Any collectors left? Any new ones?

I’m certainly still collecting...just not quite as fervently as I once did. Keep telling myself only a few knives each year....but the 5 I bought this past week leaves me scratching my head lol. Don’t post here near as much as I once did as the audience here seems to have dwindled down a bit. IG is where most of my Knife attention is spent. Good group of collectors has chimed in here.

I never thought of myself as a collector, but I have, in fact, collected many, many of the world's finest knives for a few days at a time, ( and the neat thing is I get paid to do it). The very best part of it is the many very good and close friends I've gained as a result, makers, collectors, craftsmen, and professionals. A golden experience!

I was a collector. My first show was Solvang 2008. Scored a Boguszewski King Classic and an Onion Wrinkle. Pretty soon I had a safe full of Bogi’s and Onions. Then got interested in Steve Hoel, Jess Horn, Jack Busfield, Ron Lake, and a few others. Then starting getting into the Italians, Emmanuel, Silvestrelli, Fogarizzu, and Puddu. I went to all the shows, Blade, AKI, ECCKS, Milan, USN Gathering etc. and got to know the makers and the purveyors and other collectors. I had a great time and met some really great people/friends. Spent a lot of time on the forums. But I started thinking what do I need all these knives for? I looked at them less and less. I sold everything in 2014. No regrets.

Hi Martin,

Glad you still remain interested and involved in the community. People rule!

What methods did you use to liquidate your collection? That's quite a feat for one year.

Hope you are well!

Coop

I have a couple but am no way a "collector" like many of you. I still would love to have a Loveless and another Knight along with a Randall. I have a few (6) customs from Andrew Takach and one from Knight, Lamey, Murr, Bailey, Fiddleback for customs.

I think Coop took pictures of two of the Takach blades I have.

I have added a couple of OTF's to the collection.

Ha! Not so Grasshopper...I have hundreds of Custom Tactical Folders my friend...I don’t post them here because, as you say, there’s no ‘audience’ :D

Post em please!! Or open a museum. Video tour maybe! From the very few I've seen of your collection I'm sure all my time would be spent droolin!!!!!

What pleasure, to drop in here and see that many of my long-time friends are are well and actively engaged in life and the love of fine custom blades. Retiring from my career in medicine after 35 years provided time to better organize, maintain and enjoy what had become quite a large collection of custom knives. It also helped me see and accept that I had become a bit burned-out by so much time and energy spent in pursuit of my cutlery passion - traveling, writing, photographing knives and events for publication, as well as two demanding (and satisfying) major book projects. My vision suffered from endless computer screen time editing photos and text. I needed a break. Now I feel great - fit and healthy. I really enjoy my blade collection which ultimately reveals my love of history and our connection with those who came before us in time. And, I've returned with energy and focus to my first love - music; acoustic guitar and especially the discipline of 'flat picking' bluegrass and fiddle tunes with roots in the southern Appalachian mountains and piedmont areas of the Carolinas where I was born and grew up. Although it's hard times for all on the planet, my little world is just right for me. Love to all my pals - you know who you are. And please, let's do what we can to get Jim Cooper into the BLADE Magazine hall of fame, politics be damned. He's done more to elevate custom knives than anybody in the last 20 years. Coop's beautiful knife images, digital savvy and constant upbeat promotion fueled the international explosion which has been an exponential leap forward.

^^^ Hey good to see you my man! Congrats on retirement and glad to hear you are doing well. Agreed completely re. Coop.

To the newcomers who used to be old timers "Set a spell, take your shoes off. Y'all come back now, y'hear." :)

I was a collector. My first show was Solvang 2008. Scored a Boguszewski King Classic and an Onion Wrinkle. Pretty soon I had a safe full of Bogi’s and Onions. Then got interested in Steve Hoel, Jess Horn, Jack Busfield, Ron Lake, and a few others. Then starting getting into the Italians, Emmanuel, Silvestrelli, Fogarizzu, and Puddu. I went to all the shows, Blade, AKI, ECCKS, Milan, USN Gathering etc. and got to know the makers and the purveyors and other collectors. I had a great time and met some really great people/friends. Spent a lot of time on the forums. But I started thinking what do I need all these knives for? I looked at them less and less. I sold everything in 2014. No regrets.

Sounds like a fantastic collection...my only regret is not buying one of Ron’s knives. Always wanted one. Just such superb workmanship. I did one better though, and met Ron, a great guy. :)

Buddy: SO glad to hear from you once again. You are one of my very favorite people, knives or otherwise.

Then again, I know I can say this about a half dozen members in this thread.

We know it's about the relationships. Steel, wood, and leather remind us of them.

:)

I'd like to consider myself a collector - even though my collection is modest at the moment. Started with Al Mar's in the 1980's and then Chris Reeve and then customs. Had a bit of everything over the years - tactical; art knives; traditionals - the best part was always meeting fellow collectors and makers at shows. Started a new career and family around 2000 and since then have sold off most of my collection as I needed to fund educations and business ventures. I still have the collector mindset even though I don't have the collector budget.....but I hope to overcome that in the future as my kids mature and also I am really looking forward to seeing old friends again at live shows one of these days. Of all the knives I've sold over the years there are some regrets but none more than my Francesco Pachi knives. Man I loved those.

What pleasure, to drop in here and see that many of my long-time friends are are well and actively engaged in life and the love of fine custom blades. Retiring from my career in medicine after 35 years provided time to better organize, maintain and enjoy what had become quite a large collection of custom knives. It also helped me see and accept that I had become a bit burned-out by so much time and energy spent in pursuit of my cutlery passion - traveling, writing, photographing knives and events for publication, as well as two demanding (and satisfying) major book projects. My vision suffered from endless computer screen time editing photos and text. I needed a break. Now I feel great - fit and healthy. I really enjoy my blade collection which ultimately reveals my love of history and our connection with those who came before us in time. And, I've returned with energy and focus to my first love - music; acoustic guitar and especially the discipline of 'flat picking' bluegrass and fiddle tunes with roots in the southern Appalachian mountains and piedmont areas of the Carolinas where I was born and grew up. Although it's hard times for all on the planet, my little world is just right for me. Love to all my pals - you know who you are. And please, let's do what we can to get Jim Cooper into the BLADE Magazine hall of fame, politics be damned. He's done more to elevate custom knives than anybody in the last 20 years. Coop's beautiful knife images, digital savvy and constant upbeat promotion fueled the international explosion which has been an exponential leap forward.
Do you still have your ducks unlimited spyderco Q knife?

Back