#78 American Jack

Where do you find these design drawings? I have seen a couple of these GEC mock-ups on BF the last few weeks. I don't recall bumping into model and covering specifics like this on the GEC site?

And yes it is good to see the "What is Happening" page full of 78 work photos.

,,,Mike in Canada

The image is from the website for the company running that SFO. I'd post a link for you but since they are not a BF dealer I can't.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to the M&G whitler hoping it would be a splitback. Looking at the pictures it appears to be a three spring. O well, guess I can save my money.

I'm the exact opposite. I wasn't interested in any of the 78's but that nice wide three-springer has gotten my attention. Still might not get one but I like the wide handle.

B BigJim2x Railsplitter Railsplitter

I love splitbacks, but I figured this would be the configuration given that it matches the antique M&G knife of the same name.

I’ll pick one up, mostly because GEC doesn’t do 3-blade jacks very often, and I regretted not getting a weaver jack when the 56’s were around.

I would like a chance to handle the 3 blade 3 spring SFO, but I think I'd find it too chunky and too heavy. I do like a good sized knife though, and look forward to having my spear and pen version. You all will see more than one picture of it soon enough. stay tuned! :)
Michael

I think the M&G SFO is going to turn out to be a gorgeous knife. That being said, like with past M&G offerings, I would not be inclined to use it, it will just be too pretty. :D Plus, like with some of the bulkier SAKs, I would likely find this particular 78 to be a big awkward and chunky for regular use.

I will look forward to seeing the knives once those of you who plan on ordering one get them in hand though. I really do like that Federal shield...

I am getting a 2 blade and a single blade version myself.

Guys, guys, guys, guys!

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

Guys, guys, guys, guys!

Maybe just not on my phone.....went to have a look at the 'what's happening' on the manufacturer's site, the different handle materials are all so nice. Fun to see the nearly finished knives.
Michael

The Elderberry Jigged Bone is not doing it for me
I hope the Northfield J bone is more pocket worthy

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to post this, but laziness forbade me from doing it myself.

The YW came out really nice. I’m just not sure which cover I want.

I honestly didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I do, I love that it is a barehead. I have some decisions to make...

Being partial to wood, I would probably lean towards the Cocobolo version, though I already have a regular one in that cover on reserve.

I honestly didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I do, I love that it is a barehead. I have some decisions to make...

Being partial to wood, I would probably lean towards the Cocobolo version, though I already have a regular one in that cover on reserve.

Cocobolo has an aged quality about it that just looks right on a slipjoint. I knew I was going to end up with one of the Yankees, I just thought it would be the bone handle. The cocobolo just came out really nice, so it’s giving me pause...

GEC has done a good job of tying up the contents of my wallet for the next couple of months. Despite my initial objections, the Yankee Whittler is going to be hard for me to resist.

Back