1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

A Tale of Twin Cowbells

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by Redmeadow Knives, Oct 29, 2020.

1. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Redmeadow Knives likes this.
  2. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I agree :cool: Well managed John. Did the first one seem a bit edgy while waiting for its brother or was it just strutting around on point? :D

3. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    The first ones six minute solo was a bit brutal. It got ugly when the second one came, it turned into a Cowbell version of Dueling Banjos:eek:

Ron L, Sharp & Fiery and RayseM like this.
  4. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    20201202_191722-01.jpeg
    [​IMG]

5. Ron L

Ron L Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Loving it!

Loving it!

greatscoot, Rupestris and jmgruber like this.
  6. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    My apologies for the lack of updates in here, handles are finished and I'll be starting on sheaths soon.

jmgruber likes this.
  7. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    He's been distracted by Harry:D

Ron L and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  8. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    I'll post his knife over there later, we'll need to bust his balls a bit, he's on the forum.

Here's a shot of the twins, making stencils and etching is next, any last minute requests Ron?
    IMG_20201210_122318_549-01.jpeg

9. Ron L

Mar 23, 1999
    Dayum!

I need to say your timing on this post is impeccable. Today had been completely 2020’d until I saw this. Looking forward to seeing the stencils; I’m interested to see how the etch process works.

10. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Glad to hear that Ron, hope today is better for you. I've tried to make a video of the stencil process before, it's just a pain because I have to use a darkroom. If you're interested though I'll lay it out from start to finish at least with pics if I can't get a good video.

11. Ron L

Mar 23, 1999
    Hell, we’re all distracted by Harry, but I don’t mind.

jlauffer likes this.
  12. Ron L

Mar 23, 1999
    As long as it doesn’t take away from cowbells or Harry.

jlauffer likes this.
  13. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Not the most interesting stuff but here's a run down of how I make stencils.

I use a free program called Inkscape. It's nice because you can tweak just about everything you want. Height, width, spacing, font, thickness, etc... You can make it as tall as you need to taylor it to a knifes spine thickness or ricasso area.

In this case I want it to be the same height as the regular "Redmeadow" etch, which I already know will fit the spine width well.

You can see below that because letters are different sizes, they can look kind of wonky when typed out. They can be unwonkified (that's a very technical term) with the program, spacing adjusted, and so on. You'll see also that I made the "of" a little smaller and float in between the 1 and 2. I also had to use a different font for the J since the wonky J hangs further below than where I want it.
    20201215_161506-01.jpeg

14. Ron L

Mar 23, 1999
    The Unwonky looks great. I like the spacing of the letters and the smaller “of”

15. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    The most boring video in the world has just been made and is uploading as we speak. 11 minutes on how to make stencils. @Ron L you better watch all 11 painful minutes without falling asleep!!!:D

Seriously though if anyone has any questions let me know. I'll revive the etching thread and post in there as well.

16. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010

Ron L likes this.
  17. Ron L

Mar 23, 1999
    Thx John. It wasn’t painful at all. Interesting to see what kind of detail work goes into it.

18. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    20201217_175705-01.jpeg

19. Ron L

Mar 23, 1999
    8F377302-DA82-4A91-8D42-398EE041F3D1.jpeg

Crazy Canuck and Rupestris like this.
  20. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    For the Cowbells I start by sketching out the pieces I need. It only takes a minute but I dont have to sort through pieces to see what's already been cut. I use ugly or scarred leather for the welts since they won't be visible.

Then I cut a strap a little wider than the sheath pieces. That let's me cut comfortably without having to flip around a large side/slab of leather. You can see a fresh strap at the bottom, and the waste at the top of the photo. You can also see the stencil I use to cut them out.

Once I get everything cut, I'll match them up, and pencil them R and D on the inside in this case so I know which knife they are for.

20201219_092229-01.jpeg