7/7 has arrived!

I don’t think it’s a lack of understanding, more an opportunity for people to complain. The production process has been explained over a thousand times.
The understanding when people ordered these knives was 90 days not 3 years. Add insult to injury when folks who ordered a 2nd get theirs while others who ordered firsts wait years longer.

There was no such thing as a 90 days wait for the starters, pre-orders or pre-sales knives. Whoever says it was needs some reading lessons. Anything ordered on March or April 2015 was a Starter!
Eta From the starter terms and cond:
  • There is no guaranteed delivery date. Do not order this as a gift or for a trip, because you may not receive it in time. Do be sure you are signed up for our newsletteras we will continue to send out our 1st Friday Production Updates. We also post to social media regularly. Seriously, we do not have dedicated email staff so every email asking when an order will be completed takes us away from filling orders.

Last edited:
There was no such thing as a 90 days wait for the starters, pre-orders or pre-sales knives. Whoever says it was needs some reading lessons. Anything ordered on March or April 2015 was a Starter!
Eta From the starter terms and cond:
  • There is no guaranteed delivery date. Do not order this as a gift or for a trip, because you may not receive it in time. Do be sure you are signed up for our newsletteras we will continue to send out our 1st Friday Production Updates. We also post to social media regularly. Seriously, we do not have dedicated email staff so every email asking when an order will be completed takes us away from filling orders.
My bad. I guess I was confusing the 7/7 with other runs that were promised in 90 days that took years to deliver. Still, folks buying 1st and waiting 3 years while others buy 2nds in 2017 and getting them before 1sts is down right inexcusable and indefensible.

My bad. I guess I was confusing the 7/7 with other runs that were promised in 90 days that took years to deliver. Still, folks buying 1st and waiting 3 years while others buy 2nds in 2017 and getting them before 1sts is down right inexcusable and indefensible.

Hey man, there were no runs that were promised 90 days to deliver, that's what I'm saying and, for some reason, you don't want to understand. The only knives (not runs) that had the 90 days delivery target were factory seconds, and yes they are late on delivering those and if you are waiting for one of those I understand your frustration.
However, all the runs, being starter, pre sales or pre orders had no guaranteed delivery date. How can they be late on delivering if no date or period was set?

Look, if you have a personal vendeta against SK it's fine, I'm just trying to convey the correct information for others reading the forum..
Best,
C.

I think the problem comes from people having ordered starters, pre-sales, and pre-orders before anything such as a "second" existed (or I know that was the case as far as I knew), and 2 to 3 years later, seconds being an option, and those seconds actually being delivered before starters, pre-sales, and pre-orders.

I know I certainly would have LESS of a problem if orders for seconds were put in the queue to be delivered in the order placed, based on order number. In that way, people who ordered seconds end up (probably) still waiting less time than the starters, pre-sales, and pre-orders; however, those people who order first get theirs delivered first. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I believe the problem lies in the fact that SK is SO late in delivering now that no one will pay for ANYTHING up front unless there is the chance they will actually get theirs earlier than the poor guys that ordered firsts. SK is kinda in a bad place, in that respect.

I think the problem comes from people having ordered starters, pre-sales, and pre-orders before anything such as a "second" existed (or I know that was the case as far as I knew), and 2 to 3 years later, seconds being an option, and those seconds actually being delivered before starters, pre-sales, and pre-orders.
That has annoyed a lot of people ever since they started selling seconds. Guy never really wanted to sell seconds in the first place.

I know I certainly would have LESS of a problem if orders for seconds were put in the queue to be delivered in the order placed, based on order number. In that way, people who ordered seconds end up (probably) still waiting less time than the starters, pre-sales, and pre-orders; however, those people who order first get theirs delivered first. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
I don't think that Survive intentionally set out to let seconds jump the queue, but there were so very materials delivered that had defects that they needed to get them out of the shop because they were piling up.

I believe the problem lies in the fact that SK is SO late in delivering now that no one will pay for ANYTHING up front unless there is the chance they will actually get theirs earlier than the poor guys that ordered firsts. SK is kinda in a bad place, in that respect.
I watched the weekly sales very carefully, and as I recall all of the knives that had a fixed inventory (other than perhaps the 4LE, the only knife with a really expensive sheath) tended to sell out, right up until the point that Survive stopped taking orders. When I've done a web search for Survive I seem to find a lot of folks wondering how to place an order since their site doesn't have any inventory available. This willingness of the public to give Survive money for a knife while knowing that it has not been manufactured yet really does seem to be the main reason why Survive has an enormous order backlog. Folks kept ordering whatever was available on the web site despite all the disclaimers.
Since their production process has been drastically slower than they had hoped when they set up the new shop they are completely buried in back orders.
The situation is quite frustrating for everybody involved, I am certain.

That has annoyed a lot of people ever since they started selling seconds. Guy never really wanted to sell seconds in the first place.

I don't think that Survive intentionally set out to let seconds jump the queue, but there were so very materials delivered that had defects that they needed to get them out of the shop because they were piling up.
They sell seconds before they have them.

They certainly have sold seconds before the knives were built, but as I recall only after taking inventory of the materials delivered to them from their machining contractors.
Much like the way that they took orders for the excess firsts, they also sold the seconds once they knew how much of their inventory couldn't be salvaged to make Guy's standards for firsts. The main difference is that they gave a firm commitment to when the seconds would ship that they did not give for any of the firsts. As a result they seem to be attempting to run two sets of production queues, one for firsts and another for seconds. I still think that their shop was filling up with defective materials and they desperately wanted to move them as seconds and uglies, so they gave some priority to getting them finished and out of the way. That decision wasn't particularly fair to the folks that bought in during the starter campaign, but those customers could have taken a refund on their first and bought a second instead if they preferred.

They certainly have sold seconds before the knives were built, but as I recall only after taking inventory of the materials delivered to them from their machining contractors.
Much like the way that they took orders for the excess firsts, they also sold the seconds once they knew how much of their inventory couldn't be salvaged to make Guy's standards for firsts. The main difference is that they gave a firm commitment to when the seconds would ship that they did not give for any of the firsts. As a result they seem to be attempting to run two sets of production queues, one for firsts and another for seconds. I still think that their shop was filling up with defective materials and they desperately wanted to move them as seconds and uglies, so they gave some priority to getting them finished and out of the way. That decision wasn't particularly fair to the folks that bought in during the starter campaign, but those customers could have taken a refund on their first and bought a second instead if they preferred.

So what is this that I've heard lately about a surcharge or hold back, or something, I can't think of the correct word right now, (penalty?) if someone asks for a refund? Is that just a rumor, or true? I ran across it in (I think) another thread, didn't pursue it at the time. If that's true, then someone who has waited 2 or 3 years for a knife, and is still waiting, asks for a refund, and doesn't get a full refund?

So what is this that I've heard lately about a surcharge or hold back, or something, I can't think of the correct word right now, (penalty?) if someone asks for a refund? Is that just a rumor, or true? I ran across it in (I think) another thread, didn't pursue it at the time. If that's true, then someone who has waited 2 or 3 years for a knife, and is still waiting, asks for a refund, and doesn't get a full refund?
They did threaten a restocking fee (on a knife not yet made) and even exclusion from future orders if a refund was requested, at least if I am remembering it correctly. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me either way. Survive gave up on that policy pretty quick because of the negative backlash, again, if memory serves me.

Roger.
I don't really want a refund. The money I've paid (including the 7/7 presale... or pre-order) totals, I think, just under a grand. But I don't want a refund. I just want the knives (except, oddly enough, the 4.1 I have on order; I fear it is going to be too small. But I can always sell it). I wanted the knives when I placed the orders, and that hasn't really changed (despite some things I may spout off now and then when I get really frustrated). But some of them ...well, one of them, is so far out, and I have others similar, that I'm seriously considering requesting a refund for that 5.1.

Roger.
I don't really want a refund. The money I've paid (including the 7/7 presale... or pre-order) totals, I think, just under a grand. But I don't want a refund. I just want the knives (except, oddly enough, the 4.1 I have on order; I fear it is going to be too small. But I can always sell it). I wanted the knives when I placed the orders, and that hasn't really changed (despite some things I may spout off now and then when I get really frustrated). But some of them ...well, one of them, is so far out, and I have others similar, that I'm seriously considering requesting a refund for that 5.1.
If I remember correctly, the 10% restocking fee was only for order placed after January 1, 2017. The exclusion from future orders, was if a person contacted their credit card company demanding a refund before contacting the Survive team to request a refund.

If I remember correctly, the 10% restocking fee was only for order placed after January 1, 2017. The exclusion from future orders, was if a person contacted their credit card company demanding a refund before contacting the Survive team to request a refund.
But remember there was a time when refunds did not come quickly so people where filing paypal claims while they still could (it wasn't just contacting credit card companies, it was filling a claim with paypal). Also, paypal froze survive funds in order to make sure there was money for all the orders they had through them and the increasing amount of claims being filled. They instituted the restocking fee and exclusion in an attempt to stop a flood of refunds. It was an extremely bad PR move.

Roger.
The differences between the 4.7 and the 4.1 are pretty subtle. I have to compare the two side by side (or perhaps pick one up, I prefer the slightly thicker 4.7 handle) to tell one from the other. I've heard that the 4.1 was designed to be more general purpose and the 4.7 was intended primarily for a hammer grip, and I believe it.
I was rather surprised when Survive opened orders for the second run of the 5.1, since they were completely buried in back orders without a credible plan for clearing them out. I feel like I say this every year, but I'm really curious about what production status is going to look like by this Fall.

Back