#78 American Jack

I have had my 78 that was so kindly gifted to me by Mrknife a couple of weeks now nd really love this exceptional knife. Mine is a single spear point and is a near perfect EDC.

xXtaV89.jpg

Quite the impressive lineup. Love the stags and the DI!!! Why no Ebony?
I have an ebony 78 and it is beautiful! You could do a lot worse than adding one to you current collection.

You guys tugged at my heartstringso_O:confused::D...I rummaged through a bunch of dealers and finally found an ebony single blade in stock.

bMT17c9.jpg

Last edited:
You guys tugged at my heartstringso_O:confused::D...I rummaged through 14 dealers and found two ebony single blades in stock (actually still one left in the wild at moment, then they will be all sold out:)).

bMT17c9.jpg

I'm glad that you were able to locate one without paying secondary market prices. As someone stated earlier in this thread, that these would be an instant classic, I believe that they are on the mark. GEC was able to use some very tight grained inky black ebony for this run which is what I prefer. I like Ebony when it is all a deep black.

How’s the two blade compared to the one, for you?
Thicker, of course, but its heavier than I expected. That's not a bad thing though, for me. It feels like a tank of a knife.
I really enjoy the slimness of the single blade; its simply a pleasure to hold and fondle. Its also easy to pinch open, which makes it even more inviting for me.
The Northfield can't be pinched, due to the secondary blade in the way and the swedges not affording any grip.
Overall, I'm just in love with the single blade Tidiuote. Its simply a beautiful knife and feels great in every respect. The action is sublime.

However, I don't find a spearpoint all that practical by itself so I'm going to carry the Northfield as a user. This one just embodies the archetype of a traditional jack knife in my opinion.

Is the pull stiffer on the NF? I've found this to be so.
Definitely. The Tidouote is a solid 6, and the Northfield main is about a 7, bordering on 8.
But its hard for me to judge since the fulcrum is further back than on the Tidioute. This one also has more manufacturing gunk in the pivot than I've ever encountered, so that may change after I flush it and break it in a bit.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks it is odd that we don't see a lot more of the desert ironwood examples? I have tried to keep up with this and other threads and can't seem to remember seeing very many at all. I guess a lot were purchased by folks that are not members here.

Back