Any love for SS Spydies?

That's interesting that you look at stainless handled blades like you do because I mainly like stainless for reasons of "function" and "durability". When it comes to looks ( aesthetics) I far prefer Micarta, G-10, Titanium and anodized/colored aluminum. But to me stainless is for "beaters" and that's just the way I use my Stainless RESCUE models too.

I'm glad that Spyderco makes a wide variety of stainless handled blades because there certainly is a huge market for them. I've wondered a lot about what can be done to stainless handles to make them less slick when wet. But I'm working on it because I have a few stainless Spyders and I hope to eventually use some of them. (SE especially).
Interesting, they definitely are solid knives. I have been on a carbon fiber kick for my edc knives lately which ive been enjoying. I prefer a solid lighter knife, as my needs arent too heavy duty. Stainless folders to me are mostly for aesthetics and collectibility. I might be wrong but i feel like many dont prefer SS for edc, which is why im sometimes surprised spyderco has such a large production of stainless folders! But obviously there must be some of a demand!

Interesting, they definitely are solid knives. I have been on a carbon fiber kick for my edc knives lately which ive been enjoying. I prefer a solid lighter knife, as my needs arent too heavy duty. Stainless folders to me are mostly for aesthetics and collectibility. I might be wrong but i feel like many dont prefer SS for edc, which is why im sometimes surprised spyderco has such a large production of stainless folders! But obviously there must be some of a demand!

You would be surprised at how many people EDC Spyderco's stainless handled models. But you won't see them or hear them on these forums>>at least not very often anyway. Because most of us guys who frequent these forums are pretty picky and some are borderline perfectionists. It's unbelievable some of the stuff I hear guys say about many of Spyderco's more common models like your Delica and Endura models for instance.

But I actually run into people on occasion that do carry Spyderco stainless folders. And most of them I chat with from time to time are not aficionados like we are. But they are out there I can assure you. But unfortunately I see and talk to many, many more that have fake Spyderco, Benchmade & Boker look-a-likes ( knock offs) made in 3rd World Hell Holes that they bought at Rip-mart or some convenience store for $5 or less. And what blows me away is that most of them claim their knife is every bit as good as the top notch Spyderco's that I carry. And today I had my STainless RESCUE SE and my M390 Military .>> go figure

You would be surprised at how many people EDC Spyderco's stainless handled models. But you won't see them or hear them on these forums>>at least not very often anyway. Because most of us guys who frequent these forums are pretty picky and some are borderline perfectionists. It's unbelievable some of the stuff I hear guys say about many of Spyderco's more common models like your Delica and Endura models for instance.

But I actually run into people on occasion that do carry Spyderco stainless folders. And most of them I chat with from time to time are not aficionados like we are. But they are out there I can assure you. But unfortunately I see and talk to many, many more that have fake Spyderco, Benchmade & Boker look-a-likes ( knock offs) made in 3rd World Hell Holes that they bought at Rip-mart or some convenience store for $5 or less. And what blows me away is that most of them claim their knife is every bit as good as the top notch Spyderco's that I carry. And today I had my STainless RESCUE SE and my M390 Military .>> go figure
Im sure they are out there, i just usually never come across people with much of an appreciation for my SS collection.

Idk how people carry knock offs... there are plenty of good cheap brands, and most known companies like spyderco or Bm put out at least one semi-affordable knife. Why get knock off when you can go for something like boker which atleast has a reliable reputation and will service their knives. When you buy direct knock offs you only get the look and basic functionality. It doesnt make sense.

RXOSIBN.jpg

Well thats pretty! Is that custom engraving then?
Mail call today. It's laser engraved. It's going to tear up some pockets. The engravings are beneath the clip too.
Perfect specimen before engraving though.

On the clip side...definitely going to rock some pockets. But still super spot on engraving, very nice

That's an impressive SS collection!

You got that right!! Because I've envied Brother "Reject's" great world class collection of Spyders for quite some now. There are very few super Spyders that guy don't own>> or maybe he does and he just hasn't shown them to us yet :D This has really been a great thread from it's beginning because I've felt that for some time now that Spyderco's Stainless handled models have rarely ever got the respect they richly deserve. I still rank the ATS-55 era, Stainless RESCUE as one of my top 3 favorite "user" Spyderco models ever.

And I can never ever forget my very first Spyderco model>> which was a Stainless handled, GIN-1, full SE MARINER model that I got in the spring of 1995. Three of my first 10 Spyders I got were stainless handled. And that Stainless handle POLICE model will probably be Spyderco's ultimate flagship model for years to come.

You got that right!! Because I've envied Brother "Reject's" great world class collection of Spyders for quite some now. There are very few super Spyders that guy don't own>> or maybe he does and he just hasn't shown them to us yet :D This has really been a great thread from it's beginning because I've felt that for some time now that Spyderco's Stainless handled models have rarely ever got the respect they richly deserve. I still rank the ATS-55 era, Stainless RESCUE as one of my top 3 favorite "user" Spyderco models ever.

And I can never ever forget my very first Spyderco model>> which was a Stainless handled, GIN-1, full SE MARINER model that I got in the spring of 1995. Three of my first 10 Spyders I got were stainless handled. And that Stainless handle POLICE model will probably be Spyderco's ultimate flagship model for years to come.
Im glad you seasoned guys have enjoyed the thread, i definitely appreciate all the great responses and pictures! Really hoping to get my collection to this point someday!

Ultra jealous of the PE babyhorn and karahawk (thats it right??)

The Karahawk is actually the newer Spyderco Karambit that features the wave device.

1NJzLdg.jpg

This is the Karahawk....imho one of the best concealable self defense karambits ever made.

Hi Reject,

I've got a full SpyderEdge A.T.R. in stainless, as I mentioned in JD's ATS-55 thread it's possible the coolest looking knife of that era! My only complaint is the clip design, though if the clip was better I wouldn't now own an as new knife :)

Hi Reject,

I've got a full SpyderEdge A.T.R. in stainless, as I mentioned in JD's ATS-55 thread it's possible the coolest looking knife of that era! My only complaint is the clip design, though if the clip was better I wouldn't now own an as new knife :)

Hey I couldn't agree more because had they put the same pocket clip on both the ATR models that they used on the legendary GUNTING model it would have been a completely different animal all together IMO. I also wished they had used a different pocket clip on the Dodo model as well. That wire clip on the Dodo has hung up on me more than a couple of times and it wasn't pleasant either.

Back