8670 First Run - What David Mary Custom knife are you waiting to see made?

Okay not the symmetrical ones.

Because of the time sensitivity for me to get this moving, I have decided to cut the rest ahead of schedule. Will post pics later.

I love most of your designs. The only limitation for me is money, or rather my wife who limits my out-of-control spending on knives. Probably for the best! But if we’re to suggest something, maybe some sort of combat knife akin to a Kabar, but with your characteristic excellent edge geometry so it also cuts well, which in my experience many “combat” knives do not.

Here's what I have so far.

.102"

Broadchef, 7" blade
IMG_2060.JPG

Hybrid Nessmuk
IMG_2061.JPG

.160"

Plainseax
IMG_2066.JPG

Sword machete the first
IMG_2065.JPG

Sword machete the second
IMG_2064.JPG

Machete with undetermined tip profile
IMG_2063.JPG

.186"

Smatchet
IMG_2062.JPG

And here's what's left to work with, pardon my doodling, it's just for visualization and idea purposes. The sheet is .186" and the slim cut off is .160". It's got the right profile, but the stock seems a little thick to make a boning knife. But could it be some kind of super slim zero edge convex hidden tang fighter?

As for the rest of the big sheet, I have to sleep on it.

IMG_2059.JPG

A previous image that contained premature pricing info has been redacted.

I like the Prevail as a good all rounder, but I think it would be formidable in an XL or 2XL.

IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG

Lots of .186" material left to decide what to do with.

IMG_2078.JPG

I thought I should change the title of the thread to reflect the focus it has taken on this run of 8670, hence adding "8670".

Here is what that bottom picture in the post above now looks like:

IMG_2126.JPG

Also, this is a whole sheet purchased for a very special commission:

IMG_2127.PNG

This is .225" 8670, which will have the umbrella shaped tang forged straight by Andy, and then heat treated. It is a 20" bladed Breitsaxe with a 10" tang. It will be finished by the customer with a traditional wood handle and scabbard. There may be enough material here for one more big knife. It's not too often I work with nearly quarter inch stock... but if I have it, I might make something with it eventually.

Did I see that special commission in an episode of Forged In Fire?

4rP5ESn.jpg

NVM the design is different, but is it gonna be held the same way?

Back