A Tale of Twin Cowbells

I love it when a plan comes together.
20201202_191722-01.jpeg
nw7y7YU.gif

My apologies for the lack of updates in here, handles are finished and I'll be starting on sheaths soon.

I'll post his knife over there later, we'll need to bust his balls a bit, he's on the forum.

Here's a shot of the twins, making stencils and etching is next, any last minute requests Ron?
View attachment 1471207

Dayum!

I need to say your timing on this post is impeccable. Today had been completely 2020’d until I saw this. Looking forward to seeing the stencils; I’m interested to see how the etch process works.

Glad to hear that Ron, hope today is better for you. I've tried to make a video of the stencil process before, it's just a pain because I have to use a darkroom. If you're interested though I'll lay it out from start to finish at least with pics if I can't get a good video.

Glad to hear that Ron, hope today is better for you. I've tried to make a video of the stencil process before, it's just a pain because I have to use a darkroom. If you're interested though I'll lay it out from start to finish at least with pics if I can't get a good video.

As long as it doesn’t take away from cowbells or Harry.

Not the most interesting stuff but here's a run down of how I make stencils.

I use a free program called Inkscape. It's nice because you can tweak just about everything you want. Height, width, spacing, font, thickness, etc... You can make it as tall as you need to taylor it to a knifes spine thickness or ricasso area.

In this case I want it to be the same height as the regular "Redmeadow" etch, which I already know will fit the spine width well.

You can see below that because letters are different sizes, they can look kind of wonky when typed out. They can be unwonkified (that's a very technical term) with the program, spacing adjusted, and so on. You'll see also that I made the "of" a little smaller and float in between the 1 and 2. I also had to use a different font for the J since the wonky J hangs further below than where I want it.
20201215_161506-01.jpeg

Not the most interesting stuff but here's a run down of how I make stencils.

I use a free program called Inkscape. It's nice because you can tweak just about everything you want. Height, width, spacing, font, thickness, etc... You can make it as tall as you need to taylor it to a knifes spine thickness or ricasso area.

In this case I want it to be the same height as the regular "Redmeadow" etch, which I already know will fit the spine width well.

You can see below that because letters are different sizes, they can look kind of wonky when typed out. They can be unwonkified (that's a very technical term) with the program, spacing adjusted, and so on. You'll see also that I made the "of" a little smaller and float in between the 1 and 2. I also had to use a different font for the J since the wonky J hangs further below than where I want it.
View attachment 1474409

The Unwonky looks great. I like the spacing of the letters and the smaller “of”

The most boring video in the world has just been made and is uploading as we speak. 11 minutes on how to make stencils. Ron L Ron L you better watch all 11 painful minutes without falling asleep!!!:D

Seriously though if anyone has any questions let me know. I'll revive the etching thread and post in there as well.

For the Cowbells I start by sketching out the pieces I need. It only takes a minute but I dont have to sort through pieces to see what's already been cut. I use ugly or scarred leather for the welts since they won't be visible.

Then I cut a strap a little wider than the sheath pieces. That let's me cut comfortably without having to flip around a large side/slab of leather. You can see a fresh strap at the bottom, and the waste at the top of the photo. You can also see the stencil I use to cut them out.

Once I get everything cut, I'll match them up, and pencil them R and D on the inside in this case so I know which knife they are for.

20201219_092229-01.jpeg

Back