Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Thank you for posting all these wonderful pix, Mr.Blonde! :thumbup::cool::thumbup:

I'll take one of each, please!

(Just gotta go re-mortgage the house, brb...)

Thanks for the pics, Wouter!

It was originally stated that the Tuff would have a CPM-3V blade and an integral Compression Lock. And a Tuff with a Compression Lock (integral or nested) is the Tuff I want to own and use and the Tuff I'd consider tough. I can't wrap my mind around S30V or a framelock being considered tough enough for a folder named Tuff. With so many years passing between its announcement and execution, why do such stuff?

Likewise though I suspect what we see has been built with S30V for prototype manufacturing purposes. Sal did mention a couple of months back that the RIL is being planned for use in the time being, and that they hoped to be able a release the integral comp lock once they "ironed out the kinks" so to speak.

Bo.

I already have the Navaja on preorder. Was totally set on getting the Yojimbo 2 as well.
Now after reading this thread, I added the Ayoob, Szabo folder and Tuff to the list. So addictive...

Yeah, I was expecting a brute of a knife, something along the lines of the original Manix or Chinook but with a compression lock...

Maybe the name should be changed to the Bluff. :p

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the tuff the knife designed for the "I want a hard use knife" crowd?

If it is the case I am wondering about the impact of the fuller on the blade toughness.

Sal did mention a couple of months back that the RIL is being planned for use in the time being, and that they hoped to be able a release the integral comp lock once they "ironed out the kinks" so to speak.

I hope those kinks get ironed out before production. Feels like a dream got stomped, bloodied, wrapped in chains, and dragged over miles of obsidian shards to put it lightly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the tuff the knife designed for the "I want a hard use knife" crowd?

Yep. That's why it was going to have the integral Compression Lock instead of a Reeve Integral Linerlock and CPM-3V instead of CPM-S30V.

edited to add:

While I'm obviously bitter, I do like the blade shape and that it kept two of the four criteria that made it a desirable knife

1. Designed by Ed Schempp
2. Made by Spyderco either in-house or with an approved factory
3. Integral Compression Lock
4. CPM-3V blade steel

Frankly, number 4 was low on the list (CPM schmeePM), but that Compression Lock was integral to the blessed Tuff being, well, tough.

Last edited:
I hope those kinks get ironed out before production. Feels like a dream got stomped, bloodied, wrapped in chains, and dragged over miles of obsidian shards to put it lightly.

Yep. That's why it was going to have the integral Compression Lock instead of a Reeve Integral Linerlock and CPM-3V instead of CPM-S30V.

edited to add:

While I'm obviously bitter, I do like the blade shape and that it kept two of the four criteria that made it a desirable knife

1. Designed by Ed Schempp
2. Made by Spyderco either in-house or with an approved factory
3. Integral Compression Lock
4. CPM-3V blade steel

Frankly, number 4 was low on the list (CPM schmeePM), but that Compression Lock was integral to the blessed Tuff being, well, tough.

Thanks for the points. One thing noted about the RIL is with the addition of the steel lock face it can be easily replaced if there are any issues.

Either way with a RIL or a Compression lock it is one of the few new designs I actually like. Be it for the "hard use" crowd or not.

The blade sure is a sight to behold.

Either way, I'm still getting a Yojimbo2 and a Chapparal and might get DiAlex's new one (I said "might" :rolleyes: ), so I hope Papa Spyder, Ed, and company can excuse my vociferous whining.

edited to add: Great point about the replaceable lock face. Seeing a few of the liners have that now.

Thom, I know how heartbreaking it can be when something which sounded perfect to you gets morphed into something else. That said, a couple factors could be at work here since the integral compression lock has not been used since the ATR and Salsa.

I recall some complaints about pinching with them and, given the location of the lock cut, am not sure if that can be completely resolved. There's also the market outside these forums to consider. I suspect a lot fewer people are aware of the compression lock than of Walker and Reeve integral locks. The RIL is used on almost all the "hard use" folders on the market today so it has the benefit of that history. So there's a better chance of success in the marketplace.

Valid points on the association with toughness and the knives having to actually sell, Paul. Of course, the Para2 hasn't had that problem and the Manix2 seems to be a steady seller, but that could easily be just for three online stores out of hundreds.

The pinching one probably is, too (I used to pinch my hand with the ATR and the nested Comp Lock Salsas all the time - then it stopped happening).

Im sure that spyderco could easily update an integral compression lock after all these years. I feel that the tuff is just a nicer barong IMO. And I did not like that knife. The spy Leon seems like more of a user knife.
Thombrogan seems to have a similar taste in knives as myself. +1 on his idea.

Last edited:
I'm in for the Lion Spy, Szabo (been waiting for this one since Mr Blonde posted pics at last years meet), Navaja, Lum Tanto, Tuff and that sweet little Dyad.

The Valloton Folder reminds me of the old-style folders by Al Mar. This one looks like something of a gent’s tactical folder. Al Mar would have made it with a subhilt handle. I didn’t quite catch the materials, so I’m not sure if the handle is micarta or polished G10. It’s a tall blade, at least 4 inches. The knobs behind the opening hole are part of the locking mechanism, a new interpretation of the linerlock. Do notice the faceted tip, it’s kind of like a clip point tanto tip.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_vallottonfolder.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_vallottonfolder_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_vallottonfolder_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_vallottonfolder_spine.jpg

Wow. I really like this one as well. Spyderco is really hitting it out of the park for me in 2011/2012...

This is a rougher prototype than the others; no sheath was shown at the meet and frankly it looked like a concept model. I don´t reckon this will hit the market soon. The Pygmy is basically a pint size Warrior which I´m sure will appear to the MBC crowd looking for a reverse grip fighter for EDC. The blade seemed around 4,5 inches long. I am curious about the sheath,. This is one of those knives that will be carried much more than used. I´m not sure about the intended specs for production; whether H1 will be used or not for example.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_pygmywarrior.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_pygmywarrior_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_pygmywarrior_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_pygmywarrior_handle.jpg

The cool thing about the Carpenter folder is that it’s 100% made of Carpenter parts. The blade, handle, screws and clip are all manufactured by Carpenter. The model itself looked like a solid blue collar utility folder. A knife that would find a good home in toolboxes or tool belts and used every day on construction sites etc… That was at least the vibe I got from this prototype.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_carpenter2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_carpenter.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_carpenter_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_carpenter_clip.jpg

The Techno is a little tank-like folder reminiscent of the Leafstorm. Just because the folder is short, is no reason for it not to be built like a tank. The ergos were nice. I do hope the production model will have a polished blade, rather than the bead blasted blade on this prototype. I’d also prefer a tip-up option for the clip.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_lock.jpg

The Techno is a little tank-like folder reminiscent of the Leafstorm. Just because the folder is short, is no reason for it not to be built like a tank. The ergos were nice. I do hope the production model will have a polished blade, rather than the bead blasted blade on this prototype. I’d also prefer a tip-up option for the clip.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_lock.jpg

gimme gimme gimme! that is awesome! it does need a tip-up option. I like the carpenter, too. a lot of good looking knives, but I'd like something other than S30V and VG-10. I know, they're great steels, but there are other steels that are more interesting to me, especially in a high end spydie.

Back