Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

This is the last prototype I can show you, the Frank Centofante Memory model. I wasn’t sure if I could show you this model yet, I had to check with the Spydercrew over the weekend at the IWA show in Germany.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_centofantememory.jpg

Centofante has apparently been very important in the development of Spyderco as a knife manufacturer. Sal told us about how Frank Centofante influenced them in manufacturing quality. Mr. Centofante passed on in 2009 if I recall correctly, and this model will be in dedication to his memory.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_centofantememory_blade.jpg

The knife is a classic gent´s knife with very refined lines. The handle is blue anodized titanium with a silver twill carbon fiber onlay. The piece is very lightweight and the handle to blade ratio is very close. Even though this model is not intended for left-handed users, I had no trouble opening and closing it left-handed. The action was very smooth. Since my father was a fan of Spyderco Centofante collaborations before he passed on in 2009, this model has somewhat of a double meaning for me and is a must-have in my collection.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_centofantememory_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_centofantememory_scale.jpg

I wonder if that pivot screw design will make it through to production. On the one hand, it looks really nice. On the other hand, it would be a bother to have to find a bit to adjust it.

I really like how the backbar is patterned the same as the original metal handle C25's was. And I love the shade of blue they got on the Ti. Reminds me of a Korth folder I used to have.

That Centofante is awesome, all it needs in my opinion is a tip-up clip position.
I really hope we' ll have that option when it comes out:)

Why the hourglass clip!?!

A knife such as this deserves a clip designed specifically for it.
Why not? It's become Spyderco's de-facto standard clip for models not suitable for a wire clip and is the closest thing to the clips used on the C25 and C50.

The Centofante is beautiful. What's the length on it?

The new Centofante Memory is a beautiful knife indeed!

I agree, that clip just looks out of place in that knife.

That Centofante is awesome, all it needs in my opinion is a tip-up clip position.
Tip up or tip down, I don't care, as long as the handle is not drilled to the point of looking like a swiss cheese.

I understand the sentiment but consider what making a one-off clip for this knife might add to its cost. It's already got titanium, carbon fiber, and is made in Seki. I imagine the MSRP is going to be a fair chunk of change for a knife this size as it is.

This is a great looking set of knives with wide variety and obvious innovation. There are definately a few that have caught my attention. Keep up the good work.

While it wasn't technically shot at the Amsterdam Meet, it does deal with one of the prototypes in this thread. So I figured it for reference it would be better to add this (and upcoming videos) in this thread.

[youtube]dZZYDv-63Vg&hd=1[/youtube]

I'm glad to see more small knives on the table, especially small locking blades. I've got a good feeling about the H1 Dragonfly and the Chapparal.

Great video! Thanks for that.

I'm disappointed they aren't going with the beautiful blue color, and especially that they aren't using polished G-10. With the bolster and overall classiness of the knife, the polished G-10 seems so much more fitting IMO.

I understand the sentiment but consider what making a one-off clip for this knife might add to its cost. It's already got titanium, carbon fiber, and is made in Seki. I imagine the MSRP is going to be a fair chunk of change for a knife this size as it is.

But lets be honest, how much could it possibly cost? $10, $15 maybe? I would gladly pay that on any knife to have a clip that better suits the design.

The hourglass works on some designs, just not anywhere near as many as Spyderco uses it for.

As you mentioned this knife will likely be very expensive, so that added cost is just a drop in the bucket.

Mid to low range Spydies are fine with the hourglass, but once you pass the $100 mark there really should be specialized clips.

I think the wire clip would make a better standard clip.

Why not? It's become Spyderco's de-facto standard clip for models not suitable for a wire clip and is the closest thing to the clips used on the C25 and C50.

It's a diservice to the knife, it's meant as a memory piece, a homage to a titan of the knife world.

Slapping on the standard clip to a knife of this cost as well as meaning seems criminal. It makes absolutely no sense on that design.

But lets be honest, how much could it possibly cost? $10, $15 maybe? I would gladly pay that on any knife to have a clip that better suits the design.

The hourglass works on some designs, just not anywhere near as many as Spyderco uses it for.

As you mentioned this knife will likely be very expensive, so that added cost is just a drop in the bucket.

Mid to low range Spydies are fine with the hourglass, but once you pass the $100 mark there really should be specialized clips.

I think the wire clip would make a better standard clip.

It's a diservice to the knife, it's meant as a memory piece, a homage to a titan of the knife world.

Slapping on the standard clip to a knife of this cost as well as meaning seems criminal. It makes absolutely no sense on that design.
You can always pay someone to make what you consider a more appropriate clip for yours.

One problem is that, as with most esthetic considerations, beauty here is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly, aside from the clip on the C27 Jess Horn, I can't think of a single Spyderco clip that I find remotely attractive. In fact, to me a clip, even the C27's, detracts from, rather than adding to, the appearance of the knife to which it's attached.

But you may still luck out. There's always the possibility the choice of clips will change before the knife reaches production. Would not be the first time there were differences between a prototype and the resultant production model.

You might, and I might, but does Spyderco think it's worth it in terms of cost on their end over the size of the production run? That's a lot of drops in the bucket and maybe it doesn't work when they crunch the numbers.

There was a case where I had the same kind of reaction when they made a knife a certain way - the JD Smith sprint. I felt legit PO'd that they ditched the micarta handles and the hollow grind, and I wrote as much on the forums. After a while though I realized that was an overreaction. Rather than consider why the knife was the way it was from the company's perspective I just saw it not the way I'd hoped and set my keyboard to flame. Do I like that knife any more now than I did then? Not really, but I'd like to think I understand it better after giving it more thought. Just sayin'....

Back