Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

I really like that Native 5, I'll have to get one someday.

Pics of the TUFF, please!

That is all I needed to read...A+ Sal!
After all those Lum Chinese folders, it is probably high time for the tanto to see a sprint run. The G10 has a rougher pattern than the usual foliage green G10 handles. I’m not sure if that was just for the prototype or whether this pattern will be used for production. The tanto tip is something to behold, many different facts. Tough to shoot, I feel lucky I got that shot of the tip. How about making a sprint run of the fixed blade Lum Tanto Sal? Perhaps with a red G10 handle? That one is definitely missing in my collection.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_lumtanto.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_lumtanto_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_lumtanto_clip.jpg

Excellent news! Planning now for a Szabo and a Lum.

Thanks for the reviews and pics I yearly look forward to your show report Mr. Blonde.

I think the Lum Tanto deserves some Aogami Super Blue steel, or even some of that awesome Cobalt Special... :D
What'ya say Sal?

Thanks for the images !!!
That Des horn, man, that looks too nice!
G2

Ecstatic to see the ayoob is a reality! What a great company to listen to feedback from a bunch of psychos on an internet forum and follow through.

/Yes. You are.
// we all are :)

Only Spyderco would put something like that Szabo into production..... mind-blowing stuff!!!

Thanks for posting!

I really like the SS Balance and the H1 Dragonfly. The thinness of the SS version would make that the perfect watch pocket knife. Really hope Spyderco comes out with a SE Dragonfly 2 in H1.

I also liked the Des Horn and the lightweight Manix more than I expected to. 2011 is going to be a pricey year!

And while not sure I'll be snagging one, the fluted titanium on the Native is jaw dropping!

Great photography as always Wouter!

Amazing how different two "fluted ti" knives can look. Military is understated and rather attractive, Native looks like something a pimp would carry.

Only Spyderco would put something like that Szabo into production..... mind-blowing stuff!!!
You're seeing photos of it posted with Spyderco's permission. That pretty much means that, unless the Yellowstone super volcano blows, it's going to be produced.

CF Chaparral & G10 Native 5 are on my Christmas list! :thumbup:

This model is on a fast track to production. The concept model was only unveiled last year, and this year it’s a production prototype. It’s been my experience that most knives take about a year or two at least in the concept stage, before they become a production prototype. Dialex designed the knife to be the perfect knife for a new knife user. That explains the huge cutout in the handle, to provide a safe grip. I think a lot of knife users will appreciate that feature, not just newbies. The wide leaf shape blade looks like a nice slicer. This could be a nice camp folder.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_junior.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_junior_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_junior_closed.jpg

The Navaja is finally gearing up for production. This knife was among the first batch of ethnic designs that Ed made for Spyderco. Finally a maker was found who could do the ‘ratcheting’ of the opening action justice. Like an authentic Navaja, this blade makes a ratcheting-type sound when it’s opened. Supposedly it warned people that ‘trouble’ was coming. For those looking to complete their collection of Spyderco ethnic folders, this is a must have.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_navaja.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_navaja_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_navaja_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_navaja_scale.jpg

I do believe it’s been about 7 years when I first saw the Tuff concept model, it looked promising but the concept model had always been fairly ‘rough’. This prototype looks pretty well finished to me.

I like the spiky scale with the Reeve Integral Lock, it’s grippy but didn’t seem too sharp. It didn’t seem likely to rip open my hand or anything. It’s big and massive. The fuller looks really cool, and I’m quite anxious to try it out, see how it cuts. The Tuff also makes me want to do overstrikes and spinewhacks; I’m curious just how tough this knife is. I have one major complaint though, the jimping on the spine and inside the choil is –to me- simply too smooth. It doesn’t match up with the grippy G10 scale and the spiked back plate. The knife screams ‘hard use’ folder, and it seems logical to me that you want it to stick to your hand. The jimping is an important interface with the hand. Why not make the jimping nice and deep, like on the Paramilitary 2 for example?

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_scale.jpg

Back