.45 cal pirate pistol/folder

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that soldering would provide enough strength to hold it in. Very sweet, bet you beat your last record of Post Views :D

I milled a slot on the underside of the barrel and a matching slot in the frame and used hi-temp silver solder to attach the tab into the barrel. I thought the same thing so I tested my tecnique with butt jointing two pieces of mild steel and bending them in the vice with a wrench. Both pieces bent amazing far before the joint broke. The tab and slots will take the recoil in this case and the solder is basically just to hold things together.
100_2177.jpg

100_2173.jpg

.45 cal. :eek: That'll be a handfull!!!

Love these threads,Bruce. I always learn something. :thumbup::thumbup:

If you buy one with intent to fire projectiles I would be cautious about the barrel proof marks. Lots wore made just for wall hangers.

BTW Bruce, Where is the knife? :)

One of the things that I want to do is make a cap lock rifle. Not just the stock from a kit but the whole thing. The only exception would be the barrel. I don't have the facilities or the equipment to 'proof' a barrel, so I have always intended to buy that. Lots of places have them. Google will find more than you want. I could use some help in finding the drawings for a Kentucky long rifle, or something similar. I've seen them in books that charge lots more that I want to pay. Just a schematic with measurements. Can anyone offer suggestions?
Thanks, Lynn
I have made a "firing" cannon. Check out:
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnemrich

This is very cool!!!!
I like the cannon style barrel you did.
I was also thinking about contacting you to do a barrel like that for me...gotta pay for Xmas first.

As far as brazing/soldering guns, that is how the barrels of a tradtional double gun are held together. The most black of the black arts of gunmaking is the regulation of the barrels on a traditional double gun so that the points of impact of each barrel meet at a certain distance. This is a VERy time consuming and expensive process and is arguably the reason that over-under guns became popular and also the reason that the Kodiak double rifle has two fold up rear sights. You can properly regulate a side by side double rifle and still sell it for under $5000.

Thanks guys! I just hope it shoots when I'm done.:)

I couldnt resist showing this picture. She likes this little gun.
100_2239.jpg

Last edited:
Man, you sure don't fool around.......what a project! :thumbup:

I really like the looks of that 'little canon' barrel. :cool:

I'm pretty sure this deserves an "OMFG!!!"

:eek:

+1:thumbup: This is sick! I really think I am going to have to start tooling up. I have got to get my hands into something. Maybe by the time I am Eighty I can figure out how to produce something at least half as cool.

Here is as far as I am right now. The hammer and trigger are next. Stay tuned for next weeks episode. Thanks for looking.

100_2230.jpg

100_2242.jpg

Bruce

Love to watch you building these things.
Question? with the large inline nipple how do you stop the blowback from the heavier load for the 45 cal. ( heavy hammer and spring?).

Mike

Mike, this nipple can flash back but the cap is much bigger and captures some of it, leaving less to gum up the mechanism. The hammer cups around it to also help capsulate the flash. A stronger spring is needed just to fire the cap which also helps. The Pyrodex powder burns pretty clean too but there will be a certain amount of blowback to clean up.

Back