A question about a some ammo and a gun.

I wanted to know if this place would a good place to ask about guns and ammo on here as on this forum. Not interested in an argument just a few questions as I don't have as much knowledge about this subject.

which ammo is easier to find in bulk? 5.56 or 7.62/39 and which is cheaper to buy? Its also which ammo will be easier to get later on as well.
If any of you can direct me in the right direction please.

Good or bad opinion about the hi point carbine 9mm??

I also live in CA so I know that makes a huge difference with everything.

I asked this question in the wrong forum and were told this is the right place for it.

Thanks

If the Russians ever enter into a serious armed conflict they will demand that every single round of 7.62 x 39 be sent to them. And they'll gladly pay for it. I'm my opinion 5.56 will always be easier to source, obtain, and stock up on for US citizens.

I have no experience with Highpoint firearms, a lot of people think they are crap because of their low price, but I've seen some YouTube videos where they were very reliable. im not sure Hipoint is CA compliant. You can pick up a Ruger LC9S for not much more than the Hipoint.

I wanted something larger in 9mm as a carbine maybe go to .45 but keep the price down if I can. There would be some changes in CA laws next year that's why I'm looking for it more now.

The Hipoint carbine is a fine little gun, they work very well. Really can't think of a bad thing to say about them. 5.56 will probably always be reasonably easy to find in the future. Right now it and 7.62x39 are both easy to find and pretty close in price as well. The Keltec Sub2k also has a good reputation and can use Glock or Berreta mags if thats a concern for you.

Right now 7.62x39 and 5.56/223 are both easy to find. There is no shortage.

7.62x39 is much cheaper at 180-250 per 1000 rounds for normal stuff, higher for American brass cased ammo but that is totally unnecessary in 7.62x39 firearms. Any steel ammo will work fine. I shoot tula/wolf all the time with no issues. My favoirte is Golden Tiger which is something like $210-230 a case of 1000 last time I bought one.

As for 5.56/223... again there is no shortage of this.... but it is more expensive. Cases will be in the $300 range. Per box of 20 rounds you're looking at $6-9 for normal stuff. I don't usually buy 5.56/223 buy the case, usually by boxes of 20 locally since my local shop has a decent deal for federal .223 at 6.99 a box.

Russia going to war has not much to do with things, they already supply many areas in conflict. Typically the surplus ammunition is what is effected. Take for instance 7.62x54r. The ammo that the Mosin Nagant, SVD, and PKM style machine guns fire. There was a TON of cheap surplus ammo around but recently is all being bought up because of the Syrian/Middle east conflicts. 7.62x39 hasnt been effected. Plus... most Russian military rifles fire the 5.45x39 round. Not the 7.62x39. Yes there are still some, but most Russian military are using the AK74, not the 47.

I shoot both. The only preference comes down to which rifle you like to shoot more or which you shoot better.

If you want a 9mm carbine, look into the CZ Evo. I dont know if you can get one CA compliant though. Your state sucks. I would go for a CA complaint AR15 right now if I were you, as prices on ARs are at an all time low and will only go up from here. $500-$700 for an entry level AR, $300ish for 1000 rounds of .223 and you're set. Or you could look into the Ruger Mini 14. They're good rifles and they make them in 5.56/223 , 7.62x39, .300blk out, 6.8spc. So you could really choose which ever caliber you want with one of those, but you will spend more for that then an AR right now.

Last edited:
The only bad question is one not asked. A lot of these questions are coming out, with the mess that's ahead of us. Good responses guys!

Converge . I'm going to look more in the CZ evo but I don't think CA will allow it. I also know the chance for me to ever use it in real self. But I rather have it and not need it.
With AK I feel fairly o.k with what I'm looking for. But what should I be looking with the AR? prices are all over the place How and what do you compare them? I'm not looking for a match quality type but something good and reliable. Also price is an issue BUT I rather pay extra for something good then save money and buy garbage.

The Smith & Wesson is a fine one to start with. Reasonable price and quality. The Ruger 556 is another one. Or build it yourself which is what I always do.

if I would have tried to build one then I would have had even more questions to ask. Like what I need what is good or not. Then check what I can get here in CA. People would get tired to hearing my name lol . I will see what ruger has and smith &Wesson . Thank you dave.

No problem, if I were in your shoes I'd be buying a 80% receiver and doing some milling. then just adding a complete upper and lower parts kit.

I think you are all missing an important point. Sasha is in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. AR15's and such will soon be illegal there. Hi-cap magazines are contraband. Any semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine is classified as an "assault rifle" and will be illegal.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article88521977.html

Exactly why I said CA compliant. You can get an AR15 that is CA okay. It has a bullet button and stupid stock. Just search CA compliant AR15. Unless they changed that recently. But I would really look into the Mini 14 since you're in CA. That is probably your best bet if you want a rifle that doesn't have its balls chopped off too badly

If they have changed that recently and you cannot own those at all even with the bullet button and CA stocks, then you're probably SOL and should look into something like an SKS... that has an internal magazine so maybe that would still be okay. Such a bullshit state.

Last edited:
guys you don't even know half of the stuff about CA, I don't mean it in a good way.
Yes I need something that will o.k to take out to the range every once in a while and practice with it. With out being afraid of getting arrested. My GF loves to shoot and she is not bad at it. A smaller caliber like the 9mm would be great for her just in case as it would be easier to use and shoot.
I shot the mini 14 in 5.56 and it was o.k. wasn't very impressed with it, was in stock form 100%. But it was a long time ago and I shot maybe 30 rounds out of it. The more I think about it the better it sounds really. Can always change the stock back and forth on it as I like the pistol grip.

Check out Mossberg ar, good gun at a great price.

For now, a standard bullet button is still legal. Once 1/1 rolls around, detachable magazines and any of the following pistol grip, flash hider, forward grip, adjustable stock will have to be registered as an "assault weapon."

There are several workarounds right now, but it's pretty much certain that registering is the last option one should take, at all costs.

The AR15 is a far superior system to the mini14, M1a, etc. Cheaper, easier to maintain, more accurate as well as lighter weight. Caliber options are plentiful as well. I shoot 3 different calibers in various AR platforms, all function flawlessly.

I have no experience with the other gun options you listed, but for ammo 5.56 or any domestic mil caliber will be the better option in the long run.

-Xander

I wanted to know if this place would a good place to ask about guns and ammo on here as on this forum. Not interested in an argument just a few questions as I don't have as much knowledge about this subject.

which ammo is easier to find in bulk? 5.56 or 7.62/39 and which is cheaper to buy? Its also which ammo will be easier to get later on as well.
If any of you can direct me in the right direction please.

Good or bad opinion about the hi point carbine 9mm??

I also live in CA so I know that makes a huge difference with everything.

I asked this question in the wrong forum and were told this is the right place for it.

Thanks

I'd look to 5.56 myself. The commie stuff is ok too but you're better off (IMO) with the smaller, faster 5.56.

HiPoint - they are ok for what they are. The customer service is excellent - which is a good thing because there's a decent chance you will need to send it back a few times to get it working properly. Once it works reliably, it seems to work well. My buddy has the 9mm carbine (back to the shop 3x I think) - it's a good shooter and rarely malfunctions now. As a bonus, he's got a box full of mags for the thing.

I take it you are considering paring one of those with a 9mm handgun or something? Or is this a item you are considering instead of the 5.56 / 7.62x39?

Exactly why I said CA compliant. You can get an AR15 that is CA okay. It has a bullet button and stupid stock. Just search CA compliant AR15. Unless they changed that recently. But I would really look into the Mini 14 since you're in CA. That is probably your best bet if you want a rifle that doesn't have its balls chopped off too badly

If they have changed that recently and you cannot own those at all even with the bullet button and CA stocks, then you're probably SOL and should look into something like an SKS... that has an internal magazine so maybe that would still be okay. Such a bullshit state.

You are behind the times. Gubener Moonbeam signed a bunch of anti-gun bills into law. No more of these evil assault rifles in the PRK even with the bullet button.

The SKS will be the best option then, if those are even still legal there. Technically you can get detachable magazines for the SKS though, even though they suck maybe it counts for CA. In Stock configuration it is an internal magazine. The SKS is a great rifle though, can't go wrong with one. If the OP even needs a rifle, I know this started as an ammo question.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, and I am honestly not trying to be sarcastic, you might want to consider voting with your feet....

Back