Alone Season 2

Hey, good to see David McIntyre on there, one of us! This will be a great season, really looking forward to it.

Let it be on record that I think Justin Vititoe will win it all despite him being the only one not bringing a fixed blade knife.

Let it be on record that I think Justin Vititoe will win it all despite him being the only one not bringing a fixed blade knife.

After an axe and a multitool, a fixed blade is really redundant IMO.

I've come to hate survival shows but I'll check it out to see Pict.

Or any fish line, hooks or gill net. He is bringing extra food. Maybe he's a calorie counter and figures on stretching out his food till its gone. Or he's going to make traps. Should be interesting

I checked a link from a blog discussing last season. In addition to the ten chosen items and excluding camera gear they all have the following. I did not compile the list below but copied it for viewing. It took me a few seconds to realize a toboggan is what I call a toque!

1 canister wild animal repellant
1 air horn
1 backpack
1 emergency flare
1 satellite phone
1 emergency personal flotation device
1 first aid kit (military type – tourniquet, wadding, ace bandage, alcohol, plastic bag, etc)
1 small mirror
1 20×20 canvas tarp
1 10×10 canvas tarp for camera gear
1 head lamp
1 gps tracking device
1 emergency rations pack to include water and food
1 woolen sweater
1 pair of gloves
1 trapper’s hat with ear protection or toboggan
1 pair high leg Hunting boots
2 pairs of Outdoor Pants (can unzip into shorts)
1 t-shirt
2 fleece or wool shirts (a hooded fleece is approved)
3 pairs wool socks
1 hat (brimmed, wool or baseball)
1 bandana or shemagh
1 pair gloves
1 light outdoor jacket
2 pairs underwear
1 rain jacket and rain trousers
1 thermal underwear (long)
1 pair of gaiters
1 pair of Crocs, Teva sandals or Keen sandals
1 toothbrush
1 pair of prescription eye glasses
1 personal photograph

I'm surprised anyone here remembers me. It's been a long time since I posted here at Bladeforums. Life got crazy for a while. I no longer live in Brazil. I dropped off the internet for a long time.

Then life got really crazy and I ended up on Vancouver Island. Due to the non-disclosure I signed I can't answer questions. There will be a casting special this Thursday (9 eastern, 8 central) that shows the process we went through to get on the show. The whole thing was a blast from start to finish. It should be a good season.

BTW - The show is as real as it gets. Based on my experience as one of the ten contestants... alone, self-shot, no outside help or advice, no resupply, no script. The show is what they say it is. Alone is as close to long term survival as military training exercises are to actual combat. It was life on the ragged edge and I'm fired up to watch it.

Cool. Looking forward to watching it. Good luck:) or is it over already? Or did you bail? I'm confused

The way these shows work, they are run, shot, wrapped and edited long before they go to air. as far as when they were actually out in the field, my guess is that it was last fall, maybe Pict can say, but maybe not.

Marlyscanoe, I suspect that was a typo on the part of whoever compiled the list. spell-checker error?

Once its all aired and the NDA expires, I'm sure we'd all love to hear a few of the tales that didn't make it to tape!

I didn't compare our 40 item list with the one they published last year, it looked the same to me. They took it down from the history website. I don't recall any surprises when I saw the list we had to choose our items from. My guess is that the list was written by someone who spoke the Kings English. The survival consultants that worked on the show were all from across the pond, even though one now resides in Canada. They were also top notch, very professional, and great guys. Differences in spelling and word choice are just local colour.

The show was shot in the same area as last year but with different locations. I'm going to hold off on any deeper comments until aftetr the casting special airs. IIRC I applied for the show last March so this has been a year-long process for me from application to air date.

I'm sure the casting special will outline the rules and restrictions to a greater degree. Legally this s a very difficult show to pull off. Most of the food gathering techniques we train to use are banned as poaching in most locations. Long term survival here in Michigan would land me in jail.

I'm surprised anyone here remembers me. It's been a long time since I posted here at Bladeforums. Life got crazy for a while. I no longer live in Brazil. I dropped off the internet for a long time.

Then life got really crazy and I ended up on Vancouver Island. Due to the non-disclosure I signed I can't answer questions. There will be a casting special this Thursday (9 eastern, 8 central) that shows the process we went through to get on the show. The whole thing was a blast from start to finish. It should be a good season.

BTW - The show is as real as it gets. Based on my experience as one of the ten contestants... alone, self-shot, no outside help or advice, no resupply, no script. The show is what they say it is. Alone is as close to long term survival as military training exercises are to actual combat. It was life on the ragged edge and I'm fired up to watch it.

Thank you for the post. I now see a glimmer of enthusiasm for this show, as opposed to the rest of the disengaging garbage on television.

I didn't compare our 40 item list with the one they published last year, it looked the same to me. They took it down from the history website. I don't recall any surprises when I saw the list we had to choose our items from. My guess is that the list was written by someone who spoke the Kings English. The survival consultants that worked on the show were all from across the pond, even though one now resides in Canada. They were also top notch, very professional, and great guys. Differences in spelling and word choice are just local colour.

The show was shot in the same area as last year but with different locations. I'm going to hold off on any deeper comments until aftetr the casting special airs. IIRC I applied for the show last March so this has been a year-long process for me from application to air date.

I'm sure the casting special will outline the rules and restrictions to a greater degree. Legally this s a very difficult show to pull off. Most of the food gathering techniques we train to use are banned as poaching in most locations. Long term survival here in Michigan would land me in jail.

It sounds like the same crew that did one of the northern gold mining shows. The programs that are made well, with a modicum of rationality to them, seem to last.

im excited to see the new season.
i even had my wife watching(and enjoying) last season

Were any Canadians contestants for the show ?

Last years show was interesting , the winner had a crappy shelter while the 2nd last guy , Lucas ? had a palace in comparison with a ukulele to play in it and a boat to gather supplies . Rather disappointed he didn't stick it out a bit longer as his woods craft skills were impressive.

My guess is that the list was written by someone who spoke the Kings English. The survival consultants that worked on the show were all from across the pond, even though one now resides in Canada.

Not saying that you are wrong, but if you are going by spelling alone it is likely that these people were actually Canadian. Canadians use the Queen's English, and due to the isolation of many areas there is less linguistic/written change than in England. This is notable in that the predominant speakers of Gaelic left in the world reside in Nova Scotia, and traditional French speakers will be found more in New Brunswick than Quebec or France.

Newfie-speak is probably closer to the King's English than most of what you would hear in England today. And perhaps some of us take it too far in our harbours, in that we overdetermine the use of 's' and 'u' because computer programs try and edit our language.

We also tend to use non-metric in our isolated areas.

Come on pict tell us who won:) Can someone check and see who bought a new car or something lol

For those of you in Canada it looks like they are putting the drop-off scenes on youtube:
[video=youtube;wtveq_fAsZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtveq_fAsZU[/video]

Newfie-speak is probably closer to the King's English than most of what you would hear in England today. .

Sorry to go off topic, but I find your observations to be quite interesting. Newfies get a bit of a rap in Canada because they are a little transient and seek better opportunities for employment throughout the country. I have always found Newfs, in general, to be dynamic, friendly, spontaneous, entertaining, and intelligent. They stand out obviously with their language use and affability, just don't get them drunk or teeth will be lost, lol. As a group, Newfs are colourful and enjoy life, as opposed to many of us WASPs up here.

Back