4 Max Scout

The Scout was my EDC for today:

UjGfrxuh.jpg

I agree 100%:

KrbqgRCh.jpg

q4cWsKNh.jpg
Do you do all your lanyard/fobs yourself? I just received an order of pre-made ones because I've never learned to tie paracord, but man do yours look so nice... I also realized I'm not liking the threading through of pre-tied 550 lanyards making that big knot on the end of the knife... I think your post just inspired me to buy my own paracord and learn...

Nah.. The AD10 is not suited for adult sized hands..

Got a 4Max Scout on the way :D, but it's taking forever. Been sitting in Louisiana for almost two weeks now... Anyway, I'm thinking it will replace my AD-10 (which I love) but had to send back to retailer for blade centering issues. I haven't ordered a replacement because I'm waiting for the 4Max Scout to see if it will fit that "big fat knife" niche in my collection. I guess I have child-sized hands because the AD-10 handles fit my hand perfectly. Hopefully the 4Max Scout will be everything I'm expecting it to be and I won't need to go broke getting an AD-10 anyway (though I really do like that knife:().

Do you do all your lanyard/fobs yourself? I just received an order of pre-made ones because I've never learned to tie paracord, but man do yours look so nice... I also realized I'm not liking the threading through of pre-tied 550 lanyards making that big knot on the end of the knife... I think your post just inspired me to buy my own paracord and learn...

Yes. I tie all my own lanyards. One of the easiest knots to learn is the "snake knot", it can be mastered in under 15 minutes. Also, allows the paracord to be untied, if you need-it in an emergency situation. I wouldn't be an old navyman, if I didn't. :cool: Paracord Planet has a large-selection of cord to choose from at reasonable prices.

I actually just ordered some from Paracord Planet last night lol. Thanks for the tips! I like that knot and I wasn't aware of the easy to untie feature. Will definitely be trying that first.

I actually just ordered some from Paracord Planet last night lol. Thanks for the tips! I like that knot and I wasn't aware of the easy to untie feature. Will definitely be trying that first.

Excellent, post-up some pics of your creations. The more you do-it, the easier it becomes. I usually put nine or ten coils; in the bigger blades, but YMMV. Plus, it personalizes your folder to your taste. Additionally, its another fun-thing to do in conjunction with knife-collecting. Cheers!

4A2XsRdh.jpg

I do better with my snake knots when I use fids. Pick up a cheap pair of those, too. :)
Oh man...the spending never ends... Will I end up throwing my knife across the room without them?? I'm naturally impatient but I am a tinkerer...

BTW, speaking of the 4Max Scout for SD/Tactical use as someone mentioned in an earlier post... I haven't seen any pics of anyone putting the Snaggletooth mod on one yet... I wonder how/if it would work...

Oh man...the spending never ends... Will I end up throwing my knife across the room without them?? I'm naturally impatient but I am a tinkerer...

BTW, speaking of the 4Max Scout for SD/Tactical use as someone mentioned in an earlier post... I haven't seen any pics of anyone putting the Snaggletooth mod on one yet... I wonder how/if it would work...

There was a forum member who put a "snaggletooth" on an AD-10, and I'm sure it would work equally well on a 4 Max, or Scout too.

Excellent, post-up some pics of your creations. The more you do-it, the easier it becomes. I usually put nine or ten coils; in the bigger blades, but YMMV. Plus, it personalizes your folder to your taste. Additionally, its another fun-thing to do in conjunction with knife-collecting. Cheers!

4A2XsRdh.jpg
Are you a professional photographer??? All your pics are like a flex man lol. Hey, is there some trick to getting the ends black when you burn/melt them? I always cringe at the light-brown, orangey blob (ok, I don't know what color it is). I wear a paracord lanyard for my work badge and I color in those ends with a black Sharpie about every week (because it doesn't last obviously).

The only way I know to blacken the ends is to burn them for longer. If I'm leaving them loose I carefully set them on fire and let them burn until they're brown/black.

If I'm making them snug with the end of the knot, I don't worry about their color. Just melt and roll them with the barrel of a hobby knife to snug them into place. Not an expert paracord weaver, though!

It finally came! Man this thing is big lol. So, I remember members comparing the action to the AD-10. I was hoping that it would replace the AD-10 for me since I had to send mine back. It definitely does replace it in the "huge stocky fat blade" sense. And I will admit, the action really is nice for such a big knife. But, it ain't no AD-10. Not regretting my purchase or anything. I did get it at the cheapest price I think you can find it right now. It's pretty awesome. OH, one con (or flaw?): mine came with a blunt tip. I'm not sure if this is how CS grinds them or if mine just came like that. AD-10 is the same blade stock (I think) but it had a sharp tip. Here's a few pics:
fFnCSaB.jpg

yXRMWku.jpg

And, my first use with it was attempting to just cut open the plastic wrapper of a paper towel roll. Obviously not a knife meant for precision work :D:
IBwVXZO.jpg

Oh and this is an unrelated post, but I have been working on my snake knot. Here's a couple examples, I did two others before this but I twisted the cord and didn't realize until I was done so re-did them:
708r929.jpg

BTW, why are my pics so huge? Is it just on my screen? They seem bigger than other members. I'm just dropping them from Imgur...

Great score! I'm sure the tip is a very minor, factory mis-grind. A slight touch-up with a ceramic-stone will clean-it-up. The Scout is definitely not an AD-10 in anybody's world, or lexicon. If anybody; ever got-passed your Hellcat, the Scout will serve as an excellent CQB augment. Can you say: diced zombie? Now time for a lanyard for this biggun! Plus, pics of your final creation. ;) I took the liberty of ordering a Spartan today, for the princely sum of: $60.00 dollars.

Oh and this is an unrelated post, but I have been working on my snake knot. Here's a couple examples, I did two others before this but I twisted the cord and didn't realize until I was done so re-did them:

BTW, why are my pics so huge? Is it just on my screen? They seem bigger than other members. I'm just dropping them from Imgur...

Looks like your on your way to mastering the 'snake knot'. They look good to me! Plus you burnished the paracord ends perfectly. Regarding Imgur:
on the image you want to post; look-at the right-hand bottom of the total image box. You'll see: sizes. I always select "Huge Thumbnail" for all posts, as it doesn't overpower that much. When you first upload an image to Imgur it automatically; formats them in "Original" size. Once you select the size you want for a group of new uploads, they should all automatically be corrected to your choice. Hope this helps you out friend!

Back