Any news on the Spydiechef's availability?

The things I wouldn't do in the name of science and also my dedication to BF.com and my brudahs in knife :D

OK, I just gloved up, the "no-cry" type which you buy for use in the kitchen or to use with Wicked-Edge (5th or 6th degree, I don't recall exactly but probably the lesser), started spine whacking on a thick piece of foam at first and when that didn't fail on me, I put a piece of towel on my wooden work bench and started whacking harder (no gutter minds here; remember this is for SCIENCE!) moving my hand up and down the handle! Nothing, nada! Then I started dickering with the blade applying spine to edge force to disengage the lock and still nada! Now, I would've applied a lot more force and pressure if I was wearing thick faux leather or something work gloves, what I did was no less than say a pineapple test.

Could it be that what you got and received is a weak faulty one? I still have a tad or stick or rather click, but I'm fine with this sample as it is.

Or, it could be something else entirely. 15 posts in 6 years all about lock slip on 2 knives.

TLDR? Quack, quack.

Mine had zero issues with the 10 medium spine whacks I did AFTER I had the lock fail (I’m a curious dude lol). It didn’t like 3 light wiggles. The lock bar on these Spyderco’s are ridiculously narrow. Wiggling the blade makes it flex and move back towards the spine then forward and slightly left where it then fails.

I've had mine for a while. And being left handed it's easier for me to middle finger flick than open with my thumb.

I twisted, torqued and tried to wiggle the blade and got nothing. Then I went to soft(ish) spine whacks.

PfJ9oef.jpg

The things I wouldn't do in the name of science and also my dedication to BF.com and my brudahs in knife :D

OK, I just gloved up, the "no-cry" type which you buy for use in the kitchen or to use with Wicked-Edge (5th or 6th degree, I don't recall exactly but probably the lesser), started spine whacking on a thick piece of foam at first and when that didn't fail on me, I put a piece of towel on my wooden work bench and started whacking harder (no gutter minds here; remember this is for SCIENCE!) moving my hand up and down the handle! Nothing, nada! Then I started dickering with the blade applying spine to edge force to disengage the lock and still nada! Now, I would've applied a lot more force and pressure if I was wearing thick faux leather or something work gloves, what I did was no less than say a pineapple test.

Could it be that what you got and received is a weak faulty one? I still have a tad or stick or rather click, but I'm fine with this sample as it is.

Interesting! I like your style!

It very well could be bad luck. I'll know later this week when I get a second one.

Or, it could be something else entirely. 15 posts in 6 years all about lock slip on 2 knives.

TLDR? Quack, quack.

I used to spend more time on forums than I did on the hobbies they were for. I don't anymore. However, I at least give enough of a shit to upload an avatar and pay for a premium membership.

I just recently started collecting knives again this year and have since purchased 15 benchmades, 10 Spydercos, 3 ZT's, some Cold Steels, and other random knives. Of these 30+ knives, the 2 that have lock issues are from the same brand and factory. I felt the community might get value from me sharing these lock issues. I could post about my collection's fit and finish, build quality, edge retention, etc... but that's all well documented info found both on this forum and youtube.

"15 posts in 6 years all about lock slip on 2 knives" is correct. Thank you for noticing, you are now only 287 more posts away from 13,000 posts!

Last edited:
So here's what I think happened.

The subject was opening and closing the knife repeatedly to try and force a failure. During this process of opening and closing the subject didn't correctly open the knife'; the lock only partially engaged.

Then when the subject put his thumb on the lock to cycle it again the blade closed on his thumb with unexpected force.

I wouldn't expect this to happen to anyone else's knife unless they foolishly try to duplicate the subject's methods.

So here's what I think happened.

The subject was opening and closing the knife repeatedly to try and force a failure. During this process of opening and closing the subject didn't correctly open the knife'; the lock only partially engaged.

Then when the subject put his thumb on the lock to cycle it again the blade closed on his thumb with unexpected force.

I wouldn't expect this to happen to anyone else's knife unless they foolishly try to duplicate the subject's methods.

False. The cut would be in a different location. What exactly do you think I’m trying to gain? I have zero motive to lie about what happened. If I cared what some fellow nerds on a knife forum thought of me I wouldn’t post about me cutting myself. Haha.

You’re overthinking this buddy.

False. The cut would be in a different location. What exactly do you think I’m trying to gain? I have zero motive to lie about what happened. If I cared what some fellow nerds on a knife forum thought of me I wouldn’t post about me cutting myself. Haha.

You’re overthinking this buddy.
It's your picture. Where would the cut be then if you didn't properly lock the blade and then closed it on your thumb by accident undoing the lock?

There was no accident. He didn't hold the Lockbar in place with a cutting grip. Then applied closing pressure to the blade and torqued on it walking the lockbar out of the blade sear til it closed on his thumb! That's not an accident!:rolleyes:

I tried doing everything to make both my pre CQI and CQI model fail, spine whacking really hard, the only thing I noticed was the lockbar engaging even more, on both knives, so they pass the EDC test for me

Reactions: mb>
It's your picture. Where would the cut be then if you didn't properly lock the blade and then closed it on your thumb by accident undoing the lock?

When you undo a lock the right side of your thumb is in the blade path, not the very front center tip of your thumb. Your theory would mean the cut wouldn’t be where it is.

Last edited:
Hopefully this puts things to bed. New Spydiechef and some stainless mesh gloves came in today. The first knife was a fluke. The new knife is rock solid and has no issues; the lock also has no stick. I’m very pleased.

I've had mine for a while. And being left handed it's easier for me to middle finger flick than open with my thumb.

I twisted, torqued and tried to wiggle the blade and got nothing. Then I went to soft(ish) spine whacks.

Also left handed, and checked my newly arrived chef. Rock solid, something would have to break for it close up without intent.

Good news, Spydiechef is back in stock at White Mountain, 10pcs batch! Prolly the most convenient source for international shoppers with the low shipping rate and the many coupon codes (see google or youtubes by WMK shoppers), so i pulled the trigger.

My local geman dealers told me that the knife will be back in gemani importer's stock soon too but their prices are higher, of course.

Last edited:
Back