.45 cal pirate pistol/folder

The snow went away for a few days so I had some much needed shop time.
I made some noticable progress on this thing.

100_2468.jpg

100_2472.jpg

100_2469.jpg

100_2474.jpg

100_2478.jpg

100_2481.jpg

As you can see this is an Assisted Opener. The blade is 6" long and heavy so I needed to add a spring instead of a just bent piano wire. The scale will cover it up. The left bolster is milled out for the link/spring/tab

100_2486.jpg

100_2495.jpg

100_2503.jpg

100_2506.jpg

100_2509.jpg

100_2512.jpg

Here it is right now. I have spent more time with this gun than my own family lately.

100_2518.jpg

Bruce,This is such a cool thread,I keep coming back just to look at your work!
Thanks for taking us along for the ride:thumbup:

Thanks much guys.
I have some ivory scales shaping up for it now and plan to have the entire thing engraved by Tom Ferry. My customer wants a touch of gold at the breech end of the barrel an maybe at both ends of the bolsters.
There are several loose ends to tie but its getting there finally.

Very nice.

So, would this be a case of literally bringing a knife to a gunfight?

That's incredible Bruce. :thumbup: I look forward to your projects all the time. This is about the most inspiring thing I know of, and despite my impatience waiting for the next installment it's always more than I'd hoped for. I just keep coming back. Can't wait to see this one finished, but I'm sure enjoying watching you build it. Wish I was standing there looking over your shoulder! ;)

Bruce a creation like that is family..... thanks for including us in this build.

Will, I can see Bruce taking it in at night snuggling right up next to it. You know what he's dreaming about? :D

Bruce, will you hurry up! I'd like to see it completed before I pass on.......... :D

OK, Bruce. I have to say you did a great job ripping off my idea.:eek:;):):D

I emailed Bruce a good while ago about a project I started. It was Pirates of the Caribbean meets Deadwood Derringer Cut and Shoot. I got a little way along and have let it sit until I had the time to finish it.
I will have to say that it is not, nor ever will be anything like Bruce's creations.

I started with a 45 cal. pistol kit and modified the stock. I fitted a sterling silver plate forward of the lock. It will be fully engraved. I made a silver blade liner for the opposite side ,which I inletted. There is a cover for this side ,in silver, that is still on the engraving table waiting for some extra time. The stock will be fully inlaid with silver wire.
The blade is damascus, and will have double coil springs. The release will be by pressing in on the ramrod.

It was happily in its project box until Bruce posted his latest photos. I took a couple quick shots of it to prove it exists. Who knows, maybe I'll get some time this winter?

Stacy

Attachments

• pirate pistol cutlass 001.jpg
    pirate pistol cutlass 001.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 180
  • pirate pistol cutlass 002.jpg
    pirate pistol cutlass 002.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 177
Is there going to be a forestock scale on the non-blade side?

Thanks for showing us all of this. It's fascinating to watch you work.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!

She is turning out Beautifuly Mr. B,As per normal,I wouldnt expect anything less.

Bruce

OK, Bruce. I have to say you did a great job ripping off my idea.:eek:;):):D

I emailed Bruce a good while ago about a project I started. It was Pirates of the Caribbean meets Deadwood Derringer Cut and Shoot. I got a little way along and have let it sit until I had the time to finish it.
I will have to say that it is not, nor ever will be anything like Bruce's creations.

I started with a 45 cal. pistol kit and modified the stock. I fitted a sterling silver plate forward of the lock. It will be fully engraved. I made a silver blade liner for the opposite side ,which I inletted. There is a cover for this side ,in silver, that is still on the engraving table waiting for some extra time. The stock will be fully inlaid with silver wire.
The blade is damascus, and will have double coil springs. The release will be by pressing in on the ramrod.

It was happily in its project box until Bruce posted his latest photos. I took a couple quick shots of it to prove it exists. Who knows, maybe I'll get some time this winter?

Stacy

Cool Stacy! Time comsuming isnt it? Your first one will be a good one to learn on. The next one will be even better. Show us the finished piece.

I have a kit almost like that one that I took apart to learn how the hammer/trigger/sear all work together and then made my own. There are only a few basic things to get right and you have a simple gun thats fun to shoot. Spend enough time/money on it and it looks good too.

Actually rifling something is time consuming but, not overly technical. My father made several muzzle loader barrels. His method used an old piece of pipe with a piece of 1/4" x 1/2" flat bar screwed to the pipe. The flat bar spiraled down the pipe to match the rifling he wanted. The pipe and barrel were set up on a long wooden bench that held the barrel and also had several mounts to guide the pipe. The main guide had a slot for the spiraled flat bar. One end of the pipe had a bearing mounded handle to pull on. So as you pulled on the pipe it turned. The other end of the pipe had a metal rod that went thru the drilled barrel blank. On the end of the rod was a piece of steel that fit the smooth bore. It had a slot in it that held a cutter. So when you pulled the pipe and it in turned pulled and turned the cutter. After each pass he added a piece of thick paper under the cutter to raise it up. He made enough passes and added enough paper to get his depth. He then turned the barrel, which had a 4 or 6 position index wheel attached (an old pulley with holes he drilled in it) 180 degrees and cut another groove. After it was all done he would drive a soft lead slug thru the barrel and then put valve grinding powder on the slug and work it thru the barrel repeatedly to lap or polish the lands and grooves. He said that is how many older rifles where made. Another guy in the muzzle loading club we shot with had a set up to make progressive pitched rifling.

Actually rifling something is time consuming but, not overly technical. My father made several muzzle loader barrels. His method used an old piece of pipe with a piece of 1/4" x 1/2" flat bar screwed to the pipe. The flat bar spiraled down the pipe to match the rifling he wanted. The pipe and barrel were set up on a long wooden bench that held the barrel and also had several mounts to guide the pipe. The main guide had a slot for the spiraled flat bar. One end of the pipe had a bearing mounded handle to pull on. So as you pulled on the pipe it turned. The other end of the pipe had a metal rod that went thru the drilled barrel blank. On the end of the rod was a piece of steel that fit the smooth bore. It had a slot in it that held a cutter. So when you pulled the pipe and it in turned pulled and turned the cutter. After each pass he added a piece of thick paper under the cutter to raise it up. He made enough passes and added enough paper to get his depth. He then turned the barrel, which had a 4 or 6 position index wheel attached (an old pulley with holes he drilled in it) 180 degrees and cut another groove. After it was all done he would drive a soft lead slug thru the barrel and then put valve grinding powder on the slug and work it thru the barrel repeatedly to lap or polish the lands and grooves. He said that is how many older rifles where made. Another guy in the muzzle loading club we shot with had a set up to make progressive pitched rifling.

Thats how "real men" make barrels. I'm a wuss, I buy cut offs that already have the rifling in them. Some day I would like to make a small rifling setup so I can say I did it. Thanks Jim for the neat story.

Back