author, who, it should be noted, is quite envious of the fact that the target of his comment ALREADY HAS his own version of the knife in question, which the author does not)

I promise to rub it in your (virtual) face if it gets here before June ends :p

(please read the above as a friendly joke intended by the author, who, it should be noted, is quite envious of the fact that the target of his comment ALREADY HAS his own version of the knife in question, which the author does not)
That's hilarious, I love the small print quotations

Back