An Ode to the 2-Blade Jack

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
Okay, not technically an "ode", more a tribute, but it sure makes for a catchy title.

I've been at this game for close to three years now and I've seen my knife collection flourish, relationships blossom, and my diminutive knowledge growing every day. I remember some of my original commentary here when I first arrived; I was ignorant, wide eyed, and quite excitable. My tastes were more in line with what I appreciated in modern folders but it didn't take long for such things to start evolving.

Like most who find their way here to these forums, I have a love affair with knives. Though I certainly have found preferences and favorites, I am quite fond of cutlery overall. That said, not much gets my motor running quite like a solid 2-blade jack. Some folks like a single blade, some folks like three, four, or even more. I like them all myself but there is something about that 2 bladed configuration that just hits that sweet spot for me.

You can find 2-blade jacks in all manner of shapes, sizes, and configurations. From the serpentine to the cigar, the swell end to the gunstock, just about any pattern can be made into a 2-bade jack and I think that is pretty special.

ymyOOMX.jpg

Sometimes the blade configuration can seem rather redundant but one of the many things that I have come to better understand and appreciate is that there will always be a use for a sharp blade. It doesn't matter what shape, size, or arrangement, if it is sharp, it will do its job.

CjhTGi8.jpg

Though with the above said, I do appreciate a rather useful blade combo. Rather, what I find to be rather useful... It is hard to beat a configuration that has a straight edge and one with some belly.

qc6Bf72.jpg

Sometimes, it is just nice to have something altogether different.

n6zDuWf.jpg

Something that comes up often in conversation is the debate regarding the secondary being on the pile or the mark side. I've developed a bit of a preference and I might be in the minority but I do prefer my secondary to be on the pile side. It has become somewhat of a habit for me to access the main blade with my right hand and if I want to use the secondary, I flip it over and use my left hand. A minor preference though...

ZJpPrCa.jpg

jbXNrtx.jpg

phqzkYh.jpg

Sometimes, you get a jack that has two full size blades. Pairing a large clip with a large spear has always been a a bit of an enigma to me but they both cut and on a big knife like the 54, they do their jobs well.

3CDab3H.jpg

With another run of Eureka Jacks being produced in the very near future, I thought I would share some of my enthusiasm and I hope you all will bear with me. It really is hard to beat a good 2-blade jack with the right blade combo.

Please feel free to share your favorite 2-blade jacks. Pictures make every thread better and I'd love to see yours.

bgFn4qJ.jpg

Though I generally prefer single blades, two blade jacks are a close second for pocket carry. Not only are two blades versatile, but the additional back spring (if present) often makes the handle fit perfectly in the hand. Single springs to me sometimes feel too thin.
I love the feel of a good traditional Barlow, the girth and heft just feel splendid in hand.

For me though nothing epitomizes the classic jack as the GEC 91. Wish I still had mine

Here's a few of my favorites, including a new one:IMG_20190802_191937.jpg

Isn't a "pen knjfe" a "jack knife"?

If we're counting as a "jack knife" those with blades at both ends, I'm rather fond of the Moose, Canoe, and Sunfish patterns.
If not, I'll go with a nice Barlow or (full size) Trapper pattern.

Back