Aces and Eights

You may be right John, I fooled around with making the end width the same as the ricasso width, I left a lot of material at the end to play around with.

I've still gotta slim things down at the front end and make a template to get things symmetrical. Then I can measure pins, I'll drill them in this center piece and then drill the outer pieces.

You may be right John, I fooled around with making the end width the same as the ricasso width, I left a lot of material at the end to play around with.

I've still gotta slim things down at the front end and make a template to get things symmetrical. Then I can measure pins, I'll drill them in this center piece and then drill the outer pieces.

A bit of an optical illusion I guess...looks wider than the ricasso, and a bit too "blocky" IMO. But still bad-ass!

The crux of Work In Progress threads are that they're works in progress lol. I do try to dress up the ugly stages as best I can though. Gotta trust your mangler:p

You're right, the end is wider than the ricasso at the moment, it was one of many ideas I'm fooling around with, I should have phrased my comment above better. The end will most likely be curved as well, I doubt there will be a straight line left after it's done.

Did I see a hardness testing dimple in the wrought iron piece? If so, what it test at?
Since everything's symmetrical it's just a reference point so I can line them up the same every time, the dots go to the top rear. I think I picked that up from David Lisch. For the hell of it though I tested a piece of the wrought iron, it registers like mild steel.... in the negatives:eek:

Dammit John!!!
These won't be the last, I'm enjoying this style way too much.

Since everything's symmetrical it's just a reference point so I can line them up the same every time, the dots go to the top rear. I think I picked that up from David Lisch. For the hell of it though I tested a piece of the wrought iron, it registers like mild steel.... in the negatives:eek:

Lol. Negatives? :eek:

These won't be the last, I'm enjoying this style way too much.
Good to hear! :thumbsup:

To update things on this, Heat Treat is complete, our guard is ready and ferrule etched. I'm cleaning things up and handsanding will be next.

Throw out any etching ideas if you have them. As of now I'm thinking a full suit down the spine (looking for a classic or old time suit) and a simple Redmeadow on the presentation side.

To update things on this, Heat Treat is complete, our guard is ready and ferrule etched. I'm cleaning things up and handsanding will be next.

Throw out any etching ideas if you have them. As of now I'm thinking a full suit down the spine (looking for a classic or old time suit) and a simple Redmeadow on the presentation side.

Thanks for the update John, was wondering the status. Just curious, you had previously shown 3 blades of different lengths...are you only working on the one right now, or all 3 at the same time?

Last edited:
The largest is the only one through heat treat so far, the other two aren't ground yet. I have the swedge ground on the smallest one, I still need to grind the flats.

Back