An Ode to the 2-Blade Jack

Nice thread, Dylan. I love one- and three-bladed knives, but a two-bladed jack also hits the sweet spot for me.
5H0qMWO.jpg

Two blade jacks certainly are my favourite. So much so that I'm currently having one modified from a single blade. I preffer the secondary to be a pen blade and located on the mark side. Main blade should be a spear or clip point, certainly not a straight edge. Somehow I never cared much for those. Here's three that I currently carry the most:

1b4qdwx.jpg

jz6stHp.jpg

d0NZBz3.jpg

I avoid single blades, and prefer 2 or 3 blade knives. My favorite and most carried jack is an equal end I asked Todd Davison to build for me. The blades are nearly equal, but not quite. The wharncliffe is very slightly shorter than the clip.

6AF7A6D2-5010-4338-8721-BEE9CD9BF0F7.jpeg

Stan Buzek is building me a slightly smaller jack (about 3.5”) similar to this, but with a straight edged secondary...

30D7184A-995C-428F-8920-311EEC4AE0FB.jpeg

I also have a Ruple sowbelly that carries and uses like a jack, but with an added awl for scraping and such. Since the awl sits flush with the liner when closed, it looks like a sowbelly jack.

645B1DAC-3735-48B5-B022-0EE5BBEE084F.jpeg

A trapper is also a jack, in my mind. It just has a specific traditional blade configuration...

3CFD069A-0F23-4843-A89C-541575A53B06.jpeg

Almost forgot one of my newest jacks, a nice spear/pen in stag from Joel Chamblin...

1FD27586-B1E2-4D55-A76C-3ED833FDAE65.jpeg

Thanks for the thread and all the great jack knives!

Last edited:
I avoid single blades, and prefer 2 or 3 blade knives. My favorite and most carried jack is an equal end I asked Todd Davison to build for me. The blades are nearly equal, but not quite. The wharncliffe is very slightly shorter than the clip.

View attachment 1173289

Stan Buzek is building me a slightly smaller jack (about 3.5”) similar to this, but with a straight edged secondary...

View attachment 1173290

I also have a Ruple sowbelly that carries and uses like a jack, but with an added awl for scraping and such. Since the awl sits flush with the liner when closed, it looks like a sowbelly jack.

View attachment 1173291

A trapper is also a jack, in my mind. It just has a specific traditional blade configuration...

View attachment 1173292:thumbsup:

Almost forgot one of my newest jacks, a nice spear/pen in stag from Joel Chamblin...

View attachment 1173300

Thanks for the thread and all the great jack knives!
Beautiful collection :thumbsup:

Am OCD about blade rub, only way to avoid it is single blade or side by side jack. Generally prefer a single blade, fits in the pocket easier and if more is needed it generally calls for a fixed blade. Jim Dunlap made this fine jack to my specs, clip main and straight secondary with the nick on the pile side, makes the blades easier to open. Fit and finish as good as makers costing much more.

dunlapchiefstrapper1.jpg

dunlapchiefstrapper2.jpg

Pretty stiff pull on the main, especially with the short nick. Love the slight recurve on the main.

bosetexasjack1.jpg

Wow!!!! I LOVE the knives posted folks- Thank you Dylan....

I would consider this a Two 'Bladed" Jack all day my friend....and it get the job done very well!

GXtq5yW.jpg

If some don't, this one then, because Two Bladed Jacks rock!

09Mnogo.jpg

or.....

VaV8FpH.jpg

Back