.45 cal pirate pistol/folder

Here is one I've been working on. The barrel is from a .45 caliber muzzleloading rifle. I shortened it and drilled and tapped it for the breech plug. It will use a muskett nipple.
I already have 112 images so far but I think I will only show a small portion of them here. This will take a couple months to complete as I also have other projects at the same time.
The drawing is my only blueprint and it doesnt look like much now but the finished gun should look pretty nice I hope.
BTW this is the biggest bore I have made so far.

100_2111.jpg

100_2113.jpg

100_2120.jpg

100_2122.jpg

100_2123.jpg

100_2127.jpg
100_2137.jpg

100_2229.jpg

100_2231.jpg

100_2237.jpg

Here is as far as I am right now. The hammer and trigger are next. Stay tuned for next weeks episode. Thanks for looking.

100_2230.jpg

100_2242.jpg

Sweet! I love what you have done so far! Please keep us posted, and if it is any as good as any of your other pieces it should be great. Where does the knife part fit in and what are your plans for the blade?

Sweet! I love what you have done so far! Please keep us posted, and if it is any as good as any of your other pieces it should be great. Where does the knife part fit in and what are your plans for the blade?

The knife is a 6" feather pattern persian style folding blade to match the curved profile of the handle. It will have an assisted opener torsion spring and thumb stud. The knife will be mounted on the left side and the gun on the right side.

Not to knife related but Lets say I wanted to make a dueling pistol, where would one get a barrel like that made?

Hmmmm...I thought for sure the next one would have a pattern welded barrel. J/K, thanks for the walk through, you do great work.

Take care, Craig

Not to knife related but Lets say I wanted to make a dueling pistol, where would one get a barrel like that made?

Buy an old muzzle loader from Ebay or a yard sale and send the barrel to me, I'll machine it down for you...

Hey, Bruce I like the shape of that one alot , it will be nice to see what that one will look like finished

Great so far Bruce. You really seem to have a great deal of talent when it comes to these cut and shoots, and of course in everything else you make as well!

Right on Bruce,
I know when you post that it will be something incredible.
Thanks for sharing.

Its easy enough on a metal lathe. The breech plug on mine is a grade 5 bolt that is shortened and annealed. I used the lathe to bore and tap one end of the barrel for it, simply tighten it on the barrel and turn both as one piece. It is non-removable now. In case of misfire the musket nipple is removable.
Actually making the barrel is easy, mounting it is the problem. Mine has a slot milled out on the underside and has a mounting tab soldered into the slot. The frame of the pistol has a matching slot to accept bolts.

Last edited:
Actually making the barrel is easy, mounting it is the problem. Mine has a slot milled out on the underside and has a mounting tab soldered into the slot. The frame of the pistol has a matching slot to accept bolts.
Wow, I wouldn't have thought that soldering would provide enough strength to hold it in. Very sweet, bet you beat your last record of Post Views :D

Back