1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

An Ode to the 2-Blade Jack

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pàdruig, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Okay, not technically an "ode", more a tribute, but it sure makes for a catchy title.

I've been at this game for close to three years now and I've seen my knife collection flourish, relationships blossom, and my diminutive knowledge growing every day. I remember some of my original commentary here when I first arrived; I was ignorant, wide eyed, and quite excitable. My tastes were more in line with what I appreciated in modern folders but it didn't take long for such things to start evolving.

Like most who find their way here to these forums, I have a love affair with knives. Though I certainly have found preferences and favorites, I am quite fond of cutlery overall. That said, not much gets my motor running quite like a solid 2-blade jack. Some folks like a single blade, some folks like three, four, or even more. I like them all myself but there is something about that 2 bladed configuration that just hits that sweet spot for me.

You can find 2-blade jacks in all manner of shapes, sizes, and configurations. From the serpentine to the cigar, the swell end to the gunstock, just about any pattern can be made into a 2-bade jack and I think that is pretty special.

[​IMG]

Sometimes the blade configuration can seem rather redundant but one of the many things that I have come to better understand and appreciate is that there will always be a use for a sharp blade. It doesn't matter what shape, size, or arrangement, if it is sharp, it will do its job.

[​IMG]

Though with the above said, I do appreciate a rather useful blade combo. Rather, what I find to be rather useful... It is hard to beat a configuration that has a straight edge and one with some belly.

[​IMG]

Sometimes, it is just nice to have something altogether different.

[​IMG]

Something that comes up often in conversation is the debate regarding the secondary being on the pile or the mark side. I've developed a bit of a preference and I might be in the minority but I do prefer my secondary to be on the pile side. It has become somewhat of a habit for me to access the main blade with my right hand and if I want to use the secondary, I flip it over and use my left hand. A minor preference though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes, you get a jack that has two full size blades. Pairing a large clip with a large spear has always been a a bit of an enigma to me but they both cut and on a big knife like the 54, they do their jobs well.

[​IMG]

With another run of Eureka Jacks being produced in the very near future, I thought I would share some of my enthusiasm and I hope you all will bear with me. It really is hard to beat a good 2-blade jack with the right blade combo.

Please feel free to share your favorite 2-blade jacks. Pictures make every thread better and I'd love to see yours.

[​IMG]

mbkr, WhittlinAway, danno50 and 43 others like this.
  2. solphilos

solphilos Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Though I generally prefer single blades, two blade jacks are a close second for pocket carry. Not only are two blades versatile, but the additional back spring (if present) often makes the handle fit perfectly in the hand. Single springs to me sometimes feel too thin.
    I love the feel of a good traditional Barlow, the girth and heft just feel splendid in hand.

For me though nothing epitomizes the classic jack as the GEC 91. Wish I still had mine

Here's a few of my favorites, including a new one: IMG_20190802_191937.jpg

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Excellent post! :cool::thumbsup:
    I too share your love of two-blade jack knives, especially those built by Case...
    [​IMG]

mbkr, Modoc ED, CelloDan and 23 others like this.
  4. Titan

Titan

Jan 21, 1999
    I do believe I'm in the same cutlery journey as you as I find my 2-blade jack collection growing, Padruig!

Great collection, pics and post!

Pàdruig, Cutfinger and JohnDF like this.
  5. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    Beautiful collection Dylan! This is my ideal, GEC 78 American Jack with clip main and a secondary pen that is exceptional.

IMG_2616.jpg IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

mbkr, Pàdruig, Mayonardo and 20 others like this.
  6. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I love them, too! pillbuster mark.jpg pile.JPG

mbkr, Pàdruig, danno50 and 22 others like this.
  7. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Folding hunters be jacks, too. Bokers 1 (Large).jpg Bokers 2 (Large).jpg

8. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Case Small Texas Jack...

[​IMG]

mbkr, Pàdruig, Dr-Mabuse and 18 others like this.
  9. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    GEC 77 Yankee Jack

[​IMG]

mbkr, Pàdruig, CelloDan and 20 others like this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    #77s are wonderful. I hope they do another run of them some day, I'd like to own one myself. :cool::thumbsup:

DCFree and GE Jr like this.
  11. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Lots of beautiful knives in this thread.

Pàdruig, Titan, JohnDF and 1 other person like this.
  12. Cutfinger

Cutfinger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    My favourite are spear and pen jacks, with the pen on the correct (mark) side! ;)
    Classic look, I think.
    I do like other jacks too, by far my favourite knife. image.jpg

Michael

13. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    [​IMG]
    An Oldy but Goody

14. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Cutfinger

Cutfinger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Nice serpentine alright Meako:thumbsup:, but......isn't that a pen knife?:eek::D
    Whadoo eye no?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Campbellclanman and meako like this.
  16. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Isn't a "pen knjfe" a "jack knife"?

If we're counting as a "jack knife" those with blades at both ends, I'm rather fond of the Moose, Canoe, and Sunfish patterns.
    If not, I'll go with a nice Barlow or (full size) Trapper pattern.

17. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    Whoopsie.
    My bad.

Cutfinger and Jolipapa like this.
  18. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Also my favorite, 2 blade jack or 2 blade Barlow which is a jack with a long bolster.

IMG_0084.jpg IMG_9969.jpg IMG_9725.jpg IMG_9448.jpg

mbkr, Pàdruig, danno50 and 25 others like this.
  19. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I'm enjoying this thread; jacks are some of my favorites too :thumbsup:

[​IMG]Jacks by D P, on Flickr

Saddlehorn, Trapper, Gunstock, Dogleg, Mini Trapper

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I agree with the pen (or other secondary) in front, whether with spear or clip main. Here are some of my faves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mbkr, Pàdruig, danno50 and 23 others like this.