#78 American Jack

First Run (2014)
4hiqq5E.jpg

4VXEqh5.jpg

2nd Run coming soon!

That elephant knife is absolutely amazing. You're making me blush. What a knife!

I don't think I'll be picking one of these up just because I like a clip point rather than spear. I have one from the previous run and really love it. I'm very curious about the pulls on the new run. If they are as strong as the first go round I might just have to give in.

I have one 78 in cranberry red jig bone and it is noticeably stronger pull than the 77's but not a nail breaker. Just nice stout pull with great walk and talk.

I'm getting a smooth white bone 2-blade American Jack. I'm looking forward to it, but I must say I can't help but "sigh" at the hotdog shield. And I actually quite like the hotdog shield! But, as someone who usually prefers Tidioute to Northfield, I simply have A LOT of hotdogs in my collection. I think this will be my last hotdog for a while. I just really loved the recent run of 66s for this reason. It would have been great to see an oval or a bomb on one some of the 2-blade variations of these American Jacks.

I'm getting a smooth white bone 2-blade American Jack. I'm looking forward to it, but I must say I can't help but "sigh" at the hotdog shield. And I actually quite like the hotdog shield! But, as someone who usually prefers Tidioute to Northfield, I simply have A LOT of hotdogs in my collection. I think this will be my last hotdog for a while. I just really loved the recent run of 66s for this reason. It would have been great to see an oval or a bomb on one some of the 2-blade variations of these American Jacks.

I love the corset shield on my 66. I too preffer Tidioute for its plain bolsters and satin finished blades, if only they'd put a long pull on more models ...

I've been thinking about getting a 2 blade 78, but I think I'll pass. Probably rather get my Robeson jack (same shape, only shorter at 3 3/8") rehandled.

I'm getting excited about the gunstock 44s though, I'll probably want one of those. The smaller 22s caught my eye when they were produced, but I didn't buy knives from overseas back then yet. The 44 is also more apealing to me because it's bigger. Would be great if they'd make some in buffalo horn.

Does anyone know why GEC seems to have stopped using buffalo horn as a handle material? Was it unpopular?

Does anyone know why GEC seems to have stopped using buffalo horn as a handle material? Was it unpopular?

I seem to recall hearing something awhile back that they actually had problems with it during the manufacturing process. I can't remember where I read that but I do think it came up a little while ago. It turned out to be a problematic material to work with or something to that effect.

Every GEC clad in Buffalo that I have seen has been a real treat for the eyes and I am particularly fond of the horn covers on my Sheffield knives. Hard for me to imagine that it would be an unpopular choice. I know I would surely pounce on them should GEC decide to use it again.

I seem to recall hearing something awhile back that they actually had problems with it during the manufacturing process. I can't remember where I read that but I do think it came up a little while ago. It turned out to be a problematic material to work with or something to that effect.

Every GEC clad in Buffalo that I have seen has been a real treat for the eyes and I am particularly fond of the horn covers on my Sheffield knives. Hard for me to imagine that it would be an unpopular choice. I know I would surely pounce on them should GEC decide to use it again.

Thanks for the reply, Pàdruig. I wonder what made them problems. I'm not familiar with buffalo horn, I only ever heard that it can shrink a bit over the years. It looks awesome though. A pitty. Hopefully we'll see some more of it.

Thanks for the reply, Pàdruig. I wonder what made them problems. I'm not familiar with buffalo horn, I only ever heard that it can shrink a bit over the years. It looks awesome though. A pitty. Hopefully we'll see some more of it.

I am hoping that someone either more knowledgeable than I or remembers the conversation I am referring to better will chime in and shed some light on it. I would certainly love to see GEC do more in both Buffalo and Ram's horn, I think it makes for an exceptional looking cover material. I know it isn't going to be nearly as tough as wood or bone, it surely has its perks though.

I might make an attempt at using BF's search feature here and see if I can't dredge more information on it.

GEC is somewhat of a "just in time" supplier, in that they purchase the raw materials as they need them. With horn, it has to cure over a couple seasons. If you apply it "green" it will definitely shrink and curl a bit over the first few weeks. Also, although this is just a guess, I think it is probably a little more prone to stress cracks during the application process. I think that was enough reason for them to make the decision to avoid it. They made me several SFO's with buffalo horn pre-2010 and they still look flawless - but I cured all horn in the garage for at least a year before sending it to them.

GEC is somewhat of a "just in time" supplier, in that they purchase the raw materials as they need them. With horn, it has to cure over a couple seasons. If you apply it "green" it will definitely shrink and curl a bit over the first few weeks. Also, although this is just a guess, I think it is probably a little more prone to stress cracks during the application process. I think that was enough reason for them to make the decision to avoid it. They made me several SFO's with buffalo horn pre-2010 and they still look flawless - but I cured all horn in the garage for at least a year before sending it to them.

Thank you, Mike, that sums it up very nicely. Exactly the input I was hoping for.

Pàdruig Pàdruig knifeswapper knifeswapper I ISKRA

I’ve had a couple Buffalo Horn handles that shrunk, and one that didn’t (or barely did). I’ve seen a 57 on the big auction site that was shrunken so badly you could tell something was off from the thumbnail image.

Bill was just asked about why they don’t use horn during the Rendezvous tour, and he sited the propensity for warping, and they simply had too many warranty repairs on horn handled knives.

It’s a shame, but it makes sense for GEC to suspend the use of horn if they don’t age it, as Mike said.

Pàdruig Pàdruig knifeswapper knifeswapper I ISKRA

I’ve had a couple Buffalo Horn handles that shrunk, and one that didn’t (or barely did). I’ve seen a 57 on the big auction site that was shrunken so badly you could tell something was off from the thumbnail image.

Bill was just asked about why they don’t use horn during the Rendezvous tour, and he sited the propensity for warping, and they simply had too many warranty repairs on horn handled knives.

It’s a shame, but it makes sense for GEC to suspend the use of horn if they don’t age it, as Mike said.

I think I remember you mentioning that awhile back, it is all coming back to me now.... But yes, if a manufacturer is experiencing a lot of returns/warranty repairs due to a specific material, it absolutely makes perfect sense to end its production. One can hope though that they might do a run or two in the future after allowing the material to cure, but I suppose it will be on them or on a dealer to ensure that the material is good to go, like what Mike did with his.

To get this discussion a little more on topic:

The Bone M&G is finished. I still think I like the Cocobolo version better...

ixKBi3P.jpg

The Elderberry bone is about wrapped up. I really like the color on these, though I still don't think I care for the style of jigging.

PfdzPRj.jpg

Is it just me, or does this Ironwood look lighter than in past runs? Beautiful grain, regardless.

X0TAKH9.jpg

Back