Allagash cruiser, anyone use/have one?

Emerson & Stevens page showing a "Page Pattern Wedge", "Wide Wedge", and two "Maine Pattern" heads along the bottom row. I traced the two "Maines" digitally and overlaid them. This comes from a set of pages that seem to date themselves to 1957, so they are pretty late-period.

53518717_10217998148053723_6088038119704100864_n.jpg

53264577_10217998148453733_9193909806744731648_n.jpg

A seemingly integral feature of Wedge patterns it the topline is FLAT. It kind of looks like yours rises slightly near the toe?

It does rise. This is why I ruled out even a misshapen wedge. At the same time however it does appear altogether too wide to be a typical Maine pattern. I guess i really don't know what it is!

A lot of Maine-made axes have a more wedge-like form to them when viewed from above than the same pattern from other manufacturers, so that shouldn't be the chief factor examined in determining if it's a Wedge or not. That S&N almost looks like the "Delaware" pattern in the Sager patterns page.

Wedge, Half-Wedge, and Maine patterns are less common here than you might expect, because they got used up. The ones you see are usually heavily worn and/or beaten up.

Nah. The Maine ethic is to buy something once and then squeeze every last penny out of it. We generally don't buy something unless we're gonna' use it, and then we use it up. :p So there's lots of axes around, but most commonly you find them in a heavily used state. There's NOS ones out there, but they're not all over the place like some might expect.

We finally got our hands on some of them and the smaller Dirigo belt hatchets and can confirm that they're truly excellent axes.

Back