Photos A Walk in Nature

Time to start looking for antler sheds ~
Yeah 👍, very cool 😎 Ray !
I’ll keep my eyes peeled too.
I’ve never found any, maybe this year is my lucky one 🍀🤞

Que tengas una buena noche, amigo mío. :thumbsup:

Gracias mi amigo !
I was just teasing ya about the spelling 😎

As a side note, I have always struggled a bit with reading comprehension in English.
Sometimes it has even been a bit embarrassing.
Sometimes writing down a post takes me ages.

Interacting with folks on the Porch over the past few years has helped me a great deal in improving my written communication skills… or so I hope 😅 lol

Buenas noches 🌙😊

Yeah 👍, very cool 😎 Ray !
I’ll keep my eyes peeled too.
I’ve never found any, maybe this year is my lucky one 🍀🤞

Gracias mi amigo !
I was just teasing ya about the spelling 😎

As a side note, I have always struggled a bit with reading comprehension in English.
Sometimes it has even been a bit embarrassing.
Sometimes writing down a post takes me ages.

Interacting with folks on the Porch over the past few years has helped me a great deal in improving my written communication skills… or so I hope 😅 lol

Buenas noches 🌙😊
You do jes fine with English, Dan. Must be living in Canada!

Your written English is better than many native speakers, Dan. I don’t think anyone reading it could tell that it is a second language for you.

I spoke almost exclusively French for a period of 5 years, but I don’t think I could write it anywhere near as well as you write in English. Of course it doesn’t help that it was 30 years ago, and I have had almost no occasion to use French since those days.

It doesn't show :thumbsup::)
Gracias Mike !

You do jes fine with English, Dan. Must be living in Canada!
:thumbsup: 😊
Thanks Vince!
Your written English is better than many native speakers, Dan. I don’t think anyone reading it could tell that it is a second language for you.

I spoke almost exclusively French for a period of 5 years, but I don’t think I could write it anywhere near as well as you write in English. Of course it doesn’t help that it was 30 years ago, and I have had almost no occasion to use French since those days.

Gracias Tomás :)
I did not know you spoke French mi amigo:thumbsup:
Here, in the area where we live being French/English bilingual is a huge asset when it comes to employment.
Imagine the possibilities for your "Green Heron" on the Rideau Canal and Ontario waterways 😊

Alright folks, in an attempt to atone for my recent transgression of forgetting to bring a knife on my nature outing I tried my best to make up for it yesterday evening.
I brought along my heavyweight Buck 110 :thumbsup: :cool:

With every stride, as I skied through the forest, its weight on my pocket reminded me of my wrongdoing.
It also helped me in developing resilience in the face of adversity, increase my pain tolerance and develop strength of character :D
Today I shall bring along my Victorinox Cadet and I get the feeling I'll be a human rocket flying through those forests :p😁

IBO0ypU.jpg

OZFf4ow.jpg

xmxRMrd.jpg

IcbBrPs.jpg

mTa8FWR.jpg

AE1PRYN.jpg

Your BUCK is bucking you up. You could produce an add for Buck Knives:

Staying Fit in the almost Great White North with Buck Knives - one Argetinian/Canadian's grueling but rewarding adventure in the wilds of Canadian groomed trails with a Buck Knife ever at the ready.

A bit long on the words but with some rewrite could be a winner. The sentiment is real and passionate. ;):D (Oh yeah and it could be tri-lingual :thumbsup:)

A pic from yesterday's daily walk. We live in the sticks & the dogs take us for a daily walk back the road we live on. This is a gap that cuts through the ridge behind our house.
We still have snow on the North facing sides of the road-
Image.jpg
But not so much on the South facing side-
Image 1.jpg
The pics are from the same spot, just different sides of the road.

And some knife content. Today's carry.
Image.jpg

Having fun this afternoon with the ChatGpt artificial intelligence website.

I asked chatgpt to write a story about this picture I posted on this thread a while ago just for fun

M2f1TWf.jpg

Question to ChatGpt:

Write a short story of how I narrowly escaped a hungry Sasquatch chasing me through the woods and how I managed to get away on my kick sled. Tell the reader how I defended myself with my trusty GEC Viper pocket knife.

Chatgpt answered:

“In the heart of the dense, snow-laden forest, I found myself pursued by a hungry Sasquatch, its primal roars echoing through the trees like thunder. With adrenaline coursing through my veins, I sprinted as fast as I could, the beast's heavy footsteps closing in behind me.

As I dashed through the frosty underbrush, I reached for my kick sled, hastily assembling it with trembling hands. With a swift kick, I propelled myself forward, the sled gliding over the snow-covered ground with surprising speed. But the Sasquatch was relentless, its massive form gaining on me with each passing moment.

Desperation drove me to grab my trusty GEC Viper pocket knife from my belt, its sharp blade gleaming in the dappled sunlight filtering through the trees. With a quick flick of my wrist, I brandished the knife, ready to defend myself against the oncoming beast.

As the Sasquatch closed the distance, I maneuvered the kick sled with precision, weaving through the trees in a frantic bid for escape. With a guttural growl, the creature lunged towards me, its massive claws outstretched.

In a split-second decision, I dodged to the side, narrowly avoiding the creature's grasp. With a surge of determination, I lunged forward, driving the blade of my knife into the Sasquatch's side with all the strength I could muster.

The creature let out a deafening howl of pain, stumbling backward in surprise. Seizing the opportunity, I kicked the sled into high gear, hurtling away from the wounded beast as fast as I could.

Behind me, the Sasquatch roared in frustration, but I was already disappearing into the depths of the forest, my heart pounding in my chest with the exhilaration of my narrow escape. As I raced towards safety, I knew that my trusty pocket knife had been my saving grace in the face of danger, a reminder of the importance of always being prepared in the wilderness.”

Screenshot of my interaction with the story writter bot 😅
VUvidxm.jpg

Your BUCK is bucking you up. You could produce an add for Buck Knives:

Staying Fit in the almost Great White North with Buck Knives - one Argetinian/Canadian's grueling but rewarding adventure in the wilds of Canadian groomed trails with a Buck Knife ever at the ready.

A bit long on the words but with some rewrite could be a winner. The sentiment is real and passionate. ;):D (Oh yeah and it could be tri-lingual :thumbsup:)
Thanks for the chuckle hermano 👍😊

A pic from yesterday's daily walk.
The winter scenery looks similar to how things look in my neck of the woods now.
The past couple of days were above freezing and with some rain which melted a lot of the snow.
No more xc ski 🎿 for a while.

I am happy to report that our chickadee friends were delighted with my new Verijero 😎
oqzcjad.jpg

fry6HXI.jpg

TogzybS.jpeg

0uUJIxC.jpeg

pyyquna.jpeg

zNc2gC8.jpeg

Have a wonderful day and a nice weekend folks !
Happy trails 😊

Having fun this afternoon with the ChatGpt artificial intelligence website.

I asked chatgpt to write a story about this picture I posted on this thread a while ago just for fun

M2f1TWf.jpg

Question to ChatGpt:

Write a short story of how I narrowly escaped a hungry Sasquatch chasing me through the woods and how I managed to get away on my kick sled. Tell the reader how I defended myself with my trusty GEC Viper pocket knife.

Chatgpt answered:

“In the heart of the dense, snow-laden forest, I found myself pursued by a hungry Sasquatch, its primal roars echoing through the trees like thunder. With adrenaline coursing through my veins, I sprinted as fast as I could, the beast's heavy footsteps closing in behind me.

As I dashed through the frosty underbrush, I reached for my kick sled, hastily assembling it with trembling hands. With a swift kick, I propelled myself forward, the sled gliding over the snow-covered ground with surprising speed. But the Sasquatch was relentless, its massive form gaining on me with each passing moment.

Desperation drove me to grab my trusty GEC Viper pocket knife from my belt, its sharp blade gleaming in the dappled sunlight filtering through the trees. With a quick flick of my wrist, I brandished the knife, ready to defend myself against the oncoming beast.

As the Sasquatch closed the distance, I maneuvered the kick sled with precision, weaving through the trees in a frantic bid for escape. With a guttural growl, the creature lunged towards me, its massive claws outstretched.

In a split-second decision, I dodged to the side, narrowly avoiding the creature's grasp. With a surge of determination, I lunged forward, driving the blade of my knife into the Sasquatch's side with all the strength I could muster.

The creature let out a deafening howl of pain, stumbling backward in surprise. Seizing the opportunity, I kicked the sled into high gear, hurtling away from the wounded beast as fast as I could.

Behind me, the Sasquatch roared in frustration, but I was already disappearing into the depths of the forest, my heart pounding in my chest with the exhilaration of my narrow escape. As I raced towards safety, I knew that my trusty pocket knife had been my saving grace in the face of danger, a reminder of the importance of always being prepared in the wilderness.”

Screenshot of my interaction with the story writter bot 😅
VUvidxm.jpg
Ha Ha Ha!
I was on pins and needles, Dan. I'm just really happy you were able to assemble your kick sled so quickly. Who made the belt sheath for your Viper?
This response might have been more exciting if I had had ChatGPT write it.
Thanks for this morning's entertainment. :thumbsup: My goose bumps are finally dissipating. ;)

Some pictures from my weekend perambulations:

Snow drops in the woods near a creek:
ox0olIp.jpeg

You will have to take my word for it that this is a pileated woodpecker:
kAxP5sI.jpeg

(You will also have to trust, without evidence, that I saw a downy woodpecker as well, and some other woodpeckers I couldn’t immediately identify.)

I left some walking sticks at a park trails sign, hoping folks will take and use them:
Gr1JTaM.jpeg

gAUipZK.jpeg

vRYevwJ.jpeg

Woods are full of deadfall and widowmakers:
Cd8ypMZ.jpeg

ox0olIp.jpeg

You will have to take my word for it that this is a pileated woodpecker:
kAxP5sI.jpeg

(You will also have to trust, without evidence, that I saw a downy woodpecker as well, and some other woodpeckers I couldn’t immediately identify.)

I left some walking sticks at a park trails sign, hoping folks will take and use them:
Gr1JTaM.jpeg

gAUipZK.jpeg

vRYevwJ.jpeg

Woods are full of deadfall and widowmakers:
Cd8ypMZ.jpeg
Looks like a good day to be out and about. Ref: "I left some walking sticks at a park trails sign, hoping folks will take and use them:"... Nice gesture Tom.

You guys have gotten a bit ahead of me here. But in my defense, I've been a bit busy lately.
I did get out for a spot of urban hiking today though.

Can you say "Gnarl"?
20240225_144835-DDS.jpg

This is one of the projects that has been consuming my time of late. Estwing
20240201_132235-DDS.jpg

Forged on 5/20/1942.
20240203_152242-DDS.jpg

More Gnarl...
20240225_144757-DDS.jpg

Sticky situation.
20240212_090628-DDS.jpg

It's coming along though.
20240224_123821-DDS.jpg

I think the (original) brass butt plate really sets it off.
20240224_123842-C-DDS.jpg

71 degrees F and quite sunny. First butterfly sighting of the year. February 25, 2024
20240225_152003-C-DDS.jpg

The Redbone Buck 303 was in my pocket at the time I snapped this shot. The Shoe Goo reinforced tip is working out very well on the walking stick called Walker.
I ended up putting a leash on this stick so I can just let it dangle while taking photographs. It doubles as a safety in case I get to daydreaming and lose my grip.
20240225_153618-E-E14-DDS.jpg

Last edited:
Can you say "Gnarl"?
Gnarly, dude… :cool:
The Shoe Goo reinforced tip is working out very well on the walking stick called Walker.
I may have to try that method. I have some other ideas in mind for reinforcing the tips, but I have been so busy lately that I haven’t had time to go to nosing around hardware stores looking for stuff.
Beautiful job on the hatchet handle!!!!!

I couldn’t resist liberating this interesting bit from a fallen beech branch yesterday:
HXEu926.jpeg

Another project I don’t have time for, I guess…

You guys have gotten a bit ahead of me here. But in my defense, I've been a bit busy lately.
I did get out for a spot of urban hiking today though.

Can you say "Gnarl"?
View attachment 2510770

View attachment 2510764

Forged on 5/20/1942.
View attachment 2510765

More Gnarl...
View attachment 2510769

Sticky situation.
View attachment 2510766

It's coming along though.
View attachment 2510767

View attachment 2510768

71 degrees F and quite sunny. First butterfly sighting of the year.
View attachment 2510771

The Redbone Buck 303 was in my pocket at the time I snapped this shot. The Shoe Goo reinforced tip is working out very well on the walking stick called Walker.
I ended up putting a leash on this stick so I can just let it dangle while taking photographs. It doubles as a safety in case I get to daydreaming and lose my grip.
View attachment 2510772
Very nice job on the hatchet my friend .

Harry

I'm not sure what's more impressive, the knife or your photography!
The knife for sure !!! :thumbsup: :cool:
Thank you :)

Those are spectacular Dan!
Gracias amigo :) !

Stunning photos Dan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Mike :)
I'll pass the compliment too to our little chickadee friends :cool:

Ha Ha Ha!
I was on pins and needles, Dan. I'm just really happy you were able to assemble your kick sled so quickly. Who made the belt sheath for your Viper?
This response might have been more exciting if I had had ChatGPT write it.
Thanks for this morning's entertainment. :thumbsup: My goose bumps are finally dissipating. ;)
LOL, Thanks James :)
We are working together with chatgpt on the release of our second story which promises to be an even more exciting edventure 😁
Stay tuned !!! 😊

Wow, flowers blooming, woodpeckers "pecking", skunk cabbage "blooming ?"
Must be nice ! 😊 :thumbsup::cool:

Great job on that handle Frank !!!
Very nice ! :thumbsup:

One project that I hope to tackle before spring/summer and the boating season starts is putting a handle on a couple of knife blade blanks.

One idea is making it out of birch bark like the Puukko that Ray made me or using stacked leather as in Frank's hatchet.
To add a personal touch I am thinking of making a "micarta" spacer out of some parachute cloth I have from my days in the Argentine army some 34 years ago.

We shall see, "Serena" needs some work as well before the boating season starts.
If I don't check in too often on as we get closer to spring I am outside working on Serena LOL :D

The parachute cloth in question
k6CX9rU.jpg

The homemade parachute cloth micarta should pair well with birch bark me thinks.
♻️pic😊, I wish things were this green now!
jJWBYAb.jpg

Last edited:
Back