420HC does hold an edge

I have had a lot of success using my ceramic sharpener on S30v, D2, 154CM, and AUS8 steels. As far as the Vanguard goes it is a different story. I do clean the rods regularly, so that is not a problem. As you said I believe 420HC is very resistant to abrasive sharpening. I will have to see if I can pick up a DMT or Lansky diamond sharpener. What angle would you recommend for a general purpose heavy bladed knife like the Vanguard. I usually thin to 22 degrees then add a compound bevel of 15 degrees. This works real well for folders and thinner fixed blades.

Thanks

Originally posted by J Rummerfield
About our 420HC, Our 420 HC is unique in the way it is exploited. Paul Bos, our heat treat expert, applies our proprietary heat treat and triple temper that definately sets our 420HC on a higher level.

The fact that it is less expensive is a bonus in my book. I want field knives that are sturdy and reliable, that a LCPL with two kids can still afford to buy.

420HC (with Paul Bos heat treat) toughness example.

Just for clarity, Paul Bos (that includes Bos and his staff) does not actually do the heat treating, right? Bos just collaborates with you guys at Buck to make sure the heat treating process is as good as it can be, correct?

I know Bos (or his staff) does Buck's higher end stuff, like the Buck/Striders and the Buck/Mayo, but what about the BG-42 110 blades? Does Bos do those?

Back