Antique New York Knife Company Knives and Company History

Status
Not open for further replies.
oix1ef.jpg

Here is a serpentine lobster marked Trout Hardware (1896-1907). Looks like NYK pickbone covers, can't confirm if NYK made knives for Trout though, but sure looks like your lobster Primble

troutbonelobster1.jpg

Here is a serpentine lobster marked Trout Hardware (1896-1907). Looks like NYK pickbone covers, can't confirm if NYK made knives for Trout though, but sure looks like your lobster Primble

The time frame fits, there is one very similar to yours in the NYKC section of my 1908 Biddle Hardware catalog, model 3034. It showed it with an identical shield as your Trout, plus the picked bone is typical for NYKC, IMO. A very good chance that NYKC made your knife. I have quite a few old Primble ISW's that have that same color and jigging style that I have been long ago convinced were made by New York Knife. :)

Your Trout Hardware is a fine looker, BTW. :thumbup::)

Here is a modded NYKC Barlow that Mark owned and re-handled in antique stag. It is pretty handsome, however, has probably lost all historical value. Still - It functions nicely, makes a nice carry knife, and the price was right.

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: to all of it! :eek:

Mark does wonders with his Stag...he obtains a very vintage look in my eyes. Very nice Rob. I love that EO tear drop posted earlier;):thumbup:

The time frame fits, there is one very similar to yours in the NYKC section of my 1908 Biddle Hardware catalog, model 3034. It showed it with an identical shield as your Trout, plus the picked bone is typical for NYKC, IMO. A very good chance that NYKC made your knife. I have quite a few old Primble ISW's that have that same color and jigging style that I have been long ago convinced were made by New York Knife. :)

Your Trout Hardware is a fine looker, BTW. :thumbup::)

Thanks for the additional information and comments.
Charles

Guys,

Love the pictures... As I am finding my way back to what really inspired me to knife collecting this thread has my attention. I have a lot of NYKC knives in my collection. They may be my favorite. I also have a copy of the "Cultural Resources site Examination" of the NYKC which examines the site and how it evolved over the years. Here are few.. today

1st: This may be oldest NYKC knife I have seen to date. It would be hard to prove but looking at it it is early. Sorry the tang stamp is not readable. None the less it is still one of my favorites

2nd: A big ole 4 1/4" cigar

3rd: Possibly a salesman sample in excellent condition. At 2 9/16" my smallest NYKC knife

Guys,

Love the pictures... As I am finding my way back to what really inspired me to knife collecting this thread has my attention. I have a lot of NYKC knives in my collection. They may be my favorite. I also have a copy of the "Cultural Resources site Examination" of the NYKC which examines the site and how it evolved over the years. Here are few.. today

1st: This may be oldest NYKC knife I have seen to date. It would be hard to prove but looking at it it is early. Sorry the tang stamp is not readable. None the less it is still one of my favorites

This may be the ultimate restoration project. ;-)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: to all of it! :eek:

Thanks Philllll !

Mark does wonders with his Stag...he obtains a very vintage look in my eyes. Very nice Rob. I love that EO tear drop posted earlier;):thumbup:

I agree Paul - he does - and thank you !

Thanks for the additional information and comments.
Charles

Hope any of that helped you decide Charles.

As I am finding my way back to what really inspired me to knife collecting this thread has my attention. I have a lot of NYKC knives in my collection. They may be my favorite. I also have a copy of the "Cultural Resources site Examination" of the NYKC which examines the site and how it evolved over the years. Here are few.. today

Might be the rustiest old knife I ever laid my eyes on. Very interesting ! :thumbup::D

The big cigar has my favorite NYKC shield. :thumbup::thumbup::):)

This may be the ultimate restoration project. ;-)

Try rubbing a little harder when you sand it. :p

He could go bankrupt just buying all that sandpaper !!! ;):D:D:D That is one knife I would leave as found ! :D:D:D

Here is a modded NYKC Barlow that Mark owned and re-handled in antique stag. It is pretty handsome, however, has probably lost all historical value. Still - It functions nicely, makes a nice carry knife, and the price was right.

35m4ih4.jpg

I think that's a very subtle and appropriate renovation, decent Stag never looks out of place or time:thumbup::thumbup:

Regards, Will

This is one of those "Beautiful" threads!

Off I go to Oregon - maybe I will find an unusual NYKC!!

That swing guard is an exceptional and rare piece Charles. Very nice

Charles - they might be big ole knives - but - most beautiful specimens ! :thumbup::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back