Any Pirates Here? How about an HI Cutlass?

How about the HI Bura Saber?

I was waiting on someone to come up with a pic of this thing. I'd proudly board any ship with that thing, but only after I'd given the enemy crew a few doses of the grape. Some would call that cowardice. I call it prudence.

well, I would buy the saber as well but it isn't a cutlass.

believe me, I have been all through all of the depths of the HI items of days gone by... ;)

I don't know, Warty, if you really want it, it might be worth the price of a one-off.

I've got a couple of things I'm trying to get my pathetic drawing skills to accurately represent, and run them by Yangdu, and in all probability, they'll be one-offs. But, it'll be worth it in the end.

I'd like to see a Condor Jungle Knife style blade done by HI... and an Ulu... I got pretty consistant at putting my ideas on paper, graph paper is a HUGE help. Now I have stacks of graph paper notebooks full of sweet designs that will never see the light of day, because there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to afford to get them all produced.

i'm more into 'real' pirate swords, like this one taken off an indonesian pirate in the sulu sea in the 19th c. :
Blue003_DCE.jpg
fullered steel blade, probably a modified european blade,
tip cut back to 'klewang' style, brass guard and grip, leather wrapped. deerskin scabbard with some hair still on it.

or this dutch klewang/dutch naval cutlass taken off a german schnell boot boarded by the royal navy in WW2, sort of a 'pirate' vessel ;)
klewang2.jpg

this one was also made by milsco later in ww2 as a US naval cutlass, and copied by cold steel (who messed up the balance i hear, by not distal tapering the blade like the original)

a nice fullered naval hanger from HI with a simple heavy brass stirrup guard would be nice tho.

another 19c. hanger, just to be cruel.
hanger_DCE.jpg

While the cutlass is a pirate symbol in Western lore, I would feel that the style of HI are not suited to a sword of that type.

The character Soa Fang in Pirates of the Carribian carried a Dao. I would bet Indian Pirates carried scimitars and I'm sure a pirate would carry a khukuri if he had one available.

I'm sure a pirate would carry a khukuri if he had one available.

Because Pirates of the Carribean is an accurate depiction of historical piracy and their weapons of choice, and you have apparently anthropologically witnessed and documented Pirates' wishes of prefered styles of weaponry and combat?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few pirates used khuks. They got around a good bit and, if one did come across a good khuk, I'm sure he would have recognized what an awesome boarding weapon it would make.

Because Pirates of the Carribean is an accurate depiction of historical piracy and their weapons of choice, and you have apparently anthropologically witnessed and documented Pirates' wishes of prefered styles of weaponry and combat?

I think you take the internets too seriously.:p

Look, I am not saying I wouldn't love to see HI make a nice fullered Klewang too. I would! I'd be all over the both of them.
I guess in the end maybe I shouldn't have made this about pirates and more about cutlasses. I just want a cutlass. Oh well.

Looks like a sound suggestion just got lost.
I see no reason why the khamis would not be able to make a blade of this type. They are capable of making practically anything else which is suggested. I think the picture of the naval cutlass is the closest thing to what is being discussed and as such I think the idea has merit. Lets remember the post is not about pirates and what they had or didn't have , it is an idea for a blade and whether it has popular appeal. It would be good if we could get back on track.

I think you take the internets too seriously.:p

I'm just sayin' if the man wants a wicked cutlass made by HI, I sure am not going to stop him... that's the beauty of companies like this. You draw it up, they can make it! HI has such a unique style that I think they could pull it off really well....

Warty's design appeals to me. Simple single fullered with a simple handle and a D guard. With the full length fullered blade balanced with the D guard and the chiruwa handle it ought to handle well.

One thing good about fullers for forged blades is it enables a meaty amount of material behind the edge without making it too thick/heavy and unwieldy.

Good thing you did not make the edge straight from the handle. The curve (kind of like a recurve) makes it look attractive.

i think the habaki could be done away with (i also think the habaki bolsters on khuks should be done away with ;)). the cho would be a nice stress raiser in a long sword, but would ensure you knew exactly where the blade was going to snap. handgrip looks OK, need a bit more finger room. blade needs some nice deep fullers, (hi in japanese).
like this:
images

if you can get the sarkis to make a rounded brass scabbard end rather than the traditional point, it would be good too.

Like I said, I guess it was a mistake to even mention pirates, I was really asking about a cutlass.

Warty, can you find a pic of the type of cutlass you are looking to have made off the 'net?

I've looked around and there's a very wide interpretation of what a "cutlass" is.

Some seem to call "any sword a pirate carried" a cutlass, thus getting things that look like daos to scimitars to sabres all being called a cutlass.

I know you drew up what you were looking for, but I'm having trouble visualizing quite what you're after -- maybe that's others' problem as well.

Hey Warty, I like your idea of a Cutlass style sword from HI. Wouldn't be able to afford one for a while do to school, but still I'd like to see it happen. C/P Said it, find a picture of what you want, I'm sure it would help.

I shall look around and see what I find. I don't know what all is out there.

I am even willing to leave the guard unembellished to avoid any issues there, that was just me having fun.

Don't know if I will find one but I will look, this one came out of my brain, which is sort of scary when you get down to it. :)

Back