.45 cal pirate pistol/folder

Hi Ryan,
The only thing store bought is the muskett nipple. I buy these so the customer can replace them when/if they get damaged from dry firing. He can also buy standard caps off the shelf. I try to use standard size caliburs also so he can buy lead balls, patches and black powder (Pyrodex P). I dont make the 2-56 screws but need to turn the heads smaller and cut to length.

If David cuts the frame for me it will be the first one. Its an experiment at this stage.

I don't see this kind of a creation being fired very often. I'd love to see my hunting buddies faces when I show up at deer camp with one of these and say, "Look what I'm going to shoot and dress out my deer with!"

I don't see this kind of a creation being fired very often. I'd love to see my hunting buddies faces when I show up at deer camp with one of these and say, "Look what I'm going to shoot and dress out my deer with!"

That 45 caliber should knock down a deer if you can hit one. Notice there are no sights? I hit a pop can at 10 feet but it took 3 shots.:D

That 45 caliber should knock down a deer if you can hit one. Notice there are no sights? I hit a pop can at 10 feet but it took 3 shots.:D

Who mentioned shooting the deer to bring it down? I didn't. Get close enough and just knife it, then with one well aimed close up shot after it was dead, you could shoot the guts right out of it! :p

Bruce, like your last couple cut & shoot WIP threads, I've mined all of your pics and put them together in a folder in my Gallery directory. It's fun to open them all and flip through the sequence; it's almost like a movie, your pictures are so thorough. This is where inspiring those with the bug comes in - I'm sure getting the bug -- and the inspiration! -- so I just need some good ideas and the tools to carry them out. You mentioned using a barrel off of a production gun, which is a great idea. Next gun show I'll start looking around to see what I can find. If I start collecting parts, one of these days the inspiration hopefully will actualize into a sketch and some little production. Who knows? It's something to dream about. I went out and bought a 1/4 hp HF flexshaft so I could begin to try to carve handles like you do. :) But it's a cheapie and doesn't seem to have variable speed. With any luck I'll get to try it out on another project this weekend. The only point being, I dig making stuff and you're one of my principle inspirations. Maybe one day I'll figure out my own niche and get to be as proficient in it as you are in everything you do. That's my goal anyway. If it weren't for men like you and Raymond Richard and the rest of you fantastic knife makers on BF showing me the way, my little work today would be a shadow of what it is; i can only hope the future brings more skill and satisfaction. I can't thank you enough.

Bruce, That piece is beautiful! I sure would loved to have handled that one. It must feel good to know that the product of your labors will survive for centuries, and be cherished.
Boy, Tom's artistic talents just keep piling up!
You don't need my endorsement. But. A job well done!!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup::thumbup:
Alden

Great pics too, Bruce. Are those yours?

Dan

Back