Any 3/16 inch 6-7 inch blade Busse knives?

Quite right. After witnessing all the mods done to $400 Busse knives I guess I need to step up and not be afraid to try one on my $100 esee6. :) OK, so round file and a respirator right? Can't find any video tutorials on it on YouTube, I could find some "after" videos but none of the complete project in the Busse style. Anything to be aware of?

If you have access to a belt sander it would make the job a lot easier. hhmoore mentioned a Half Round file, much less of a curve in those, a round file will try to dig in too much and cause valleys. If you dont have that and have sand paper just make a sanding block out of paint sticks. Start with a heavy grit and go lighter as you cut away material.

Hope this helps a little. Just basic ideas, you might have to fill in some blanks. :)

EDIT to add: If you get cloth backed sandpaper simply tear it into strips and carefully mount the handle scale in a vise then act like your polishing a shoe!

If I chose a file, it would be a flat one. I like Dwayne's ideas about sandpaper the best. Definitely use a respirator.
Remember, it is better to remove a little at a time, see how it feels in your hand, and then remove some more if needed and keep repeating this process, than to overdo it and take too much off.

My favorite so far in the suggested knives is the Satin Jack Tac! An amazing blade with the width and length of the ESEE 6 and INFI. If you want to see both side by side I can take pics for you. I have a Hell Razor as well I can add in there.

I specifically mentioned a half round file because it's the simplest one tool solution to this problem. I did a quick (20 minute) job on an Ontario RD7 handle. It isn't perfect; but it is quite comfortable...enough so that I don't really want to mess with it just for a little more shaping and prettying.
Before

After

Or, there is the TKC option

Once you've got that out of the way, you can focus on Busse. Check out the newly announced Battle Grade ASH1 (in SR101)...it might be just what you want.

I specifically mentioned a half round file because it's the simplest one tool solution to this problem. I did a quick (20 minute) job on an Ontario RD7 handle. It isn't perfect; but it is quite comfortable...enough so that I don't really want to mess with it just for a little more shaping and prettying. ...
I did not think about the areas where the handle curves in, so you are right - the half round file would do well there. Thank you for the photos - for a quick job, the Ontario handle looks good! :thumbup:

My favorite so far in the suggested knives is the Satin Jack Tac! An amazing blade with the width and length of the ESEE 6 and INFI. If you want to see both side by side I can take pics for you. I have a Hell Razor as well I can add in there.

Yup. I was going to mention this one as well. Great blade!

The Hellrazor is amazing, slices, dices, chops, and batons. Highly recommended.

It's also one of the coolest looking Busses around IMO.

I'm looking for one of the CBT HRs. Can't seem to find one for under $600 though. Oh well. I snooz'd I looz'd

Thanks for the tease guy. Haha. I saw that when it was up but I was a little little little piglet at the time and Didn't know what I was looking at.

Last edited:
photo_2_3.jpg

I just purchased one of these. They do come up with good regularity on this forum (and others). My third SJTAC. Feels great in hand. Good hunting...;-)

Last edited:
Yes. I am nearly positive it has the exact same blade/handle profile as any SJTAC. Hope someone else here can confirm that thought. Mine not yet delivered for comparison...;-)

The Axe-Hammer is clip-point and has a saber grind whereas the Satin Jack Tac was not a clip point and has a convex grind.

Satin jack Tac & CF Hell Razor.

14k8i8g.jpg

Pete

I have seen somewhere, someone had snakeskin micarta transferred from their SJTAC to their comp finish jackhammer. So this points to them having the same handle profile.

Both great blades. :thumbup:

The Axe-Hammer is clip-point and has a saber grind whereas the Satin Jack Tac was not a clip point and has a convex grind.

Satin jack Tac & CF Hell Razor.

14k8i8g.jpg

Pete
I see now. The way the blade looked in that picture i posted of the Axe Hammer made it look like a full flat grind at first look. Lol

Pete
Thank you for the clarification! I had assumed they were the same as the SJTAC.

I see now. The way the blade looked in that picture i posted of the Axe Hammer made it look like a full flat grind at first look. Lol
Thanks for posting the link and photo - if you look closely, you can see the line where the saber grind transitions.

I find the TAC handle to be one of the more comfortable current Busse handle designs.

But profile wise, the same? When my AX arrives, I will be able to compare side by side. And I also find that TAC handle to suit me the best...;-)

Back