4.1 thread

Yep, all of the 4.1 (and 7/7) hardware is in the Survive shop (and has been for a long time) but I don't expect to get either of those knives for a while yet.
I've mentioned this before, but the original production order was set by the popularity of each model in the Starter campaign.
So the 5.1 was most popular, followed by the 4.7, and then the 4.1, but since they kept the 4.1 preorders open for months after they closed the Starter campaign it accumulated a lot of orders, and then there were presales after that. Following that logic the 4.1 didn't have the most Starter orders, and if they haven't completed filling those Starter orders yet they may still be filling 4.1 orders for quite a while.
Ellie has stated that the 4.1 model run (in total) was by far the largest of them so it looks like they have many more to go.

Received my factory 2nd today. Ordered March 15th, 2017. I wasn't happy with how long 90 days took and I almost cancelled. Then I thought I'd wait for it then sell it for a profit.

Now that's it's here I might decide to keep it. My quick initial impression is that is a great piece. My only issue may be the handles are a little thin.

Luke, how do you feel about the 4.7 handles?
They are my favorite because they fill the hand a bit better! :)

Who has some new spec 4.1 scales in black/red g10 or jade g10 they would be willing to trade for black or camo canvas? PM me

Picked up a 4.1 (factory second) on the secondary market in red linen micarta and 20cv. Came pretty dull, but sharpened up easily enough. Brought it down to 38 degrees from what felt like 50. Hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend and work it some.

39444615322_8669278e05_c.jpg

Picture from the sale thread.

Picked up a 4.1 (factory second) on the secondary market in red linen micarta and 20cv. Came pretty dull, but sharpened up easily enough. Brought it down to 38 degrees from what felt like 50. Hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend and work it some.

39444615322_8669278e05_c.jpg

Picture from the sale thread.

Love the red linen. Let me now if you'd rather have black canvas.

The First Friday says that "the end is in sight" for the 4.1 run, but I need a morale booster. :D
Has anybody received a shipping notice lately for a GSO 4.1? <Fingers Crossed>

The First Friday says that "the end is in sight" for the 4.1 run, but I need a morale booster. :D
Has anybody received a shipping notice lately for a GSO 4.1? <Fingers Crossed>
Nope. 3 years, 1 month and 2 weeks and counting...

I guess that is why he was Bob Loveless and the rest of us aren't. ;)
Kidding aside, the Survive wait really is horrendous and we all hate it.

I got my new D3V 4.1 a few months ago and I love the feel of the knife. The handle and microtextured micarta scales are excellent. It fits my large/xl hand very well and is very comfortable to use. After long use, like all of my other GSOs, I don't have any hot spots. The new 4.1 is also very well balanced and feels good in all of the different ways you can grip the knife. The factory edge works for me, the steel is also excellent and it holds an edge as advertised. I don't know how easy or hard to sharpen it yet but it does seem to take a touch up on a strop well. It's also a great looking knife and, as always, I love the sheath.

As a stand alone knife or part of a kit the new 4.1 is excellent. It would be a great choice for someone's first S!K or as a companion to one of the larger or smaller S!Ks. For people who like larger EDCs this could be a perfect knife, maybe even better than the 4.7?!? To be frank I think it's an excellent substitute for the INFIrat and SR101 Rat if you don't need or like a choil and a less expensive and natural competitor to the Busse SoB. Nothing against Busse both of these are excellent knives in excellent steel. I also have a bunch of them too! When I get some time I'll test it against the LT Wright GNS, INFIRat, SoB, Viper Golia, Blackheart Gunner 10 and the 4.7.

My only issue with the new 4.1 is that it's a little too close to the 4.7. It's a "tweener" knife for me. The new 4.1 has more weight and thus has more power than the old one but if I want more power I'd go up a size or two the the 4.7 or 5.1. The new 4.1 feels more like a midsize knife in the "if I had 1 knife" category. Whereas the old 4.1 feels more like a smaller backup knife and more of an EDC and day hike knife. In this midsize category my hands down go to is my 5.1 with the 4.7 being a close second.

My initial conclusion is that, unfortunately, this knife is a bit of a disappointment. The new 4.1 will not be my go to EDC. I have a last run original 4.1 in 3v with microtextured linen micarta scales that works very well and will remain my primary EDC and smaller task knife. I state this with bias, I've been using the old 4.1 for years. I got my first one in person from Guy at his old shop in Gburg PA shortly after the first 4.1 started shipping. The old 4.1 is one of my favorite all time knives and I have hundreds of hours on them. This with the fact that I have a TON of S!Ks & I feel like the new 4.1 is more of a 4.1.5 or a 4.6.5 meaning it's bigger and heavier than the old 4.1 but a little smaller and lighter than the 4.7. My first grab instincts would be the old 4.1 for smaller and 5.1 for med and 7/7 for larger for the field. For carving at the house would be a 4.7 or a 5.1 for med (depending on what I am working on) and the old 4.1 for smaller work. My 3.5 and Necker II for work around the house and on the boat. My 5.1, 7/7 and or 10 for chopping, again depending on the job and my old 4.1 for day hikes and EDC as described above. Lastly the new 4.1 is much like my beloved but underutilized 5.0, too big for small work too small for big work because I have other S!Ks that are better suited for either kind of job. This makes the new 4.1 (and my 5.0) as the odd man out leaving me with a 1st world problem and a pity party starring music from the world's smallest violin.

Last edited:
I got my new D3V 4.1 a few months ago and I love the feel of the knife. The handle and microtextured micarta scales are excellent. It fits my large/xl hand very well and is very comfortable to use. After long use, like all of my other GSOs, I don't have any hot spots. The new 4.1 is also very well balanced and feels good in all of the different ways you can grip the knife. The factory edge works for me, the steel is also excellent and it holds an edge as advertised. I don't know how easy or hard to sharpen it yet but it does seem to take a touch up on a strop well. It's also a great looking knife and, as always, I love the sheath.

As a stand alone knife or part of a kit the new 4.1 is excellent. It would be a great choice for someone's first S!K or as a companion to one of the larger or smaller S!Ks. For people who like larger EDCs this could be a perfect knife, maybe even better than the 4.7?!? To be frank I think it's an excellent substitute for the INFIrat and SR101 Rat if you don't need or like a choil and a less expensive and natural competitor to the Busse SoB. Nothing against Busse both of these are excellent knives in excellent steel. I also have a bunch of them too! When I get some time I'll test it against the LT Wright GNS, INFIRat, SoB, Viper Golia, Blackheart Gunner 10 and the 4.7.

My only issue with the new 4.1 is that it's a little too close to the 4.7. It's a "tweener" knife for me. The new 4.1 has more weight and thus has more power than the old one but if I want more power I'd go up a size or two the the 4.7 or 5.1. The new 4.1 feels more like a midsize knife in the "if I had 1 knife" category. Whereas the old 4.1 feels more like a smaller backup knife and more of an EDC and day hike knife. In this midsize category my hands down go to is my 5.1 with the 4.7 being a close second.

My initial conclusion is that, unfortunately, this knife is a bit of a disappointment. The new 4.1 will not be my go to EDC. I have a last run original 4.1 in 3v with microtextured linen micarta scales that works very well and will remain my primary EDC and smaller task knife. I state this with bias, I've been using the old 4.1 for years. I got my first one in person from Guy at his old shop in Gburg PA shortly after the first 4.1 started shipping. The old 4.1 is one of my favorite all time knives and I have hundreds of hours on them. This with the fact that I have a TON of S!Ks & I feel like the new 4.1 is more of a 4.1.5 or a 4.6.5 meaning it's bigger and heavier than the old 4.1 but a little smaller and lighter than the 4.7. My first grab instincts would be the old 4.1 for smaller and 5.1 for med and 7/7 for larger for the field. For carving at the house would be a 4.7 or a 5.1 for med (depending on what I am working on) and the old 4.1 for smaller work. My 3.5 and Necker II for work around the house and on the boat. My 5.1, 7/7 and or 10 for chopping, again depending on the job and my old 4.1 for day hikes and EDC as described above. Lastly the new 4.1 is much like my beloved but underutilized 5.0, too big for small work too small for big work because I have other S!Ks that are better suited for either kind of job. This makes the new 4.1 (and my 5.0) as the odd man out leaving me with a 1st world problem and a pity party starring music from the world's smallest violin.

At first reading, it seemed as if you were contradicting yourself.
But it makes sense. The new 4.1 is probably more like a “one-knife solution” - and a pretty good one IMO.
The role of the old 4.1 has now been assumed by the new 3.5 as a great combo with a larger blade such as the 6 or bigger.

At first reading, it seemed as if you were contradicting yourself.
But it makes sense. The new 4.1 is probably more like a “one-knife solution” - and a pretty good one IMO.
The role of the old 4.1 has now been assumed by the new 3.5 as a great combo with a larger blade such as the 6 or bigger.

Yes the new 4.1 is more of a "one knife solution", and I agree with you it's a good one!

RE: the 3.5, sorry for the confusion. The new 3.5, which I have as well, is not replacing my old 4.1 as my EDC. The new 3.5 is a nice little fixed blade but I only use it and my N-II around the house and on my boat for opening boxes and cutting fishing line, rope and other materials. To me EDC knife means a belt knife that I would use when I am working outside, when I am hiking, light camping, hunting and fishing (mostly for cutting up bait). I still feel the old 4.1 is an excellent companion blade to my 5.1 and or 7/7. The old 4.1 can handle about 2/3rds of the carving and whittling that I do at home and a large percentage of the wood work, except batoning, that I do when I am camping. The 3.5 can't because I work on very hard, seasoned or kilned dried hand rail wood or dowels at home and I prefer bigger blades when I am in the field. I hope that makes more sense to you.

Yes the new 4.1 is more of a "one knife solution", and I agree with you it's a good one!

RE: the 3.5, sorry for the confusion. The new 3.5, which I have as well, is not replacing my old 4.1 as my EDC. The new 3.5 is a nice little fixed blade but I only use it and my N-II around the house and on my boat for opening boxes and cutting fishing line, rope and other materials. To me EDC knife means a belt knife that I would use when I am working outside, when I am hiking, light camping, hunting and fishing (mostly for cutting up bait). I still feel the old 4.1 is an excellent companion blade to my 5.1 and or 7/7. The old 4.1 can handle about 2/3rds of the carving and whittling that I do at home and a large percentage of the wood work, except batoning, that I do when I am camping. The 3.5 can't because I work on very hard, seasoned or kilned dried hand rail wood or dowels at home and I prefer bigger blades when I am in the field. I hope that makes more sense to you.
I don’t believe S!K has shipped any of the latest 3.5s yet.
That model has also grown and appears to be very close in size to the original 4 (but with a full, non-skeletonized tang).
Otherwise, I hear you on your preferences re size/uses.

Back