Am I the only 1 who is excited about the firefly?

lazy otter

BANNED
I think the firefly is a really cool looking knife and can't wait to get 1, but I feel like not many are that excited about it! It and the roc and a salt are probably my last buys for the year(or so I say) but the firefly I feel has gone unnoticed ? Is there any reason for this

I am excited, but the new releases that are slated to come out soon all are pretty dang pricey, so I have to pick wisely. Hopefully it doesn't get discontinued too quickly so I can grab one at a regular price.

Not excited about paying $220 for a VG-10 linerlock knife. Costs roughly double what I perceive it's worth.

I like everything about the knife except the blade steel. I am not a big fan of VG-10. I realize that this being built in Japan, it limits the blade steel to be used. I would have one in my pocket right now if it was ZDP-189. I just do not feel that this is the right steel for a premium knife. I know that a higher grade steel would add to the cost of an already expensive knife, however, when this much time and effort has been put into this project with what I consider a midrange steel, I see it as a negative.

I just seem to have a taste for the odd spydercos! I agree the price is high but to me it's just neat will I get 1 yes will it hurt my wallet yep but iz gots to have it...lol

The price is the killer for what you get I agree it's the look of it that got me I do think it should glow it is called the firefly but the look of it is just appealing to me. It's 1 of those you either like it or don't knives like the leaf storm I got 1 and love it but I know alot that hate it.

I like it at around 120-140$. No way I am paying that much for this particular knife.

If it were a sprint run Titanium Dodo... I would gladly pay this price plus some.

To each their own.

Can't wait to get my hands on a Roc.

I respect spyderco's loyalty to the manufacturers they work with, but the prices on these Japanese knives this year are nothing short of outrageous. I always try to get the most for my dollar... Compare the firefly to the new farid. Two different styles for sure but the value on the farid blows the firefly away in every respect. To each their own I suppose.

I agree the price is ridiculous. I'm gonna try and resist buying 1 since I don't see them being a big seller and the price drops and then snagging 1. Or well that's the plan!

Looks like a cool knife. First time hearing about it. If it wasntfor the colors i would be all over that.

I'd like to add just so I'm not only nitpicking. .. spyderco has a lot of cool designs this year, this knife included. Those prices though...

Compare the firefly to the new farid. Two different styles for sure but the value on the farid blows the firefly away in every respect. To each their own I suppose.

Only if you care about blade steel and size versus handle feel and portability/caryablility (laws). Spyderco has recently put out a bunch of designs with smooth but contoured handles (Vallotton, Hungarian, Slysz, Firefly), and these tend to be more expensive, on the balance, when you compare them to other non-contoured designs. Many people have been clamoring for smooth handles, and you cant just slap on two slabs and call it a day (K2) every time. Not everyone is going to think these designs are worth it, but calling the pricing "outrageous" is a bit naive. As is just calling out a few stats "sub 3 inch linerlock" as though they describe the knife. If that was accurate would anyone buy a small Sebenza, or any custom for that matter? The cost is there, it just didn't go towards something you (in general, not you specifically) value.

I'm not arguing with you in particular, I just wanted to point out that calling the K2 a better value than the Firefly is merely displaying a bias for blade steel and size. You may be in the majority with that bias, but that doesn't make the pricing on the Firefly wrong. As you said, to each their own. I'm glad Spyderco keeps pushing out these new designs. If "value" was the priority all we'd see was peel=ply Millies/PM2s/Manii with new blade steels (which might be quite alright with some people).

Back