Alone Season 2

I'm guessing that it'd be pretty hard to prove that someone was hallucinating because of too much salt water intake. And generally people do not carry papers around with them to prove such things.

I will say this, if you have never had your head handed to you in the bush, you didn't go in deep enough or stay long enough. It can break anyone.

It doesn't always take going too deep or long...
My last outing, nothing earthshattering occurred...certainly nothing that would have counted as a tap-out situation.
But although it was a good time, things did not go entirely according to plan.
It wasn't even that strenuous a day by many measures, but things added up to make it so certain things that had been planned were no longer feasible.

I knew the spot.
For a change, it wasn't too wet even.
Nothing that would have told me beforehand that I would have to change the itinerary.
Life imposes its own agenda at times. :)

Mary Kate - continues to lose morale to me. When she talks about her daughters she is sounding very homesick. Then she injured herself with the axe at the end. I was cringing watching her as I recalled a fellow Scout leader who injured himself in a similar fashion. All those things will just start to build on her and break her down.

Randy - strikes me as getting sloppy due to fatigue & lack of food. Thinking he needs to start rigging up some fishing options in addition to his snares. Looks like he is using a Condor Primitive Bush Knife.

Mike - Guy seems to be enjoying himself. Scored big catching those 3 fish in the gill net. Big morale boost for him, plus the calories.

Justin - Didn't really get a feel of him on this episode. Saw he chose a down sleeping bag on his packing list too. Just seems like a bad idea to me. Some guys from my old unit are rooting for him since he served in our brigade.

David - biased, I'm rooting for him.

Last edited:
C.F.O. I'm not sure if you have been debating this on another forum, or what, but it sounds like you are already in the middle of an argument. Slow down, and remember that sarcasm doesn't appear on-screen. When you come in with argue cranked to 11, not many will take what you say seriously, just I'm not going to.

First off, mental weakness? I've mentioned many times that fear is a major component of what I do for a living, I put kids and adults out into situations of fear so that they can help themselves learn to cope, overcome, and flourish. Not every person deals with stress and fear in the same way, and some who have been in high stress/fear environments often don't fully grasp what their coping mechanism was. Unless you know someone, and know what's in their head, you have no business explaining how strong or weak they are. All I know is what I see on TV, and from that I have formed Opinions on why I Think someone may or may not have succeeded in their task, but I will likely never know.

Why attack a person in a personal way to criticize? Criticize decisions, or even skills, but calling someone an idiot doesn't prove you are smarter. Why does a TV show need to show you proof of anything? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, his word is good enough for me. I've heard a thousand excuses for why someone doesn't want to do a thing, and sometimes we just don't have the trust needed for truth.

Would you consider the many members here who have been willing to state that they can't hold candle to what Alan or Sam did last season, or even what Lucas and Mitch, to be "weak of mind"? You are going to say that Lucas to found what he came for, and knew he could have kept going, walked away from the money because it was no longer his goal as "weak of mind?" where Mitch made the choice to spend time with family over the chance at a few bucks? Who then is "strong of mind"? You? and by what yardstick?

Hate on your post? no, I just hope you meant something other than what I read. Your other posts I looked up have been pretty normal, and you haven't been around long, so I will give the benefit of the doubt. Don't take this as me bashing on you personally, take this more of a "that's not how we act around here" At the very least consider I took time to respond directly to your post, many others may not. If you want to add something useful, go right ahead.

I've liked the episode 2 better than the first. Mike did the best so far.
here I took some screens:

11h9jqw.jpg

2r5x7oj.jpg

14o5bf6.jpg

28km51k.jpg

15yt2ci.jpg

173b6w.jpg

Some notes from episode #2;
Both Mike and Justin seem very comfortable so far. Mike seems prepared to have his emotions come to the surface. His Christmas story is heartbreaking. He seems to have become very strong and at peace through it all somehow.
I had noticed some participants did not have their ferro rods tied to a loop you could wear around you neck. Not losing you knife and ferro should be a first priority. Second time someone lost theirs. Friction fire seems doubtful. Randy is in a bit of trouble. That was a big mistake.
I don't understand being any kind of survival authority and not be able to catch a fish. It is a pretty easy skill that most learn as small children. Fishing and swimming are always needed; the world is covered with water.

Mary Kate's injury looks pretty bad she may be leaving next episode. Mors Kochanski always warns about axes and their potential danger.

Pict; you don't look mad to me.

I try to put the best face on things, but man what a bush league error on Mary Kate's part with the hatchet!!!

Agreed.... That's not how you use an ax (more specifically not how you hold the thing that needs splitting!!!:eek:) but then again you aren't supposed to lose your fire starter either. Two guys have already made that mistake.

You know how they have those "injury free day" calenders at some industrial job sites to raise awareness about safety. Even when it's a standardized process, under optimal conditions, something eventually will go wrong.

Tired and cold in a totally non standard environment with the camera running... I won't judge.

There are a lot of ways to mess up and the little things will easily snowball into outright failure.

I'm thinking that's two contestants out of the game.

Mike did well with the fish. I've not seen anyone bury their catch yet so that was interesting. He also found the bull kelp.

Oh man, Mary Kate's injury reminds me so much of when I almost cut my finger off with a bk9 doing something stupid!! If she manages to keep herself together that'll be amazing. I liked this episode. We haven't seen everyone yet thought, that's annoying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm loving this thread but haven't seen the show. So many questions though. Some of the contestants seem to be so ill prepared. What did they do in the months between acceptance and the first day? Did some of them depend on orientation day to teach them the needed skills? Did some of them never have experience of being alone unsupported in the wilderness before? And last but not least, can the show be seen on the web without paying a fee?

You can watch at the History Channel site or on YouTube.

Last year the locked the content for the last couple episodes.

I'm loving this thread but haven't seen the show. So many questions though. Some of the contestants seem to be so ill prepared. What did they do in the months between acceptance and the first day? Did some of them depend on orientation day to teach them the needed skills? Did some of them never have experience of being alone unsupported in the wilderness before? And last but not least, can the show be seen on the web without paying a fee?
I watch it on the history channel website with an ad blocker enabled. They have released the first two episodes quickly so far! :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mary Kate is too manic for me. I question here competency outdoors. I don't see the need for notching the trees for her ridgepole and her ax technique is obviously lacking. With that said, her cut hand is proof that sharp blades are just waiting for the chance to show you when you've made a mistake.

I don't understand why the guy didn't use the dead duck for bait on a trot line.

Looks like two keys for physical survival (as opposed to mental survival) is finding a freshwater source and figuring on getting most of your calories from the ocean.

Seriously? I have yet to be judgmental towards anyone on this show because I applaud their guts to participate in it. Even Desmond and Josh from last year. But what Mary Kate showed right there is inexcusable negligence bordering on downright stupidity. I don't even think you can blame it on fatigue or exhaustion or whatever. Basic, fundamental axe handling 101 (heck, just common sense!) and I know I'll probably catch flak for this but I think Mary Kate should have zero business handling an axe or a hatchet.

Yep, perfect example of what Kochanski says: just the weight of the axe alone is enough to cause serious injury from hand height. Very little force there and she may need serious surgery.

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the white plastic table that Mary Kate has in her shelter. What a beach find! It is a real shame she injured herself Her camp looks squared away and she seems to have made a good start. I was also impressed with Mikes gill net catch. I was surprised they picked up my story on day six. Alot happened that first week but I was feeling good about the situation.

The way the rules are set up, there is very little margin. You have no redundency for your critical gear. I had no idea that Randy lost his ferro rod until last night. Last year Joe was criticised for not attempting to resolve the loss of his ferro rod with primitive firemaking. I have seen firsthand that Randy is very skilled at friction fire and in the teaser he is running a bowdrill. If anyone is capable of getting a friction fire started my money would be on Randy. I'm guessing there is huge lesson there in the difference between wilderness survival (carrying the means to get the job done) and bushcraft/primitive skills (knowing how to coax what you need from nature). Vancouver Island is a very difficult place for friction fire.

We haven't seen Nicole or Jose yet and both of them are very skilled in the bush.

Back