A radical theory, and leaving the world of expensive modern knives behind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, before you go - could you provide a bit more substantiation on the following:

To be fair, at least getting a splitting maul shaving sharp ain't that tough. This is my favorite splitter and while I touched up the edge for the photos and shaving, I generally keep it this sharp. Really helps with plowing through knots and the like. I've even bucked logs before when I didn't have a better tool on hand and boy does a bit this thick and a head this heavy throw chips! (5.5lb head) Most of those other claims are pretty hyperbolic, though. :D

53298662_10217993423455611_7478812825809321984_n.jpg

53865552_10217993423655616_5436675186457837568_n.jpg

53262026_10217993424215630_174585008923607040_n.jpg

53303532_10217993424535638_6966242542417346560_n.jpg

53221689_10217993425055651_2853708852807860224_n.jpg

I've been collecting hundreds of knives of every description for 15 years, since I was a child, including countless survival and combat knives costing hundreds of dollars. I have been an avid hunter, fisher, hiker, and prepper for my entire life. I am also a professional butcher and use my own knives that I personally sharpen for 50 hours per week at work. I've cut more stuff in more ways and with more knives than virtually anyone.

Taking a step back and looking at this again, I must say that it is impressive that choppa has managed to amass all this knowledge and experience by the age of 28.

JqAyvDm.png

I have never uploaded photos to the internet. Never used social media either, other than anonymous forums like this. I'm really not interested in having some formal debate with peer-reviewed sources being cast like wizard spells, I just posted this to see if any other knife nuts were on the same trail as me or if I was an oddball.

“Mora and Opinel. All else is vanity.”

Not the same trail, I’m just cheap. I like cheap knives that work. The ones that cut the best tend to be thin. I like to have some thicker ones around, in case I have to pop open a frozen car door.

This photo is here because these are the knives I got out to play with as I read this thread.

43D8862E-6EA5-4819-96B7-854B950414FE.jpeg

I would like to know where he works. I have been a meat cutter for 45 years (next month) and wages in the industry are..."modest"... to say the least. I wish I could afford a throw away knife like a CRK or a Shiro or an Olamic....
I want to know your opinions! I'm guessing the OP is 35 maybe, from what he stated. You have more years cutting than he has on Earth!

In other shocking news, a harberd skool study shows that most people who buy mercedes don't know a single thing abouts kars, how to drive them efficiently and maintain them optimally, heres da shocker..get this..they take it to mechanics..plebes!!

I want to know your opinions! I'm guessing the OP is 35 maybe, from what he stated. You have more years cutting than he has on Earth!
According to his profile it states he's 28. By that maybe cutting for 10 years or so, not really important in the grand scheme of things.

As far as the butcher knives I use at work? Well they do work just fine for what they were designed for and that is...well...cutting meat, but not much else. They are stainless steel but no idea as to what grade. But they are tough little buggers as I have only ever took a chip out of the cutting edge (damn turkeys) and snapped the tip off from dropping said knife tip down onto the floor. Oh, and they aren't expensive at all. I think the last time I heard the price (maybe 10 years ago?) was $40 for the both of them. We use steels to keep them somewhat sharp, but I have been using the same type of knives forever and they have managed to give me a few scars here and there. So they are sharp enough.

I wouldn't want to carry them around as they aren't the most portable/acceptable looking things. I also don't think they would last too long cutting anything too hard (again, damn turkeys). Nope, I would rather have a nice fancy steel blade folder that would be far more useful and discrete. Oh, and yes, I can get those sharp enough to add a few more scars as well.

Taking a step back and looking at this again, I must say that it is impressive that choppa has managed to amass all this knowledge and experience by the age of 28.

JqAyvDm.png
According to his profile it states he's 28. By that maybe cutting for 10 years or so, not really important in the grand scheme of things.

As far as the butcher knives I use at work? Well they do work just fine for what they were designed for and that is...well...cutting meat, but not much else. They are stainless steel but no idea as to what grade. But they are tough little buggers as I have only ever took a chip out of the cutting edge (damn turkeys) and snapped the tip off from dropping said knife tip down onto the floor. Oh, and they aren't expensive at all. I think the last time I heard the price (maybe 10 years ago?) was $40 for the both of them. We use steels to keep them somewhat sharp, but I have been using the same type of knives forever and they have managed to give me a few scars here and there. So they are sharp enough.

I wouldn't want to carry them around as they aren't the most portable/acceptable looking things. I also don't think they would last too long cutting anything too hard (again, damn turkeys). Nope, I would rather have a nice fancy steel blade folder that would be far more useful and discrete. Oh, and yes, I can get those sharp enough to add a few more scars as well.
I spent some time on a salmon butcher line. The knives were all stainless and I'm sure it was mediocre steel. Somebody sharpened them for us every morning on a belt (if I recall correctly). They cut fine for their intended task. When you're on a disassembly line you just need a handle that's not slippery when it's wet and a blade that cuts. In my case 2 or 3 different knives, depending on what we were doing.

That said, I would not one of those knives in my kitchen and they would be fairly poor outdoor knives. Very different tasks.

If you spend 50 hours a week sharpening your knife, maybe it's time to upgrade.:eek:
Yeah frankly I question this too. Not only is he sharpening 50 hours a week, but he is also sharpening AT work. Meaning what...He spends more time being inefficient and sharpening than actually processing meat o_O? Sounds to me like he could process a LOT more meat if he actually were to favor more modern steels...Since sharpening for 10 hours per day can't be productive.

Just makes it fit in with his other claims perfectly, as in being more likely to be hyperbole or just flat out lies to try to add some level of accreditation due his flawed arguments.

I don't even work 50 hours a week. The idea of doing work preparation for longer than it takes to do the work itself, even if possible, is one heck of a bad deal at paycheck time.

If you spend 50 hours a week sharpening your knife, maybe it's time to upgrade.:eek:

Or get better at using it so you don't bang up the edge that much, or get better sharpening equipment so the resharpening goes way faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back