A good short read for all the SHTF guys wanting a sword..

Oh, I forgot the swords I have spent the most time cutting with. The XIIIa and XIIa cut those hard targets as well. Strangest target? .50 lead shot in a two litre stuffed in a leather boot.

25iyv0l.jpg

The long one is 51" overall Del Tin 5157. Not the cutter compared to the other two there. The XIIIa 2 pounds 12 ounces. The XIIa (center) a smidge over three pounds (those are both older ATrim) The Del Tin about 3 pounds 5 ounces. Dances/handles like a feather though and cuts empty plastic bottles (long blade, fast tip speed). So at the same velocity at the best section of the blade for a katana, or one of these three above, the longer swords have more mass in motion and more tip speed.

Believe it, or not. :)

I'd sell all my medieval stuff to finance more antiques (and ammo) but I like what I buy and let very few go.

Cheers

GC

Actually I think I have my ideal. Zombie Tools Hellion Falcata. It's very much like a suped up machete. Very solidly overbuilt long khukri kinda thing. I've spent the last month+ hacking up all sorts of things with it and I'm pleased with its handling and performance. I'd like it more if it had the more traditional "horse-head" style hilt, but it works well as it is.

Actually, you might do well to comprehensively read my previous post (that you had posted parts of)

I'm sorry....are you talking about your post #55? What content do you believe is in it, such that there could be a comprehensive read of it?

Some of my experiences (and others that have cut with me) are here for all to read as well. I claim no great knowledge beyond my own experiences and others I associate with in real life.

If you claim your experience at all in the context of proving a point, then you need to say what that experience is and how it's specific to proving a point. What you can't do is tell general stories about your experiences somewhere and expect that that establishes you as a subject matter expert whose word must be taken at face value wherever you go in a particular community forever after...even if you provide lots of pictures of your swords to go along with it.

You made the very specific claim that "the advantage of a curve blade is close to nil". What you did not do is tell us, specifically, what you did to establish that. Apparently, you have these "experiences", and - so you say - your "experiences" support your claim. However, for all we know you were doing it wrong....if at all. Unfortunately, we cannot vet that....because you haven't given us your specific actions on which you based your conclusion. Apparently, we're supposed to base our blind acceptance of your conclusion on your anecdotal reputation at Bladeforums.

Let's go back a bit in this thread a bit here.

That, your response to my comment

Then

I get the sense that you're trying to make a point with the citations you made; but I'll be darned if I can see it. What's going on there? Did you do an inventory of the number of "ham slicers" residing in the world's kitchens? Are we comparing that number to the numbers of curved blades? Is this a numbers game, such that if X = the number of curved blades and 100X = the number of straight blades, then the curve must not do anything? Do meat processors who use curved blades say, "well, according to Horseclover, the curve doesn't do anything, but what the heck....let's make our work more difficult!" Do you even know how many curved blades there are vs straight blades?

You said, "Look at a ham slicer". OK.......what is your point? What are you going for, exactly?

You may have missed this towards the end pf that post of mine.

You might also be missing that the form was for the light cavalry and heavy cavalry used straight swords. The British 1796 heavy not a slim pallasch (look it up) but rather a blade not so unlike the slashing swords of the "vikings". We'll get back to curved swords in a minute.

Didn't miss anything. Why would I comment on a point that supports my argument?

That's what I've read the curved blade is better for; and it seemed to be a technique facilitator, not any kind of improvement to the actual mechanics of the blade cutting.

Do you know "why" light cavalry used curved swords and heavy cavalry used straight swords? Do you think maybe that they saw some mechanical advantage to each blade type given the role of each type of cavalry? Or is their "experience" not enough for you?

Another section you you replied to reads

You were replying to this

You seem to think I am writing this from some sort of vacuum and had thought of nothing you relate.

On the contrary.....I think you writing from the false presumption that you know enough to be correct, when it doesn't seem like you do. Your response to Crimson Falcon's mechanical advantage comment was patently false; and it doesn't take specific knowledge in sword technicals to see it....merely the ability to analyze motion. The advantage of the curved blade in the draw cut is the tangent nature of its contact with the surface being cut regardless of the path of the swing. In the same way - but opposite orientation- a hawkbill blade will always have the tendency to draw the material into the cutting surface. A straight blade does not have a tangent; if it impacts at or near parallel to the surface tangent, the direction of the stroke must change 90 degrees to do a draw cut. Mechanics of motion.....no "experience" with swords is necessary.

Undoubtably, you have a rehearsed example of where you made a draw cut with a straight sword and didn't have to change the direction of your swing. Save it. Had we all been present, we'd have seen that your swing and the impact and mass of the sword pushed the target into the correct orientation. A perfectly valid and legitimate outcome; however, engineeringly different than your "close to nil" conclusion.

Moreover, all of the above depends upon "everything else being equal", which you openly failed to recognize when you -accurately- pointed out that "large western medieval types...have succeeded where the katana [has] failed (due to mass at speed due to longer blades)." In other words, because of other variables besides curve, which is exactly what I meant when I said you needed to control your variables. Ergo, my point....QED.

Bore you with details and real life experiences with others? C'mon down next time we do this. Always glad to see BFers. The Northeast Cutlery Collectors Association were happy to have visited this day. We have been doing this since 2003 and an associate longer than that down in Lincoln RI. There are knives as well and mine actually as big a public draw as my four dozen or sword swords (yes, I cut with some antique swords as well).

Do you guys fight to the death for real? Do you have a mechanical arm that you can set force/speed of swing, for reliable replication of cutting techniques? Do you have near-identical sword specimens with single variable differences in order to reliably narrow cause-effect analysis? If not, it sounds like a hobby organization with a focus on entertaining and education. We have Ren Faires here that do that. I love swords....but I also love a lot of other things; and I value my time.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

Books? Sword related? Ummm, yup.

How much is too much curve? Russian infantry

More than a katana huh?

Which sword below has more tip speed and overall cutting ability (with both swinging and drawing at the same velocities). Read that again, just in case. :)

Which target below was more impossible to cut with a katana (I know hard to see but discussed by me recently, here at BF.

What was that last bit? Free association of some kind? I'm not getting your point....

Not sure why you seem to need my credentials when you have offered none directly to me, nor bothered to reply with what your slicers are. A pretty simple request. What is your personal experience with swords? I'm not bashful but a real inventory and reviews of all will take the rest of my life. Suffice it to say I have not handled all the swords ever made but I have decent relations to the five dozen I have and had, with larger medieval types being what I have cut most with. BTW, it was not only in my hands that the katana did not make the cut (that's a pun, if I were to make a point). :)

I don't need credentials because I didn't maintain anything. I very clearly told Triton that I am in no position to evaluate sword technicals; and I clearly identified that what I said was what I'd read. I don't have a problem admitting that I don't know a topic.

Adding input for discussion is fine; where you crossed the line is where you presumed yourself the position of "credentials supervisor". It is not a leap of logic to say that anyone who challenges someone else's credentials as a way to stifle disagreement or evade addressing a legitimate point is just asking for their own credentials to be picked apart, so they ought to have them in order.

Last edited:
What's the weights of a 1796 & contemporary basket hilt?

A period British 1796 light cavalry sabre will range anywhere from just under to a little more than two pounds. Reproductions are generally somewhat heavier and lack the extreme non-linear distal taper. There is (of course) variation even of "regulation" swords. A friend has a re-ground Cold Steel reproduction and while it is less nose heavy than it was before re-grinding, still has more forward heft than a period sword.

By non linear distal , I am meaning period swords starting with stock somewhat thicker (3/8", some more) than reproductions, losing half that thickness in the first six inches of blade thinning gradually to where the fuller ends and then stepping down to wafer thin at the point.

Not sure what you are regarding as a contemporary basket hilt.

Cheers

GC

On the contrary.....I think you writing from the false presumption that you know enough to be correct

Not at all, simply posting opinion and responding to someone.

Adding input for discussion is fine; where you crossed the line is where you presumed yourself the position of "credentials supervisor".

I apologize for asking for your personal experiences and expertise.

Cheers

GC

Sorry, I meant the weights of a 1796 heavy British straight, & a basket hilted claymore of the same period (Napoleonic Wars).
basket_weights_404.jpg
sbh.ovoid.l96bl81w32wt590.horsemansaber1750.sbar_310.jpg

English Horseman Saber c.1750 Length 37.75 inches, Blade Length 32 inches Blade Width 1.25 inches. Weight 1.3 pounds

sbh.mushroom.l114bl98w36wt1996.englishhorsemansaber1755.sbar_782.jpg

English Horseman Saber c.1755 Length 45 inches, Blade length 38.25 inches, Blade Width 1.4 inches, Weight 4.4 pounds

Last edited:
Yes, I don't know the late 18th and 19th century full baskets at all really and the Victorian and later British baskets are slim blades.

I have never handled a period 1796 heavy but there is an old thread here
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=24213

Martin Read's articles at the Napolean Series are worthwhile
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/c_organization.html

Read, Martin

The British 1796 Pattern Light Cavalry Sword
A look at the light cavalry sword used by the British Army.

Getting the Point: Some Functional Aspects of the 1796 British Heavy Cavalry Sword
Examines the different modifications made by soldiers in the field to the British heavy cavalry sword point. This paper won "Best Military Paper" in the 2003 Napoleon Series Writing Contest!

Cavalry Combat and the Sword: Sword Design, Provision, and Use in the British Cavalry of the Napoleonic Era.
Why British swordmanship was so effective!

Then a good collector's blog here
http://swordscollection.blogspot.com/2012/02/1796-heavy-cavalry-officer-undress.html

I would expect some variation in the weights but not as varied as comparing the full baskethilts through history. I could pull out Neumann's, who does list weights for a lot of baskets but you seem to have ample resources for the earlier ones.

Cheers

GC

Edit
Actually friend Jonathan Hopkins did bring a heavy to the tables in 2007 but I did not spend any real handling time with his collection, nor weigh it. It was more of a pleasure to just see them in person. Between the two baskets there.
1749ib.jpg

Last edited:
I hope never to have to see a SHTF scenario, but if I do.... Seriously, with all of the guns and ammo stockpiled by retailers, civilians, law enforcement and the military there wouldn't be anything bigger than a gerbil left alive on the continent by the time we collectively run out of ammo.

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-unscripted-scene.jpg

n2s

Last edited:
^Yup. Also, enough reloading equipment has been sold that even if the commercial supplies dry up there will be ammo available for a loooong time.

^Yup. Also, enough reloading equipment has been sold that even if the commercial supplies dry up there will be ammo available for a loooong time.

Not to mention, gunpowder isn't THAT hard to make; on top of that, you have bows, crossbows, and air rifles.

But let's forget all that, just think critically for a second. You're talking about a giant, overnight, ~8 billion person free-for-all that lasts long enough for people to fire off many billions of rounds of ammunition. Unless you're saying that every single person worldwide is a self absorbed psychopath, it is beyond the realm of reality that even following a massive fall of all human civilization that people will not band together and form new societies. On top of that we're not going to, overnight, lose common technologies that we've had for a thousand years.

What I'm saying is, that by the time humans run out of ammunition to the point where a sword would be the weapon of choice humans would, A) be extinct or close to it, B) Be so completely out of our minds, (and likely deaf) that we won't remember what we bought the sword for in the first place, or C) (much more likely) have already formed new civilizations producing more stuff to kill each other with.

Business as usual!

Pretty sure in a SHTF most people go down the old way: Pestilence! :D

Last edited:
I own many swords and spears so I am covered. And I have around 40K rounds of ammo in my stash so the statement the author made about most people running out of ammo within a year is BS. At least in my case.

I have a Hanwai Tact Wak, and its a fine little fighting weapon.

Back