.45 cal pirate pistol/folder

this is the most incredible work. im in complete awe. your work inspires me and i now have a new reminder of what i hope to be able to do some day. now i need more tools... ha. thank you for sharing!

Well I quit. good game sir, you won.

Munky, I'm sorry. I live and breathe this stuff. I'm no good at any other game except this one. It took me 20 years to fight my way to this level such as it is. I cant just whip these out either. It takes weeks and months on some of them and I'm afraid to really see how much I get per hour but I do know this: I would rather do this than anything else. My hope is to make it pay off some day. I dont have enough retirement income so I'm going to make these till I die. I hope my health holds out till then.

That's incredible. It's always so inspiring to see what other people can do, but also so discouraging that they can do it SO much better than me (in a good way, of course)!

Any chance we could get a picture of it with the blade extended too?

That's incredible. It's always so inspiring to see what other people can do, but also so discouraging that they can do it SO much better than me (in a good way, of course)!

Any chance we could get a picture of it with the blade extended too?

Hi Destraal,
I still look at others work and realize they are so far above me in skills. Its just a ladder we climb and if we stay on and go up we can reach the top.

I wanted to show how I do things in my shop but I still get help from others where ever needed. This tutorial is not complete at all but if you look close at the parts and pieces you will see I dont have any high priced tools really. I dont see why makers just make knives with their tools. The knifemaker has the basic knowlegde to make so much more.

Yes I can post a pic of the blade opened soon. Thanks for asking.

A fine piece of design and workmanship.

if you look close at the parts and pieces you will see I dont have any high priced tools really. I dont see why makers just make knives with their tools. The knifemaker has the basic knowlegde to make so much more.

You have a good point. We all probably need to think about that.

Bruce, that is a stunning piece of craftsmanship. Can you explain the French Grey finish and how it was done as that has brought the fine engraving to life.

Mick.

bruce....what does the bp mean that's stamped next to 45 cal?....ryan

truly exceptional work-everytime u do one of these i wonder how it's gonna be different from the last .....it always amazes me to see the differences between the overall design, handle materials, different effects like the greying , checkering etc......you really do have a gift with them.....thanks for sahring.....ryan

Bruce.. all I can say is Damn that's better than awesome.

Ryan, it's .45 cal black powder, that's what the "bp" stands for.

Bruce, I look forward to every post you put on this incredible thread. OUTSTANDING work. It is valuable beyond words to see your progression from start to finish. So many times when you see a finished work of art it's hard to imagine how it got that way. You have managed to take us all on an incredible journey while making this amazing piece. Words of thanks are not enough to express what I am trying to say, but THANKS!

Eric

Bruce, I look forward to every post you put on this incredible thread. OUTSTANDING work. It is valuable beyond words to see your progression from start to finish. So many times when you see a finished work of art it's hard to imagine how it got that way. You have managed to take us all on an incredible journey while making this amazing piece. Words of thanks are not enough to express what I am trying to say, but THANKS!

Eric

Thanks so much Eric. What a great compliment.

Bruce, that is a stunning piece of craftsmanship. Can you explain the French Grey finish and how it was done as that has brought the fine engraving to life.

Mick.

Hi Mick,
I experimented with "Oxpho Blue" from Brownells and found that if I dilute it with water about 200/1 it will still blue but not instantly and not so aggressively. I sanded the parts with 3M ultra fine sponge pad and cleaned and degreased with spray brake cleaner and submerged the parts into the diluted blueing. When the part turns black I remove and sand it off with the sanding sponge and dip it back in. I did this 3 times and soaked in baking soda/water and sprayed with oil.
I like the results and if there are any missed sanding marks they become visible and can easily be touched up and redipped.
I think I will make up a batch of my solution and store it for next time.

Last edited:
Thankyou gentlemen for each and every compliment.

I am almost finished with this gun now. I'll try to post a shot or two very soon.

Back