.45 cal pirate pistol/folder

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. B You have come a long way from that first cut and shoot that we all thought was so fantastic,this one is just outta site...Cant wait to see what the next one looks like.

Bruce

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I have to ask: what does a piece like that sell for? I'm sure it's way out of my league, just curious.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I have to ask: what does a piece like that sell for? I'm sure it's way out of my league, just curious.

Its a bundle of money. Some of it goes out for the engraving and walnut box. The steel costs is minimal though. The frame is simply 1018. The barrel is from the cut-off of a new muzzle-loading rifle. The hammer and trigger is precision ground 0-1. The handle scales are pre-ban ivory valued at about $200 and $100 to have them checkered. I have about $2000 invested. Email me if you really want to know. I feel funny quoting a price in public because I just wanted to do a tutorial.

Last edited:
Mr. Bump, you are the man. Anyone who can make something that beautiful deserves a lot of respect. You have mine.

Thank you so much for all the work and pictures.

Seeing it together is amazing, so many details, so much thought and workmanship . . .

I'm sure a person could spend hours and hours going over it just looking at details.

Ballpark maybe Bruce?

Pad

OK, under $9,000
I got lucky with the engraving too. Tom could easily charge more for his work. I have seen many engraved rifles and shotguns at the Engravers Show in Reno that cost well over $20,000. The sky is the limit on embellishments.

My guns are going up each year it seems but so is the cost of living. That Burger King cook position sometimes looks tempting. Its "feast of famine" making these.

Tremendous! I can't say enough. WOW!

That said, I am going to start washing windshields and selling newspapers at major intersections. By doing this, I can afford a lobotomy that will stop me from standing in front of a grinder and wondering if it has all truely been done.

I am off to rub garbage in my hair and set random fires. No worries I am perfectly sane...I ....think....Santa? Is that you Santa?

All kidding aside, Bruce, you are truly a craftsman. Beyond compare says me.

Bruce, you're one hell of a talented craftsman/artist. The work is impeccable.
Is that pattern on the blade a "feather pattern"?
Thanks for showing the build of another one of your incredible pieces.

Bruce I cannot thank you enough for the inspiration and guidance you share. Work like this museum piece is wonderful simply to see, but getting to watch its creation is valuable beyond any price. I hope I get to shake your hand again some day. Without blubbering.

You guys are very kind and family. I feel close enough to ya to show how I do things because I know you suffer from the same knifemaking desease as me.

Several years ago I took a self inventory of what I really wanted to do and decided that I couldnt make a Loveless better than Bob or a Moran better than Bill or a Bowie better than Hancock, a better Fowler, you get the picture. So I went my own way. Thats what the early makers did. There wasnt communication like the internet so individual makers of old couldnt copy each other. They simply made what they thought would work. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt but because of the desease they kept at it until they developed their own designs and styles.

I wanted to communicate encouragement to the newbies that have the bug. There isnt a cure for it so you may as well develop a pattern, style or even something like a small gun/knife you can call your own. There are many lifetimes of projects just for the taking inspired from Antique gun books and Arms and Armor illustrated books. I have a wonderful library of antique weapon books from ebay. Books are cheap. I get ideas from one book and a mechanism idea from another. I draw pictures with a pencil and wear out erasers until they look right to me. Some are computer literate and could draw them on AutoCad programs. I cant but neither did the old makers before electricity.

I am however working with Dave at Greatlakes waterjet to cut out a couple frames from 3/4" thick steel. My bandsaw will thank me. Its the next project and if it works out he may be getting some other designs to cut out.

I dont have expensive tools but each machine I do have is bought and paid for with knife sales. It took me 20 years to accumulate and build my working shop.

Sorry I'm just rambling now.

bruce-u just said that were u were gonna have some frames cut out by waterjet.....could u give those that don't know(aka-me) a rundown of what percentage of your cut and shoots are like machined milled parts.....and what is "bought at the gun store" parts.....please don't take offense ....i am not saying they are not handmade....i was just wondering how many of the little gun pieces and inner workings u actually make yourself....and if any are "off the shelf".....thanks fo rany insight......and thank you for sharing so much in your tutorial...ryan

bruce-u just said that were u were gonna have some frames cut out by waterjet.....could u give those that don't know(aka-me) a rundown of what percentage of your cut and shoots are like machined milled parts.....and what is "bought at the gun store" parts.....please don't take offense ....i am not saying they are not handmade....i was just wondering how many of the little gun pieces and inner workings u actually make yourself....and if any are "off the shelf".....thanks fo rany insight......and thank you for sharing so much in your tutorial...ryan

Hi Ryan,
The only thing store bought is the muskett nipple. I buy these so the customer can replace them when/if they get damaged from dry firing. He can also buy standard caps off the shelf. I try to use standard size caliburs also so he can buy lead balls, patches and black powder (Pyrodex P). I dont make the 2-56 screws but need to turn the heads smaller and cut to length.

If David cuts the frame for me it will be the first one. Its an experiment at this stage.

Last edited:
OH MAN THIS IS JUST INCREDIBLE (understatement). I love the WIP tutorials of yours Bruce. They are inspirational and really show what can be done with some talent. Great job once again... Next one you need to do some more test firing vids. That would be great.

You said in post #254 "I wanted to communicate encouragement to the newbies that have the bug..." That's like showing the Wright brothers a Space Shuttle!!!

FWIW, my estimate was spot on even if not specific: "More than I can afford but much less than its worth". :D

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

I just love following these threads Bruce. What you do is truly amazing art and workmanship.

Back