4max updates

Cold Steel Knives

A note from Lynn about the ongoing 4MAX project:

​The re-introduction of our "Custom Classics" series is no easy task - and it's a challenge that I take very seriously!
The 4-MAX represents a new level of quality, fit and finish that surpasses even my exceptionally high standards - and it also heralds the first Tri-Ad equipped mega-folder that is 100% made in the USA.

As the 4-MAX project progressed throughout 2014, 2015 and into 2016 we made several aesthetic adjustments to distinguish this knife from the Demko custom model that inspired it - including subtle changes in blade shape and finish.
Taking feedback from trusted fans and loyal customers, we have made several changes over the last 12 months, and the image below show the very latest (and final) production model without it's blade etching.

​Over the last few years we have made steps toward using more and more American materials, including a vast increase in the use of USA steel, and I am proud that the 4-MAX project will become Cold Steel's flagship 100% made-in-the-USA folder. ​
I am happy that I am able to finally begin making knives entirely in the USA again, but it has not been without it's challenges, expenses or difficulties. It is a labor of love, and though it is a difficult and costly knife to manufacture, the 4MAX has surpassed even my expectations for excellence!
In our continuing tests, the 4MAX has already proven to set new standards for strength and durability, and we believe it is our strongest knife to date.

We will be updating our website and social media platforms with more information regarding the release date of this impressive knife very soon!
Thank you for your continued patience - and I assure you, it's worth the wait!

Lynn C Thompson
President
Cold Steel, Inc.

SQUARE_SM.jpg

This will hopefully answer a lot of questions about the project, and as you can see, the blade shape on the final design is a lot more like Andrews classic modified spear point.
Thanks!

That looks absolutely perfect. I am more excited for this than any production knife in a long time. Can't wait for this to be available!

I was briefly unsure of whether I needed this, but seeing the final pic put me over the edge and I put in my preorder. Thanks for the update and keep up the good work Cold Steel! I think a lot of people are going to be thrilled with this and I am glad Lynn listens to what his customers want. Very cool final design.

It takes a true beast to gain the title of "Cold Steels flagship mega folder" but it appears that this beautiful monster is truly worthy.

Well that looks a whole lot more like it! Thank you for bringing back the blade shape we all liked! :thumbup:

Now, is the finish satin or still stone washed?

I may be back IN again... ;)

Last edited:
Here's another comparison pic, alongside the American Lawman

SQUARE_4_SM.jpg

Instagram users also got to see a short 15 second video of the knife in-hand.
If you are on IG, check out: @coldsteelknives

Thanks

Here's another comparison pic, alongside the American Lawman

View attachment 625768

Instagram users also got to see a short 15 second video of the knife in-hand.
If you are on IG, check out: @coldsteelknives

Thanks

Wow looks great! BTW, can't tell if it's hollow ground or flat grind, any idea? I like that Cold Steel has been moving towards flat grind like other higher end makers(i.e. ZT and Benchmade), will 4 Max follow the trend too?

The blade on this latest model appears to have a flat ground primary bevel to me (hard to tell for certain), and I'm hoping I'm right. A hollow grind would be out of place on such a beefy tank-ish knife (imho). :thumbup:

I am back in the fold on this. Excellent!

The blade etch placement has changed compared to earlier prototypes, but it's essentially the same.
NOTE: This is a digital mock up, not a photograph of the finished knife, but it'll be something like this:
SQUARE_6_SMALL.jpg

As soon as I have a knife in-hand with the finished etch etc. I'll take a pic for you

Awesome looking knife, looking foreward to handle this beast of a folder.:thumbup:

Back