Am I the only 1 who is excited about the firefly?

So you folks are saying the custom collaboration knives should kick up a notch. Super steels and high dollar fixtures to go along with the extra cost of paying the outside designer a royalty.

Only $194.70 plus the cost to have Sketchen burn those hideous scales and put something classy on. It's gonna end up in the $320 range! I shudder to think...

I had the same thought. Though now Steve gets figured into every knife I consider buying. If I can't afford the combine costs, I reconsider. :p

I actually dont mind VG-10 and I like the looks of the knife. But I can spend $200 in a knife I like better. Unfortunately my funds are not unlimited and some choices need to be made.

I love Spyderco collaborations. I like the Firefly's design and aesthetic as well. Unfortunately it is just overpriced in my opinion.

^^^ x2!

If the blade steel was almost anything other then VG10, I'd be all over this. But it's not, and at that price point.......ya. Shame, since it's a really cool looking little sharp.

The Firefly, to me, should cost half of what it does for the materials involved. That's my entire opinion on the Firefly.

The Firefly, to me, should cost half of what it does for the materials involved. That's my entire opinion on the Firefly.

That's my thoughts on the Positron also. I like it, fit/finish very nice, but function and materials just don't live up to the price. Personally I think the positron should be priced well under the zt0450. Although I have not purchased one yet, based on specs, I really feel it'll be very similar.

Add: My PM2 is my smoothest flipping Spyder, including those with ball bearing pivots.....and with a street price around a C Note. And that is with absolutely no blade play whatsoever. Many other brands with similar pivot may have to deal with a wee bit if side to side play to keep the blade free floating. But my pm is just rock solid. Add a flipper tab and CF to that baby, and I'd have my absolute perfect do-all knife. So yeah, thinking the Firefly/Positron releases are basing prices on Spyderco's great rep, and not on the competitive material or knife category.

Last edited:
That's my thoughts on the Positron also. I like it, fit/finish very nice, but function and materials just don't live up to the price. Personally I think the positron should be priced well under the zt0450. Although I have not purchased one yet, based on specs, I really feel it'll be very similar.

I strongly agree. With the materials involved, the Sage 1 is a far better value than the Positron, and it's a big reason why I own the former and not the latter. I guess if you really like flippers and ball bearings are important to you (in my experience they don't do anything phosphor bronze bushings won't), they're cool for the people who are willing to pay for them.

Back