Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Looks like the Flipper is getting some really good steel too. This is a "must have" knife for me.

Well the only one I KNOW I'm getting is the Caly 3.5 cf, but why... WHY did they have to laminate it with 420j2? WHY!

Not sure if you are referring to lamination in general or just that they used 420J2. IIRC, this maker doesn't cut out the blades with a laser, but stamps them out. Because of this, they are unable to handle full thickness ZDP, ergo, they have to laminate it with something softer so their machinery can punch it out.

^ What?

It makes very little sense to clad a steel just so they can stamp it out

The reason they laminated 420J2 was for the Corrosion resistance. You now have a larger surface of very stainless steel and your cutting edge is still the superb ZDP189. San Mai like this is not easy to do, but they did it for a good reason.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Beads

These beads looked very nice, they are still in the prototype stage and the white plastic beads were tough to photograph in my lightbox. The manufacturing process for the plastic protos is pretty cool though. Two lasers shoot in a vat of liquid plastic and where the lasers meet, the plastic hardens. Apparently, that way you can do much more rapid prototyping than in the past. Spyderco is considering using several materials for the beads. I liked the clear plastic and the pewter version best. These beads look like perfect accessories for the Spyderknut.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_beads.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_beads1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_beads2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_beads3.jpg

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Cricket Nishijin

This cricket with a nishijin carbon fiber handle was well received at the meet. Only one side features the unique carbon fiber handle, the clipside is still the same steel integral lock as a regular Cricket. I hope this model does well enough to warrant a serrated version. I prefer my ‘hawk’s –even the small ones- with teeth.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_cricketnishijin.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_cricketnishijin_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_cricketnishijin_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_cricketnishijin_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_cricketnishijin_handle.jpg

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Meerkat Burgandy Sprint

The Meerkat seems to be making a slow but steady comeback. After the black originals, there was a blue sprint run a year or so ago. And now another sprint run! The Meerkat is not just a novelty design to me, although you can play some fun pranks on people trying to figure out the lock, it´s also a very good user. The burgundy color looked very nice to me. I´m happy to have one on pre-order.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_meerkatsprint.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_meerkatsprint_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_meerkatsprint_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_meerkatsprint_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_meerkatsprint_closed.jpg

Wouter,
Great pictures, as always. FFG Meercat looks great. The handle on the pictures looks brown for me, is it lighting or this is real color?
I hope that Spyderco would make reverse S blade next time

Wouter,
Great pictures, as always. FFG Meercat looks great. The handle on the pictures looks brown for me, is it lighting or this is real color?
I hope that Spyderco would make reverse S blade next time

In a way, it's always the lighting. But I to me it looks more red. At any rate, in my lightbox the lights are a bit brighter than ´normal´. So in ´regular´ light it might look slightly darker.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Manbug Bolsters/G-10

The Manbug prototype with bolsters also featured peel-ply gray G-10. It’s a cool and practical little knife. The grip is very good; it hardly needs a lanyard or something else to complete a full grip on this small folder. This is a must have, period.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug_ramp.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug_closed1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_manbug1.jpg

^ What?

It makes very little sense to clad a steel just so they can stamp it out

The reason they laminated 420J2 was for the Corrosion resistance. You now have a larger surface of very stainless steel and your cutting edge is still the superb ZDP189. San Mai like this is not easy to do, but they did it for a good reason.

It may make very little sense to you, but that is the explanation Sal gave when asked how they determine whether to use solid or laminated ZDP. The maker that does the Delica and Endura has a laser cutter which can cut blanks from solid ZDP, so that's what they us. The maker that does the Calypso series does not, so they use the laminate.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Phil Wilson South Fork

The South Fork is gearing up for production, at least that’s what I suspect judging from this factory prototype. Last year we got to see Phil Wilson’s custom South Fork, this version has been made from that example. It’s a very elegant blade and looks very practical. This will still be made with an S90V blade, and I can’t wait to put it to work. When this knife made the rounds at the Meet, I got it without a sheath – I’m not sure if a sheath has already been designed.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_handle1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_choil.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_signature.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southfork_spine.jpg

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Fred Perrin Streetbowie

Apparently customers kept asking for the Streetbowie, because it’s making a comeback! This prototype seemed exactly the same knife that I have in my collection. The sheath wasn’t included in the passaround, so I didn’t photograph it, but I did spot it on the table with Sal and Eric. The new sheath design looks so much better than the old injection molded version. I hope they keep that design and I’ll get another Streetbowie.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_streetbowie.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_streetbowie_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_streetbowie_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_streetbowie_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_streetbowie_jimping.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_streetbowie_spine.jpg

In a way, it's always the lighting. But I to me it looks more red. At any rate, in my lightbox the lights are a bit brighter than ´normal´. So in ´regular´ light it might look slightly darker.
Thank you.
Streetbowie was before my Spyderco time. The knife looks very nice. No spyderhole in the blade?

Thank you.
Streetbowie was before my Spyderco time. The knife looks very nice. No spyderhole in the blade?

Nope, as I understand the US Military was interested in this knife (which was originally designed for the French military) and they didn't like the hole. But..it's still a proto. Changes can be made before final production.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Bob Terzuola Starmate

Another familiar blade was the Starmate. This time, it will be made in Japan. I never owned one, so I was happy to see and handle this familiar design. Overall size and materials reminded me of the Military. The Starmate seemed to have a bit more heft to it though. It’s a straight design and the blade stays pretty solid all the way to the tip.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_liner.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_jimping.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_starmate_closed.jpg

Would loved to of seen the Cricket with a liner lock like the past CF Varient, but its still a lovely knife.

Really looking forward to the Southard flipper!!!

And DAMN!! That Starmate is soooo nice!!

I am really excited for the larger folders I see here. I will definitely buy the Southard flipper, Ulize, and Starmate.

the starmate... i was pretty excited when i saw they were bringing this one back. though i hope it will have the shield on the handle

Back