A job that needs a knife...

I’m currently a high school teacher, so my need for a knife isn’t great relative to other jobs.

But I was a soldier for 25 years, and in that career a good knife saved my butt more than once. During much of that time the knife in my pocket was the humble Victorinox Huntsman.

71074941-9464-4163-A45D-A7D75B94BC9F.jpeg

image.jpg House painter, My rat 1 has been my work knife for about 2 years. I have cut plastic to cover furniture,bag windows etc. opened paint cans(with spine)cut boxes open,Sheetrock,put screws in and out of electrical outlets and a bunch of other things. Some days use it a lot other days not so much.Cheap enough so I won’t be freaking out if I loose it and easy enough to sharpen when needed.And try not to get paint all over it.

The only college around here that had the program was too expensive (almost $60k per year for a five year degree) and I wasn't really into the idea of traveling far for college.

oh I see, I really can't understand those prices for arch students :confused:

Building maintenance and I carry a knife daily. Use it for whatever in conjunction with my Leatherman, Channellocks and 6-in-1 screwdriver. Scrape, pry, cut, score...it’s all game

I always need a sharp knife with me for modelling and other crafts. I'm an architect and do a lot of handmade
75rg7yE.jpg

What kind of handmade do you do?

I use similar tools, or at least used to, as a designer. Used to use an X-acto every day for mounting marker comps, mocking up product packaging, and presenting exhibit concepts to clients. Now-a-days, with email, Photoshop, 3D software, and presenting digitally, physical mock-ups are pretty much a thing of the past.

The only college around here that had the program was too expensive (almost $60k per year for a five year degree) and I wasn't really into the idea of traveling far for college.

I can't understand that kind of pricing for anything. But I guess that's Carnegie Mellon for you.

I’m betting we live in the same region.

I wanted to go into architecture as well. Had 4 years of drafting in high-school (before CD existed). I never looked into CMU, as it was both way out of my price range, and my grades were not nearly good enough. Tried PSU (also a very good program) but the year I graduated you needed over a 4.0 just to be considered, as well as a portfolio. I had the portfolio, but far from the 4.0.

The job where I most needed a knife was the one where I wasn't allowed to have one- The Dept of Corrections.:)

Over the years I ran across "several" inmates that I'd just as soon cut their throats as look at them.

The bosses are probably afraid that if 3-4 jump you now one is armed (not that they don't arm themselves anyway). Getting killed by your own knife probably wouldn't be much fun.

The bosses are probably afraid that if 3-4 jump you now one is armed (not that they don't arm themselves anyway). Getting killed by your own knife probably wouldn't be much fun.
A fellow knife maker friend was a Corrections Officer for 20 years and told me how the inmates can make many sharp pointy things out of plastic to paper and even metals! He ended his talk down memory lane by saying. I’d rather be shot than stabbed!:eek:

I’m betting we live in the same region.

I wanted to go into architecture as well. Had 4 years of drafting in high-school (before CD existed). I never looked into CMU, as it was both way out of my price range, and my grades were not nearly good enough. Tried PSU (also a very good program) but the year I graduated you needed over a 4.0 just to be considered, as well as a portfolio. I had the portfolio, but far from the 4.0.
I take back what I said about CMU being the only one around to offer it. I guess PSU was within reasonable distance too but it was never a place with a reputation I wanted any part of...

What kind of handmade do you do?

I use similar tools, or at least used to, as a designer. Used to use an X-acto every day for mounting marker comps, mocking up product packaging, and presenting exhibit concepts to clients. Now-a-days, with email, Photoshop, 3D software, and presenting digitally, physical mock-ups are pretty much a thing of the past.

X-acto of course, me too

I like prototyping by creating physical models, it helps me understand the material better. And it's a kinda rest for me away from my laptop. Sometimes I create souvenirs for my friends, like these gypsum models
Iqz1XGp.jpg
TIYhGcx.jpg

Or something abstract just for myself

Vjid1AX.jpg

All these awesome posts and photos of knives doing real work. Looks fantastic.

Im a compliance manager in technology for various gov/industry regulations. Um......i use my SAK Cadet to cut my apple for a snack every day.....:(. No cool photos of that. Lol

Back