• CPM-154 with Cerakote

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • S35VN

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • S35VN with Cerakote

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
d2 not just in the lead, but beating all the other choices added together. I'm kinda surprised the stainlesses did so poorly on this one.

not really talking about what's stainless and what isnt, more so lumping the cpm154, s35vn together as stainlesses...and being beat badly on the voting. yep price has a factor but didnt think it was gonna crush the 2 stainless out.

I wonder if stainless is getting the beating because there is so much 420HC in the buck lineup already. Not that it's bad, just that it's plentiful already. Kinda like many of the comments against the 119 in the previous poll, "love the 119 but there's plenty out there already in plenty of options."

I don’t know D2 steel and haven’t had any knives in it so I can’t give an opinion on D2. I only know what I’ve read about other people’s opinions and some of the specs and comparisons. Mostly that it’s hard and holds a good edge, but difficult to sharpen. Then a lot of varying opinions about heat treat for toughness for large blades. I trust Buck will do a good job on it and it usually seems they keep it just a bit short of the high side of hardness on knives that I have maybe to have more toughness. I don’t know and correct me if I’m wrong but it seems they know how to get it just right. Hopefully that’s what this one will be.

not really talking about what's stainless and what isnt, more so lumping the cpm154, s35vn together as stainlesses...and being beat badly on the voting. yep price has a factor but didnt think it was gonna crush the 2 stainless out.
I got you I am saying that D2 is close enough to stainless it can practically be lumped in with them. I think between D2 and CPM-154 more prefer D2 and S35VN got put out for myself and probably others as it wasn't believed to be worth the added cost.

We will try to match your current EDC

Spitfire%2BLadies.jpg
Simply awesome. Lol

Yes! Which is why the only (Buck) choices would seem to be 5160 or 420HC.

I think the D2 thinking is the right steel for an entirely different type of knife. For EDC or hunting, sure, D2 for the same reasons I like good 440C. But not for something I'm going to splitting out kindling and then maintaining with a small stone. No... I don't take bit sharpening gear camping with me.
I like 5160 also. It's just nice to see all of the new steels were seeing from Buck lately. D2 should work well for this knife. Plus it's the popular vote. New people might just buy their first Buck. Which would be awesome for Buck.

I would love to see a line of knives fall under this category. I'm sure there are some readers here from Buck.

I like 5160 also. It's just nice to see all of the new steels were seeing from Buck lately. D2 should work well for this knife. Plus it's the popular vote. New people might just buy their first Buck. Which would be awesome for Buck.

I would love to see a line of knives fall under this category. I'm sure there are some readers here from Buck.

I agree that survival/bushcraft is s market Buck hasn't fully developed yet.

But I don't think D2 is the steel to do that.

Larrin's numbers on toughness. D2 is at the back of the pack.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...b-l-niolox-cpm-154-19c27-40cp-and-d2.1546412/

I'd rather see a 119 in D2. Makes sense for a hunting knife.

Ron Hood understood survival knives. The Compadre should be 5160 (or 1095 or 420hc)

I don't think ease of sharpening is nearly the issue that it used to be with the rise in popularity and decreased cost of diamond/CBN sharpeners. A Fallkniven DC4, Spyderco Double Stuff 2, WorkSharp Field Sharpener, or a DMT Diafold can all be had cheaply, are very portable, and will make short work of any of the steels listed.

I prefer uncoated 5160 of the choices listed, but I would like this knife to be a bit unique and 5160 is a staple for Buck (for good reason). S30V is intriguing but I worry that it will put the price of the knife out of reach for some people.

From there, it comes down to what I want to do with the knife... Do I want to trash on it with all kinds of tasks around the campsite? If that's the case, CPM-154 sounds fantastic.

Do I want to use it more for cooking and light tasks without having to worry about sharpening it for a long time? Then D2 sounds great.

For what it's worth, I went with uncoated CPM-154. I also very much like the fact that CPM-154 can be stamped.

I agree that survival/bushcraft is s market Buck hasn't fully developed yet.

But I don't think D2 is the steel to do that.

Larrin's numbers on toughness. D2 is at the back of the pack.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...b-l-niolox-cpm-154-19c27-40cp-and-d2.1546412/

I'd rather see a 119 in D2. Makes sense for a hunting knife.

Ron Hood understood survival knives. The Compadre should be 5160 (or 1095 or 420hc)
Well lots of knife builders prefer it. Bob Dozier the doctor of D2 loves it. There is a lot of back and forth about it,
The majority wants to see this knife in d2 so far. None of the choices are bad. The choice of steels is underway. Pick one and move on. This thread isn't a debate.

That debate might be better suited somewhere else. This crowd is familiar with all of the steels in the category.

I don't think ease of sharpening is nearly the issue that it used to be with the rise in popularity and decreased cost of diamond/CBN sharpeners. A Fallkniven DC4, Spyderco Double Stuff 2, WorkSharp Field Sharpener, or a DMT Diafold can all be had cheaply, are very portable, and will make short work of any of the steels listed.

I prefer uncoated 5160 of the choices listed, but I would like this knife to be a bit unique and 5160 is a staple for Buck (for good reason). S30V is intriguing but I worry that it will put the price of the knife out of reach for some people.

From there, it comes down to what I want to do with the knife... Do I want to trash on it with all kinds of tasks around the campsite? If that's the case, CPM-154 sounds fantastic.

Do I want to use it more for cooking and light tasks without having to worry about sharpening it for a long time? Then D2 sounds great.

For what it's worth, I went with uncoated CPM-154. I also very much like the fact that CPM-154 can be stamped.
What you said sharpening is not a issue especially with a ken onion work sharp

Fact is more than 75% who would buy this Buck would give it light or no use..I can't imagine a sharp Buck in D2 would last less than a week of heavy outdoor use and have to be reseharpened in the field. And few outdoorsmen take only 1 knife. At home it could be touched up easily. I was originally a fan of S35VN because I wanted to try it but my D2 118 works so well and cost is a factor. Unless we pick Stag or Koa it might even be less than $100.00. We know if S35VN was it there was no chance it would be under. Since this will a user for me I'm ok with a nylon shieth...but I like leather better.

Fact is more than 75% who would buy this Buck would give it light or no use..I can't imagine a sharp Buck in D2 would last less than a week of heavy outdoor use and have to be reseharpened in the field. And few outdoorsmen take only 1 knife. At home it could be touched up easily. I was originally a fan of S35VN because I wanted to try it but my D2 118 works so well and cost is a factor. Unless we pick Stag or Koa it might even be less than $100.00. We know if S35VN was it there was no chance it would be under. Since this will a user for me I'm ok with a nylon shieth...but I like leather better.
Very true. Personally I'll use mine camping. Playing now and again around the house. It is a knife that I think Buck needs to have. At least this version of the 104, Obviously Buck has many different steels they could use if this knife ends up in their lineup.
Similar to the 212, introduced in W2 steel, now it's available for 80 Bucks or so in 420HC, 119 in all different kinds of steel, 110 as well. These polls are like marketing experiments, ask what the customers want. Take notes, build the knife and see what happens.
I hope SK and Buck sell a zillion of them.

Back