1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Antique Winchester Knives and Company History 1919-1942

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MerryMadMonk, Feb 17, 2020.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    This is indeed a wonderful Winchester thread!!:)
    Don't miss any of it!!:cool:

Jolipapa, MerryMadMonk and Will Power like this.
  2. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Amazing examples all of them and in enviable condition too:thumbsup: Particularly note the Big Spear on the Dogleg and the extraordinary Small Pruner. You call it Boy's or Lady's, were they marketed as such in catalogues? They could just be smaller sizes for more intricate work on tricky subjects of course. Superb knife by any measure.

Regards, Will

Jolipapa and Augie like this.
  3. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Will, I think I saw a catalog cut that described it as a ladies garden knife, I'll see if I can find it again.

Will Power likes this.
  4. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Great thread with some great knives!

Early Winchester (I think)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Napanochs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice group of knives Mike!!:thumbsup:
    @Mike Robuck

Here's an oldie; pre - Winchester (of course!:D) Napanoch HJ!
    Napanoch HJ A.jpg Napanoch HJ B.jpg Napanoch HJ C.jpg Napanoch HJ D.jpg Napanoch HJ E.jpg

6. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    @Mike Robuck and @waynorth Thanks for showing those Napanoch knives! As I began my Winchester journey, I learned what many of y'all already know: the origin of most, if not all, Winchester patterns came from Napanoch and Walden. Winchester's pattern number/name for the Napanoch lockback that Mike posted is 1950/Sway Back Hunting and the Winchester pattern number (no specific name... they listed it in catalogs as Regular Jack with punch) for the Napanoch harness jack that Charlie posted is 2660.

7. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Winchester 2918 Serpentine Pen, 3 3/8 inches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd loved to see this jigging on some future pocket knives. Wouldn't mind seeing this pattern made again either!

8. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Nice additions on this page from Mike R., waynorth, and MerryMadMonk.
    Here is an an from 1939 (nearly the end) for some Jr. sized cattle knives.

BF Winchester Cattle Knife ad 1939  .jpg

9. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Thanks, herder! Love seeing the old ads.

waynorth likes this.
  10. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Winchester 2869 Gunstock, 3 3/4 inches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JustinR, peanutsxx, ccsavage and 8 others like this.
  11. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice old gunstock, Al!

These Wilberts were made by Napanoch before Winchester took them over! I wonder if Winchester continued the pattern?? I have never seen one so marked!:rolleyes: Wilbert SHs A.jpg Wilbert SHs B.jpg

peanutsxx, JustinR, ccsavage and 13 others like this.
  12. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Love popping in here, haven't had the chance to really soak it all up- Oh but I will...believe me!
    STUUUUUUUUNNNING Knives everyone!

If ever there was a HJ in my collection to sit and admire and wonder on just the pure depth of History - this is most definitely one, Gratefully received from Mr C. C ( Charlie the HJ's you have shown throughout this Thread are outa this World! )
    this Early Winchester still favouring its Napanoch Parenthood stunning Punch design - this small HJ is just great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  13. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

14. Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's

Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 5, 2016
    Very
    Very nice pair of Saddle Horns you got here ~

MerryMadMonk and waynorth like this.
  15. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    Great thread of knives and cool history - and historical connection of some great cutleries :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

I have a few to share - Here's a Winchester Jr Stock Whittler in faux horn celluloid with nickel silver liner & wedge - Model # 3046 (and I am not a celluloid fan at all but couldn't resist this knife :))...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come and thanks for looking!
    Lee

16. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    @waynorth Thanks, Charlie! Whether or not Winchester ever made that pattern, those are great examples of the craftsmanship that Winchester acquired when they bought Napanoch!

@Campbellclanman That harness jack is a gem, Duncan! And the stockman (3964?), too!

@LongBlade Lee, I wouldn't have been able to pass on that one, either. I love whittlers!

LongBlade and Campbellclanman like this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Astounding pattern and proportions . Yes I'd like to see GEC put their mind to making something like it, IDEA next Forum Knife ;):D

MerryMadMonk likes this.
  18. Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's

Grandpa Peter's and Grandma Betty's KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 5, 2016
    What year was this Winchester made and where and what factory manufactured them ~ anyone know ~ ? Christmas Handles are one of my Favorites on a Number of Manufacture's ~ Just Nostalgic and I love Christmas ~ Is this a Sowbelly Stockman ~ or is it just referred to as a Sowbelly ~ Christmas Tree Handle Scales Sowbelly Stockman.jpg

Old Hunter, ccsavage and waynorth like this.
  19. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Great specimen, Duncan!! Definitely showing its Napanoch DNA!!:cool:

Campbellclanman and MerryMadMonk like this.
  20. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I believe either term is correct, J !!
    If there is a year (like '92) stamped on the pile side of a blade, then the knife would have been made by Queen in that year! Otherwise, I do not know!!??