4v Manix 2 in marbled CF - Fradon Lock Company exclusive

Hey Grumpy what did Krein charge you to regrind the Manix?
$110.00 shipped. I paid shipping to him of course, $110.00 included the regrind & shipping back. I sent the knife fully assembled, I got 2 of the Fradon Lock Manix 2s and sent 1 out the moment I got it. Took roughly 4 weeks or so to get back (busy with trade shows, other regrinds & his custom knives). This one was a slightly inflated cost due to the hardness of CPM 4V (other supersteels would be similar cost, IE M4,S110v etc etc.)

How does the Manix lock mechanism hold up over time? Can anyone report on long term use? I am considering one of the G10 handled models for yard work.

How does the Manix lock mechanism hold up over time? Can anyone report on long term use? I am considering one of the G10 handled models for yard work.
Holds up well. Very durable, tough, reliable, and long lasting.

4V is supposed to be a steel that can run at very high hardness without the fear of chipping. The high hardness also gives a boost in edge stability. Though if I understand correctly there is a slight loss of wear resistance. But what good is wear resistance if you've rolled your edge?

I hope spyderco didn't miss a great opportunity by running it soft. I'll find out soon enough. I'll be reprofiling it to 12dps this weekend.
What was the verdict? Good heat treat or softer then you hoped?

It does well actually. I cut a lot of cardboard and plastic strapping at work. I didn't go 12DPS for reasons of sanity. It would have taken forever to get there from the factory edge. I ended up doing my standard 14DPS centered and sharpened to the ricasso. (that drives me NUTS!)

I'll push the edge eventually, But for now it's holding nicely. And for what it's worth. I kinda think it's gonna take hitting a staple to need an actual sharpening.

**Edit for pic**

UT5Eefc.jpg

cause pics are better. lol

It does well actually. I cut a lot of cardboard and plastic strapping at work. I didn't go 12DPS for reasons of sanity. It would have taken forever to get there from the factory edge. I ended up doing my standard 14DPS centered and sharpened to the ricasso. (that drives me NUTS!)

I'll push the edge eventually, But for now it's holding nicely. And for what it's worth. I kinda think it's gonna take hitting a staple to need an actual sharpening.

**Edit for pic**

UT5Eefc.jpg

cause pics are better. lol
Nice edge

Ive got one on order. Is anyone using a custom clip?
I took the edge to 17dps a degree at a time until it started performing to my personal specs.
I read somewhere this 4V was tested at 64 hardness.

Anyway, I installed this MXG sculpted clip and it got a few nicks so I was going to take it down to bare ti and refinish but when the edges came through first I ran with that theme thinking it looked like my favorite Spydie clip. Wire.
The phillips screws are Emerson and were the only black ones in my spares.
Looks pretty good imo.
PqZ7mAt.jpg

I took the edge to 17dps a degree at a time until it started performing to my personal specs.
I read somewhere this 4V was tested at 64 hardness.

Anyway, I installed this MXG sculpted clip and it got a few nicks so I was going to take it down to bare ti and refinish but when the edges came through first I ran with that theme thinking it looked like my favorite Spydie clip. Wire.
The phillips screws are Emerson and were the only black ones in my spares.
Looks pretty good imo.
PqZ7mAt.jpg
Looks great!

Last edited:
Normally I'd never consider buying or owning two of the same model, but...

Urge to buy rising....

Back