Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

This Techno thing is awesome. I will be waiting on this one and would want to have more than one ..oh ..and would also want to see other Spyderco knives made with this finish on metal (wheather stainless or titanium ) handles.

The LionSteel beefy Spy is also on my list:thumbup:

Last edited:
I think that that little Techno is awesome just the way it is! It looks like a lot of the new blade shapes have more belly to them. :thumbup:

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_tuff_clip.jpg

Wonderful topic, with a ton of interesting stuff;)

The tuff seems a really interesting option-substitution for the guys like me that want a titanium Military RIL, but with a tip up configuration.
I like the design of the tuff, even if I prefer the Military, but the tip-up option is a must have for me.

Does someone know the function of that strange grove on the blade of the tuff? Is it only for look or it has some function?
IMO the look of the tuff will be better without that strange grove.
Always IMO a nice full-flat grind blade in D2 without the grove will be interesting on the tuff.

I hope that the texture & jimping on the handles of the tuff will not destroy the pockets of the jeans-pants, like the jimping on the PPT, that is really a pocket killer (...but in general the PPT is a state of the art folder, it's one of my favourite folder and little bit of fine sand paper will smooth the jimping)

I love the idea of the Pygmy Warrior. I'd like some touch-ups here and there + a proper spyderedge on the back though.

One thing I really like about the Tuff is the textured titanium! I also noticed the fluted Native/Military, though they probably won't have as much grip as the Tuff. My biggest complaint to metal handled knives is the grip, looks like the Tuff solves this. I hope Spyderco will put this(or something similar) on future knives too.

This Techno thing is awesome. I will be waiting on this one and would want to have more than one ..oh ..and would also want to see other Spyderco knives made with this finish on metal (wheather stainless or titanium ) handles.

The LionSteel beefy Spy is also on my list:thumbup:

I think that that little Techno is awesome just the way it is! It looks like a lot of the new blade shapes have more belly to them. :thumbup:

Agreed. I'd would LOVE to have the Techno released just like it appears in the picture. It's perfect with that blade finish and Ti handle treatment. :thumbup:

It adds strength to the blade. Think of it like an arch (really efficient load bearing structure).
technically it weakens the blade, because you're removing metal.
but removing metal makes the blade lighter, and removing metal in that way minimized the loss in strength.

The Manbug looks like an oversized ladybug. I’m a big fan of the Ladybug, it’s probably the design I carry the most, since it’s always part of my EDC. The Manbug seems to big for keychain carry, to me at least. However, I think it fits nicely in a neck sheath or pocket carry. The ergos are nice, but –as with the ladybug- I would still attach something to the lanyard hole to improve overall grip and handling. I have Ti capsule that fits one CR123 battery that could fit very nicely to the Manbug. Personally I’d go for the polished G10 handle. The Manbug should be a very functional pocket knife you could use among even the most critical non-knife people. This one’s definitely on my wish list

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug_closed2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug_polished_closed2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_manbug_peelply_closed2.jpg

This fixed blade design by Phil Wilson may not look very impressive, but it is when you pick it up. The knife reminded me a lot of the Temperance fixed blade, but more of a utility and camp variant. The blade is around 5 inch long and the knife was balanced very nicely. Unfortunately, I missed most of the explanation of this model, so I’m not sure about intended materials etc….I will be keeping a close eye on the development of this design into a production model.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork_handle.jpg

This is a more traditional interpretation of the blue Damascus Delica that came out last year. The looks are stunning if you’re into the red/brown bone handle and golden titanium bolster. I like the Damascus lines a lot, it’s like a bunch of rivers flooding towards the tip. I won’t carry this much, but I am seriously tempted to get this one. I am a Delica 4 fan and this is one variation I’ll probably kick myself for, for not getting it when I had the chance.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_delicasprint.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_delicasprint_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_delicasprint_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_delicasprint_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_delicasprint_closed2.jpg

This was my last Spyderco Prototype Picture Post for now, I'm off to the IWA show in Nuremberg, Germany. I hope to be back in a couple of days with maybe a prototype or two I can post, I'd have to check with Sal & Eric. And I hope to shoot some videos of the new models. I'll try to check this thread while I'm on the road, but I won't be posting new pictures.

Thanks for looking!

Mr. Blonde - I really appreciate the great pictures and your impressions of these knives. Thank You! :thumbup::thumbup:

This fixed blade design by Phil Wilson may not look very impressive, but it is when you pick it up. The knife reminded me a lot of the Temperance fixed blade, but more of a utility and camp variant. The blade is around 5 inch long and the knife was balanced very nicely. Unfortunately, I missed most of the explanation of this model, so I’m not sure about intended materials etc….I will be keeping a close eye on the development of this design into a production model.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork_handle.jpg

Yep, that's the one. :thumbup:

It's going to be awesome and I am really looking forward to this one. :D

The South Fork is going to be a huge success !
I almost lost my last eye on this baby as it has overload my senses !
Ooooh. This is another high performance tool in la scuderia ! :D
(For those who don't know yet who Mr Wilson is.... please take a look at his site http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/)

The South Fork is going to be a huge success !
I almost lost my last eye on this baby as it has overload my senses !
Ooooh. This is another high performance tool in la scuderia ! :D
(For those who don't know yet who Mr Wilson is.... please take a look at his site http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/)

Phil Wilson is truly a legend in the knife industry, his work with PM steels has been ground breaking.

His designs are highly optimized for pure performance and his Heat Treating is truly amazing, he is a master at what he does.

This collaboration is groundbreaking for the knife industry and we are seeing history being made here. :thumbup:

Back